U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 04:19 PM

675 posts, read 1,349,515 times

Advertisements

I'm an overhead lighting advocate, but we have one room (living room) in our house with nothing but wall plugs and $0 in the budget right now for an electrician, so....

Can anyone help me figure out a good lighting scheme that will actually give us decent light? I know some people prefer area lamps for ambiance but I like a lot of light in a room, especially since we spend most of our time here. It's an 11'x13' rectangle with two windows on one wall and two doors on the adjacent wall. Right now we have just 2 table lamps with 800 Lumen LEDs, each in a corner of the room, and it's not really cutting it. If it weren't a huge wiring job I'd just put in a central ceiling fixture and call it a day but since I can't I'd love some advice.

# of lamps? Types of lamps? Wattage of bulbs? Placement? Any tips and tricks? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2014, 05:57 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,272,433 times
How about a torchiere floor lamp with multiple stem lamps. They come in most styles and you can move the stem lamps to light the darkened areas.

Old 08-24-2014, 06:28 PM

20,419 posts, read 39,152,213 times
You need task lighting.
And the kind you get and the lumens they output depends upon what you do in there.

BTW - I despise overhead lighting (except over eating areas)... but like lots of light too!

Old 08-24-2014, 07:03 PM

Haha, well, I'm not fixing watches or anything, it's just a regular living room with sofas and chairs for reading, talking, watching TV, etc., not any specific tasks. I just like a lot of light to illuminate everything and make a room cheerful. The overhead fixtures I prefer have multiple lights so all parts of a room are well-lit.

Retire - I've never seen one of those before, will have to check it out!

Old 08-24-2014, 07:29 PM

20,156 posts, read 22,422,031 times
Get lights that aim light upward. It will reflect off the ceiling. Task lights aim down and more of a spot/local focus.

Old 08-25-2014, 06:50 AM

5,669 posts, read 5,580,812 times
I bought a floor lamp from Target which provides a pretty good amount of light:

Threshold

I have no overhead light in the LR and a darker LR (no sunlight) so I ended up buying two of these floor lamps and putting them diagonally to each other/opposite corners. (At first I tried to buy a different type of floor lamp BUT I just couldn't find anything else I liked/that provided a lot of light.) Then in the center of the room, I have a lamp on my end table.

If I hadn't gotten the second floor lamp, I would have put a lamp in one corner (on one end table), a lamp in the middle (the other end table) and the floor lamp opposite to the corner with the lamp.

Get some lamps with good wattage and very light colored lampshades. Try to spread your lighting out. (I have a hard time picturing things so I'd offer a better suggestion if you had a picture of your room.)

Old 08-25-2014, 03:46 PM

25,396 posts, read 16,357,117 times
Go to a lighting store and ask about the different kinds of bulbs you can buy. Different light bulbs put out different sorts of light. You could look at lamps there too. As soon as you can, do have an electrician put in some down lights, but investigate what sort of light bulbs you want for those too. There are lots of choices now. And think about installing a dimmer too.

We have down lights all over our current house, and I like having them on especially in the winter when it is cloudy all time here. It is a pain to change bulbs though. And, I don't think you can over illuminate a kitchen.

For the immediate future, put a lamp by every chair and at the ends of the sofa. Where ever there might be reading or doing a task, make sure there is a lamp. Keep them away from the TV though.

Old 08-28-2014, 08:13 AM

1,167 posts, read 1,149,608 times
How much are you actually planning to spend on alternate lighting solutions? Floor/table lamps will all add up for anything decent in quality and style.

You may be better off saving your pennies to have an electrician come in to do the wiring when you can afford it and calling it a day since that's ultimately what you do actually want in the room. Have you gotten any recommendations for electricians in the area, called around for a few quotes?

Old 08-28-2014, 04:04 PM

Just this past week I spent $20 on a few yardsale lamps. Currently have four, two in opposite corners, two on tables near the cushiest seats. It's not awesome but it is a lot brighter and cheaper than the several hundred quoted for wiring through the ceiling. "...make it do or do without..."

Old 08-28-2014, 04:46 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,149,608 times
More power to ya if you can do it on the cheap and with decent looking lamps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating