U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 10:48 AM

2,885 posts, read 3,619,334 times

Advertisements

I still believe there no wrong or right, it's your home enjoy it! ....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2014, 11:01 AM

43,012 posts, read 95,102,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I used to keep my unsightly white toaster in a cupboard, but got tired of dragging it in and out, so it's out unless I'm having
I solved that problem by replacing my unsightly toaster with a very cool looking toaster. Problem solved.

Old 08-30-2014, 02:48 PM

39,178 posts, read 48,151,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I solved that problem by replacing my unsightly toaster with a very cool looking toaster. Problem solved.
LOL, good idea

Old 08-31-2014, 09:33 PM

4,675 posts, read 8,117,842 times
I only keep three items on my kitchen counter: the toaster, the tea kettle and the tea pot.

I hate kitchen clutter.

Old 08-31-2014, 09:53 PM

31,552 posts, read 34,806,039 times
Between the fridge and oven I have some cookbooks with a small coffee maker in front of them, next to a tray with salt, pepper, and some tea tins. On the other side of the oven I have some brass trivits (I also keep 1-2 loaves of bread here), a toaster oven sits in the corner and then I jump over my sink to find the fruit bowl and sometimes a platter too, the paper towel holder and a wine rack. Misc. times there are pots and pans drying or a cookie cooling rack sitting somewhere because stuff needs to cool somewhere

I have an island that is kept clean so we can pull out the grill or blender and do all our prep work there. I can also use the front part of the counters to prep since they are pretty deep even with all the stuff I keep out on them.

Old 09-01-2014, 03:27 PM

2,454 posts, read 2,779,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
My kitchen is a galley, with the stove and sink across from each other in the middle and the fridge at one end. The kitchen counters are divided into 4 spaces: on the sink side the "morning" area and the prep area, on the stove side the actual work area and the plating/holding area. Each area is a little over 4 feet of counter space.

The morning area has a Keurig, an espresso machine, a milk foamer and a toaster. Those are always out because they are too big to go anywhere and I don't have space for a separate appliance cabinet. The only thing out at the sink is the automatic soap dispenser (Simple Human brand - love that thing), the rest of the soaps, scrubber, sponges are below. The cabinets above the morning area are plates, dishes, serving bowls and platters. The dishwasher is below.

The prep area has nothing out. The cabinets above are storage containers, mixing bowls, spices, mise-en-place bowls. The drawers below are silverware, chopping boards, plastic wrap/foil/parchment paper. The cabinet below is all of my baking dishes.

The work area has one of those bamboo skewer knife holders with my four favorites knives (the rest of the knives are in a knife drawer below), a salt cellar, the pepper grinder. There are no cabinets above. Two drawers of misc utensils, by function, with a lot of dividers and one knife drawer. Below are big sliding drawers with pots, pans and lids.

The plating/holding area has two steel trivets for cooling, the old Bauer jar with my favorite wooden stirring spoons and a steel two tier basket for fruits and veggies. in the two big slide-out drawers (now with heavy-duty hinges) are my cast iron pans and dutch ovens. No cabinets above.

Next to the fridge at one end is the food pantry (which also holds the mixer, food processor, electric slow cooker), which is not quite twice the size of the fridge.

I've worked hard on this layout and it needs tweaking, but that is my theory. My counters are not bare, and the "morning counter" is a bit cluttered, but they are quite functional.
Mise-en-place bowls - I had to look that up. Prep bowls! Very nice. I have a cute set of brightly colored plastic ones, and also some small blue glass ones that i think are made by Pyrex. Very handy! I keep mine in the spice cupboard near the stove.

Old 09-02-2014, 03:32 AM

10,320 posts, read 19,762,321 times
My friends have an interesting cabinet at the end of their counter. It's like a cabinet with a garage door that opens onto the counter top and then folds up out of the way. Her appliances live in there and they just get pulled out when wanted. When the door is closed, you can't even tell it's there. They have another door in their house that is like opening the corner of the room to get to the office area they added. Each half of the door is on a different wall and they close into a door with a ninety degree angle in the middle of it. When the doors are shut, you don't even realize there is a door there let alone a room behind it. Very tidy although a bit surreal.

We have a smallish kitchen. The Kitchen Aid mixer lives in the corner of the "L" since it can be pushed back into the corner out of the way. Plus I like the way it looks anyway. The microwave, coffee maker and coffee canister live on the counter, although I suppose we could hide the canister away.

Old 09-02-2014, 08:17 AM

50,657 posts, read 40,098,064 times
I love decorating and I have a pretty big collection of Polish pottery - so thank goodness for dropped cabinets that I can use to display some bigger pieces!

On my counters I have:

Long wall:
Coffee maker
Cannisters next to it (coffee/tea station)
Dish drain

One side of stove:
Toaster
Small Polish pottery butter dish

Other side of stove:
Polish pottery utensil holder
Polish pottery spoon rest
Polish pottery serving dish on plate stand

Island:
Fruit bowl

I have a cabinet where I store my other small appliances. I can't stand clutter on kitchen counter tops, but I am not a minimalist. There's a middle ground I'm comfortable with. For instance, though my counter tops are not cluttered, I have three sets of antique salt and pepper shakers sitting above my stove, and like I said, on TOP of my cabinets I have all sorts of cool stuff - pottery, wine boxes, antique tins, etc.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:36 AM

1,498 posts, read 2,010,129 times
The only non decorative item in my kitchen is the Keurig (because it is used a couple times per day) and the hand soap by the sink. All other appliances, cooking utensils etc are stored away until needed. Same goes for the sugar canister that I bring out several times a day for coffee.

In the butlers pantry I have some Waterford decanters and stemware on the counter. But now that I don't entertain as much it is mostly just for decoration. However I'm getting tired of dusting them off all the time so they may go into a glass cabinet for their retirement!

Old 09-02-2014, 10:52 AM

2,885 posts, read 3,619,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
The only non decorative item in my kitchen is the Keurig (because it is used a couple times per day) and the hand soap by the sink. All other appliances, cooking utensils etc are stored away until needed. Same goes for the sugar canister that I bring out several times a day for coffee.

In the butlers pantry I have some Waterford decanters and stemware on the counter. But now that I don't entertain as much it is mostly just for decoration. However I'm getting tired of dusting them off all the time so they may go into a glass cabinet for their retirement!

Every cabinet , drawers were design to hold items, utensils, spices, pots & pans, cookie sheets , pizza, muffin pans there a knife drawer as well, even an appliances cabinet...I do leave out my Vitamix, tea kettle, food processor and juicer because I use these daily...I have found not having cluttered kitchen easy to keep clean after use , plus eveb the hubby can keep it looking good..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or