U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 07:07 AM

1,306 posts, read 3,426,369 times

Advertisements

Minwax has a "whitewash pickling" water-based stain, and am wondering how this might look on red oak floors (the project is a contemporary home remodel). I prefer lighter flooring like natural maple, but am refinishing the existing red oak floors as a cost-saving measure. Has anyone ever used this stain on red oak?

Thanks in advance.

Wood Stain Colors - Minwax Stain Colors & Wood Finish Guide | Minwax
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2014, 07:15 AM

14,704 posts, read 21,714,379 times
Do not do it.
We did to our renovation in 1987.
10 years later, it was clearly out of style. Refinished the floors to a light hickory color when we sold after 24 years.
Stick with traditional, natural colors.

Old 08-19-2014, 10:44 AM

39,062 posts, read 48,006,211 times
The only way you can tell if you like it is to do a small section and see. I have only used the white wash stain on a light, birch bead board and it is VERY watery with just a bit of pigment. I wonder if it would even show up on a red oak floor?

Old 08-19-2014, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Do not do it.
10 years later, it was clearly out of style. Refinished the floors to a light hickory color when we sold after 24 years.
Really?? I didn't imagine that to be a trend issue. Do you have a picture of your old floors you could share?

Old 08-19-2014, 02:55 PM

13,393 posts, read 51,351,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Do not do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Paddler View Post
Really?? I didn't imagine that to be a trend issue. Do you have a picture of your old floors you could share?

I have to concur- the late 80's, early 90's pickled oak for flooring was quite popular- about a 5yr span. Now, GONE AND FORGOTTEN!!!
The Biggest drawback that I recall- as the poly starts to yellow- it REALLY YELLOWS because of the white background. Oak floors that could almost pass for old maple (color wise).

Old 08-19-2014, 06:04 PM

25,326 posts, read 16,297,798 times
Yes, pickled wood was a flash in the pan. Lots of people post about what to do with their pickled oak kitchen cabs that look so dated now.

Why not just keep the natural oak color. It won't be the same as natural maple, but can be quite light. We actually stained natural oak dark in our present house. But the natural color was akin to natural maple, with more grain. I think the grain is interesting myself. Although I do prefer it dark.

Old 08-19-2014, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Yes, pickled wood was a flash in the pan. Lots of people post about what to do with their pickled oak kitchen cabs that look so dated now.

Why not just keep the natural oak color. It won't be the same as natural maple, but can be quite light. We actually stained natural oak dark in our present house. But the natural color was akin to natural maple, with more grain. I think the grain is interesting myself. Although I do prefer it dark.
I think I may be confusing the terminology "whitewashing" and "pickling", which, upon further thought, may be two different things. I don't like the "pickled" cabinets that I've seen in very traditional cabinets . . . maybe "whitewashing" is the proper term.

Yes, doing a natural red oak is another viable option. Interestingly, I either like the really light, natural look, or the really dark brown look, but the space is not that large, so trying to create a bit of openness.

Old 08-19-2014, 07:16 PM

14,704 posts, read 21,714,379 times
Default No

Quote:
Do you have a picture of your old floors you could share?
No
Don't have photos of old.

Old 08-21-2014, 03:33 PM

25,326 posts, read 16,297,798 times
Quote:
I think I may be confusing the terminology "whitewashing" and "pickling", which, upon further thought, may be two different things. I don't like the "pickled" cabinets that I've seen in very traditional cabinets . . . maybe "whitewashing" is the proper term.

Yes, doing a natural red oak is another viable option. Interestingly, I either like the really light, natural look, or the really dark brown look, but the space is not that large, so trying to create a bit of openness.
I don't think using dark stain on oak will make your space look smaller. Use lighter toned cooler neutrals on the walls, and I think you will fall in love. But, if you start a Pinterest album of light floors and dark floors, you might be able to decide about this with more confidence.

I feel that darker floors are more on trend now. In 2000-02, when the homes in our subdivision were built, the floors were usually natural. I think the darker floor updates homes, myself. But you should make up your own mind. There is not an absolutely right or wrong here.

Actually the real reason I wanted dark floors was that I had had lighter wall to wall carpet in my previous house for a long time, and I was totally tired of it. I thought that a darker floor would "ground" my home.

Old 08-22-2014, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I don't think using dark stain on oak will make your space look smaller. Use lighter toned cooler neutrals on the walls, and I think you will fall in love. But, if you start a Pinterest album of light floors and dark floors, you might be able to decide about this with more confidence.

I feel that darker floors are more on trend now. In 2000-02, when the homes in our subdivision were built, the floors were usually natural. I think the darker floor updates homes, myself. But you should make up your own mind. There is not an absolutely right or wrong here.

Actually the real reason I wanted dark floors was that I had had lighter wall to wall carpet in my previous house for a long time, and I was totally tired of it. I thought that a darker floor would "ground" my home.
Thanks for the tips. I was going to go with something light and neutral in the main living space . . . like this: Believable Buff SW 6120 - Yellow Paint Color - Sherwin-Williams

My home is going to be more contemporary, which makes me think of lighter colored floors, but I suppose there is no hard and fast rule, and since oak is not really my favorite wood, I may end up going darker, like this: Stain Color Burnished Walnut - Sherwin-Williams

or this: http://www.sherwin-williams.com/imag...ark_walnut.png
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating