Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 01:54 PM

1,379 posts, read 3,920,159 times

Advertisements

I plan to go really dark with my kitchen cabinets (i.e. espresso) to provide some contrast with the lighter-toned hardwood flooring. Should I go with dark or lighter granite countertops?

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 01:56 PM

22,587 posts, read 47,649,975 times
Go with what you like and with what goes with your paint selection!

Old 10-27-2014, 02:02 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,988,331 times
I personally would go with something light, but there's no hard rules about it. Does the room get a lot of natural light? Do you have enough task lighting? If you don't get a lot of natural light that would convince me to go with lighter counters even more. Plus, I just like how that looks:

Kitchens

Reaume Construction & Design - Traditional - Kitchen - los angeles - by Reaume Construction & Design

Traditional Kitchen

Old 10-27-2014, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
I personally would go with something light, but there's no hard rules about it. Does the room get a lot of natural light? Do you have enough task lighting? If you don't get a lot of natural light that would convince me to go with lighter counters even more. Plus, I just like how that looks:

Kitchens

Reaume Construction & Design - Traditional - Kitchen - los angeles - by Reaume Construction & Design

Traditional Kitchen
The room gets tons of natural light, but I very much like the first link you posted. Thanks.

p.s. paint color will likely be in the light/neutral/brown family.

Old 10-27-2014, 07:30 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,988,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Paddler View Post
The room gets tons of natural light, but I very much like the first link you posted. Thanks.

p.s. paint color will likely be in the light/neutral/brown family.
That one was my favorite, too.

Old 10-27-2014, 08:31 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
I like the contrast of light counters with dark cabinets too. I'm getting cherry java cabinets and a marble look laminate. Eventually I'll replace that with a solid surface counter but my guess is that I'll end up with something light then too. If you are going with more of light tan/brown paint, there are some light cabinets that are a bit more on the creamy side vs. white, which would look great.

Old 10-28-2014, 07:46 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,420,628 times
I've been struggling with deciding this as well. But my cabinets in my new house are dark cherry and the floors are dark cherry. So I think I'm going with white quartz with a marble type look so while the counter tops are light they have a balance of the dark hint marble as well. Now, I have to decide on the back splash color.

Old 10-28-2014, 08:16 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I like the contrast of light counters with dark cabinets too. I'm getting cherry java cabinets and a marble look laminate. Eventually I'll replace that with a solid surface counter but my guess is that I'll end up with something light then too. If you are going with more of light tan/brown paint, there are some light cabinets that are a bit more on the creamy side vs. white, which would look great.
Just to correct, I meant there are light counters that are more of a cream or off white vs. more of a true white that I think would look great with a very dark brown cabinet and beige/tan/brown toned paint.

Old 10-28-2014, 12:44 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,300,537 times
I say go with something fairly light and make sure your paint selection has the same undertones as your counters! For instance, if you have white marble/granite with greenish-gray veining, make sure the undertone in your paint is in that same family. A taupe that is too warm/brown will look "off" with the cool undertones of the marble I described.

Old 10-29-2014, 08:02 AM

What about this cabinet/countertop combination, but with a much lighter flooring, like a natural maple or hickory? Too much contrast?

Kitchens
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating