U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 03:45 AM

102 posts, read 82,291 times

Advertisements

Hi guys, I am in the process of reforming a flat which i bought last year and I am currently reforming the living room. The problem is i cant seem to find a usable distribution of the space because of the bay window and narrow space. At the moment i have the TV infront of the bay window which im really not keen on and the sofa up against the 3m wall which fits in fine with a table and chairs in the area by the patio doors... I have to eventually replace the sofa so that isnt really a problem, but I just can´t seem to find the best way of distributing things and it is important because they have to do the electrical installation and i need to decide on where i want things to go. Anyway, here is the plan of the lounge i put together, maybe you guys have more imagination than me.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 09:03 AM

10,901 posts, read 6,385,047 times
Could you put the couch in front of the bay window with a sofa table behind it with plants on top?

Old 08-14-2014, 10:28 AM

3,405 posts, read 4,728,062 times
I'm confused, the bay window is all doors? Why are there four doors in a row? Or is it windows? They swing open like that?

Old 08-14-2014, 10:36 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,955,940 times
I find it difficult to see the television without straining my eyes if it is in front of windows unless you cover them ...then why have them at all???

Could you place your tv on the 3,30 wall and float the sofa across from it? A nice sectional would work well there. The area near the patio could be a work/library area by keeping a table/desk with a reading chair and line the wall with bookshelves. Position them so if you working at the table/desk you have a nice view through the patio doors. Near the bay window I would try and fashion a window seat with bench or a built in or dedicate it to few plants that would love the light.

Old 08-14-2014, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Could you put the couch in front of the bay window with a sofa table behind it with plants on top?
My neighbour downstairs has the sofa infront of the window... the problem is in the summer you get a really nice draft coming through them and it gets very hot here.. also there is the problem with opening them if the sofa is there.

Old 08-14-2014, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talloolla View Post
I find it difficult to see the television without straining my eyes if it is in front of windows unless you cover them ...then why have them at all???

Could you place your tv on the 3,30 wall and float the sofa across from it? A nice sectional would work well there. The area near the patio could be a work/library area by keeping a table/desk with a reading chair and line the wall with bookshelves. Position them so if you working at the table/desk you have a nice view through the patio doors. Near the bay window I would try and fashion a window seat with bench or a built in or dedicate it to few plants that would love the light.
I tried putting the sofa across the middle of the room and the problem was that i found it was very close to the TV.. maybe 2m or so and it didnt leave much room to get around it.

I would love to have the TV on a wall, but i am really finding it hard to find the right combination or to make the TV look better infront of the window... this is how i have it at the moment.

I definitely think you are right about keep the other area as a work area with a table and shelving. I had something similar in mind and I really want to make the most of the space without cluttering it too much.

Old 08-15-2014, 07:46 AM

1,167 posts, read 1,149,835 times
I'd put the tv on that short wall like you have in the first picture, sell the current couch and buy a new couch + occasional seating that's more streamlined and easier to place (if you're planning to replace it anyway). Look for a couch designed for apartment living (still well crafted and comfortable, but with less bulk in the frame wasting space), and then you could put a couple of club or smaller armchairs in the bay window with a small side table between them. Don't go looking for matchy matchy lounge sets, but rather separate pieces that complement each other.

Old 08-15-2014, 07:52 AM

Its a bulky sofa which i was given, but it is very comfy.. the problem with these more modern streamline sofas is that they dont look very comfortable and dont support your back. Maybe putting the TV on the wall will create more distance between the sofa and tv... It just seems very close having it like in the first picture.

Old 08-15-2014, 08:17 AM

1,167 posts, read 1,149,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTunes View Post
Its a bulky sofa which i was given, but it is very comfy.. the problem with these more modern streamline sofas is that they dont look very comfortable and dont support your back. Maybe putting the TV on the wall will create more distance between the sofa and tv... It just seems very close having it like in the first picture.
I've sat on extremely comfortable "streamlined" sofas with good back support (important for me as I have back problems) and horribly uncomfortable old fashioned over stuffed sofas. Looks can be deceptive and you don't really know unless you try a bunch out to find one that suits you. Also, not all sofas designed for apartment living are "modern" styled. There's a wide range of styles now as there is a greater demand for less bulky furniture.

As for the tv and sofa distance, I can't tell but your tv looks to be about 40", which would make the optimal viewing distance from your seat to the tv about right at 2m or so. I know you mentioned it being less space to walk through there, but how often are you going to be walking back and forth in that space since it's not a through way?

Old 08-15-2014, 08:25 AM

10,901 posts, read 6,385,047 times
I have a similar sized living room so I get what you are saying about the TV feeling too close when arranged in certain ways. Maybe you could put the couch on 3,30m wall facing the dining room. Put the TV on the 3m wall and maybe have a chair near the door. You may not be facing the TV directly to watch but you can still see it from that angle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating