U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 04:43 PM

25,466 posts, read 16,415,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribechamy View Post
Just this past week I spent $20 on a few yardsale lamps. Currently have four, two in opposite corners, two on tables near the cushiest seats. It's not awesome but it is a lot brighter and cheaper than the several hundred quoted for wiring through the ceiling. "...make it do or do without..."
I don't actually think having overhead lighting in a living area is as important as having it in the kitchen. Good lights in the ceiling make working in the kitchen much more pleasant. You need overhead, or can lights, and lighting under cabs. This is the norm in newer homes now. It is what we got when we remodeled a kitchen in 2000. I remember that it made such a difference!

Yes it is pricey to get electrical work done in a home. But it is worth it, if you know what you want. Several years ago we had lighting put into a basement level living area, and it made a big difference. But I kept the lighting away from the TV area, because I saw no need to have it there. If you do reading in your living area, and if you work there or play games, or do other activities, it is a good idea to have new lighting put in. It really is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2014, 02:49 PM

3,315 posts, read 9,021,501 times
We have overhead lighting in each room but I prefer lamps. The overhead lighting (with the exception of the kitchen) seems glaring to me. Selected lighting just seems more personal and intimate.

I collect vintage lamps and restore them. So lighting by lamps is not only a necessity but something fun for us. We have 3-4 lamps per room -- usually one tall, floor lamp, two side lamps (not really matching but similar size) and a small lamp which can light up a corner, the desk, or the one we leave turned on if we go out for awhile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating