Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 09:38 PM

450 posts, read 5,020,968 times

Advertisements

Is it OK to use regular interior upholstered furniture in screen porch? What the risks/negatives? Outdoor furniture is too expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 06:48 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
Does it have exposure to the elements? If it is a true screen porch I would say no, because the moisture and humidity depending, you could wind with moldy furniture. At the very least it will smell damp and hold the dampness.

Old 08-26-2014, 07:22 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,018,321 times
In my area, it would never work because of the humidity. It would take less than a week for it to become moldy, soggy, and just plain nasty.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:18 AM

50,335 posts, read 63,906,560 times
You will, most definitely, get mildew on anything not intended to be used outside. You MIGHT get by for a few years if you slipcovered everything with outdoor fabric. This would repel moisture and mildew. By the time you spent the money on that though, you might as well by some inexpensive outdoor furniture.
You can have furniture with cushions in a covered area, but the foam innards are protected by the outdoor fabric and they don't support mildew.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:42 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,018,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass101 View Post
Is it OK to use regular interior upholstered furniture in screen porch? What the risks/negatives? Outdoor furniture is too expensive.
Another option is look on Craigslist. I always see outdoor furniture for sale on there.

Old 08-26-2014, 10:32 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Your answer- No. NoVa's weather is not conducive.

If you were in Tempe, AZ- maybe. But then, why in the Hell would you want a screened-in porch- it's too friggin' HOT!!!

Old 08-26-2014, 11:40 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
In addition to everything already mentioned, it's all levels of tacky.

Old 08-26-2014, 11:52 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
If you live in an HOA, I'm sure it's prohibited because HOAs are all about dictating what's tacky.

Even if you don't live in an HOA, check your local zoning laws because many areas have banned upholstered furniture on porches.

Ann Arbor City Council passes ordinance banning couches on porches

Officials to start enforcing porch couch ban today - The Michigan Daily

Bloomington bans porch couches with new ordinance | Fox 59

Students aren't taking couch ban lying down - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Lawrence bans couches on front porches | The Kansas City Star

This town is stressing it's a fire hazard:

Couch Concerns: The Risk of Upholstered Furniture on Porches | NBC 10 Philadelphia

Old 08-26-2014, 04:31 PM

5,048 posts, read 9,614,434 times
Mold, mildew, bleaching from sun if you don't want it bleached, rain coming in on it and those interior cushions don't dry like the outdoor stuff.

Now is a good time to check store sales, yard sales, moving sales and, as someone suggested, CL. See if your area has a freecycle (freecycle.com) and local papers. I remember getting some good bargains in the Reston newspaper.

Drive around after the yard sale to see what's now in the trash by the curb.

Drive around on the night before trash day and see what goodies they've got.

Oh and Goodwill. I got a great antique wood chair there lately. I had already planned on white paint on whatever I could find. But this one was already painted white. Even better. I got a beachy bag with rope straps to hand on it. All for about $6. I'm still looking for a beachy/nautical small pillow at a good low price. I put the setup by my door on the porch.

We had a yard sale where I had some beloved floral outdoor chair cushions that were so faded and so full of cat hair that it would take forever to clean them and even then they would be faded and, worse, flat and very unfluffy anymore. I just had to pass them on. So I thought they were just too awful to charge for and put them in the free pile. Someone said she did not mind a bit and took them all gratefully. So don't rule out one's person's trash.

Don't think new. Think Krylon. Or whatever the brand is that Dollar General is selling now. (That's spray paint).

Old 08-27-2014, 07:31 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
many areas have banned upholstered furniture on porches.
Really picking on college students, aren't they? Poor kids.

We had a lovely olive green Naugahyde couch on our front porch in college.

As for the fire hazard nonsense, it's just that. Outdoor upholstery burns just as easily as indoor upholstery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating