Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2014, 09:34 AM

656 posts, read 1,207,936 times

Advertisements

I have a large 4wx6h feet cloth painting for which i am trying to make a frame...some kind of plywood material in the bottom and acrylic sheet on the top are the option i have come up with. Not sure what else i need to build this frame. Any ideas with links to materials i need to get to finish this will be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 10:47 AM

4,096 posts, read 6,216,301 times
Is the cloth stretched over lumber? What is it mounted to? What kind of cloth is it, silk or canvas or? Do you want it to be free floating on a backer board?

Are you liking modern or traditional?

There is no reason you can't make a normal frame from mouldings and lumber. If you are in business, an artist or photographer, you can get them at discount Picture Frame Moulding - Wholesale or https://www.larsonjuhl.com/for-the-trade.aspx

Try youtube they have a lot of framing tutorials. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkCn9FCLbF8

Old 08-14-2014, 11:43 AM

It looks like a velvet cloth on the front and black tarp material in the back, it can be folded like a regular cloth. I am not an artist, bought this nice painting and trying to make a frame to hang on the wall. Just curious if i can put some screws on the acrylic on the corners to bind the 3 together (acrylic, painting and wood). and be able to put mouldings on top of the acrylic and just glue.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:13 PM

Can you wrap it around a large piece of plywood before proceeding? It would make the framing easier.

It might be easier and more proper to hang it like a tapestry off a rod. Let it fall loose against the wall.

Old 08-15-2014, 12:58 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,045,317 times
Mount the "canvas" on a frame-

Save on Canvas Stretcher Bars/Canvas Stretchers, 145 Sizes|Utrecht Art Supplies

One of the simplest and best "frames" I've ever seen for large canvases is nothing more than lattice painted black and nailed to the side of the stretcher frame. Flush on the backside leaves about a 1/8" reveal on the face side. Functional, simplistic, and contemporary- all for less than $20.00.

Old 08-15-2014, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
Can you wrap it around a large piece of plywood before proceeding? It would make the framing easier.

It might be easier and more proper to hang it like a tapestry off a rod. Let it fall loose against the wall.
good idea, will think about it, but it may get dusty!

Old 08-15-2014, 03:41 PM

Yes it will get dusty hanging like a tapestry but just take it down and shake it or beat it with a rattan rug whip gently outside. Do that every other month and it should be fine.

Old 08-15-2014, 10:14 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,045,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
...shake it or beat it with a rattan rug whip gently outside. Do that every other month and it should be fine.
...and then after that light it with a match!

It's a "velvet painting"! You know, those roadside paintings of Elvis and "The Duke"- or better yet; the ones of pinup girls. They're not made to take a beating! "They" shouldn't be "made" at all- but that me.

Anyway, the best course is usually a vacuum and a soft bristle brush attachment. Most vacs will have too much suck for the velvet- so reduce the pressure with restriction; like pantyhose over the end of the hose or closing part of the hose end with duct tape. Then gently use the brush on the "painting"- apply just enough pressure to loosen the dust.

Old 08-17-2014, 09:53 PM

If it is synthetic velvet it can stand a light shaking or beating as suggested. It's not full throttle. Here is a an overview how to care for velvet paintings. http://www.ehow.com/how_5136534_clea...paintings.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating