Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 07:14 PM

204 posts, read 388,918 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for opinions on how to fix up some incongruent kitchen "features" from multiple remodels. The main original element from the 1930s that remains in the kitchen is the wall tile and backsplash. It appears that the previous owners took great effort to build over rather than remove this tile, creating some weird elements of their custom remodel. My wife and I want to eventually fix up the kitchen and are really not sure whether the tile is worth keeping or not. We're not a fan of the color or design at all and they are not in the best shape, but perhaps there is some value to keeping them? Thoughts?

Keep, Cover, or Replace 1930's Kitchen Tile-20140901_194930.jpg

Also, bonus for any ideas about what we can do about these cabinets (custom sized and functional, but cheap plastic veneer) or the places where the tiles are currently covered by the countertop and with black plastic backsplash (the shiny part of the bottom picture).

Keep, Cover, or Replace 1930's Kitchen Tile-20140901_195315.jpg

Keep, Cover, or Replace 1930's Kitchen Tile-20140901_195208.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2014, 08:39 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,025,167 times
The cabinets are way too modern for the tile. They grey walls and the brown cabinets are all wrong for that tile. Being a Pittsburgher, I'm not a big fan of black and yellow décor, but I'm sure some Steeler fans would love that tile even though it's not outright gold. Yellow and black is a bumblebee to me.

I think you'll discover the previous homeowners didn't remove the tile because those are plaster walls. Taking the tile down is going to be a much bigger job than you can imagine. Since the tile goes behind the cabinets, you may have to take out the cabinets to tear out the tile.

It is possible to paint tile. You can transform that into all sorts of styles. Just google painting tile and start researching. I can't advise on specific direction to take the look because I don't know your style.
Tell us your dream kitchen look, and we'll see if we can find pictures of tile that has been painted to better match your style.

Old 09-01-2014, 08:58 PM

Thanks for the painting suggestion, that's definitely something to investigate. What kind of paint do you think would adhere best? And I think you're right, the walls appear to be plaster... didn't realize that makes removal so much more difficult.

Old 09-01-2014, 11:55 PM

1 posts, read 4,209 times
I wouldn't replace the tile only grouting it and add some glossy cover to it! its so original "I love Black and Yellow", the problem from my point of view is the combination of the cabinet's color and the "Blue!!!" wall painting! I would suggest painting cabinets black the wall fair lemon yellow "or plain white" the floor could be white and black "Stripes /blocks" add some yellow accent and black decorative items! it would look marvels if you could imagine what I have on mind!!

Old 09-02-2014, 03:25 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,022,266 times
That gray color doesn't "pop" the tile at all. Maybe they are too similar in hue. If it were mine, I'd keep the tile, but paint the walls and cabinets some color that went with it. Glossy white for the cabinets and maybe a soft dove gray if you are gonna do gray. Much lighter than the tiles, though, a very light dove gray. But, that's just me, it's your house so do what makes you happy.

Old 09-02-2014, 06:10 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,354,335 times
If this were my home, I would probably remove it. If this was going to be where I intended to stay for a long time, I would make it what I like and what works for me. Personally, I don't care for the tile so I'd just take it down. Hopes is right---the cabinet is out of place/does not go with the tile.

I would not keep something I did not like if I'm staying somewhere long-term---as long as I had money to change it, I would.

Old 09-02-2014, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
If this were my home, I would probably remove it. If this was going to be where I intended to stay for a long time, I would make it what I like and what works for me. Personally, I don't care for the tile so I'd just take it down. Hopes is right---the cabinet is out of place/does not go with the tile.

I would not keep something I did not like if I'm staying somewhere long-term---as long as I had money to change it, I would.
Yeah, we really would prefer it gone. But since we're probably in this house for the mid-term, we're thinking about future resale value as well as our own preferences. I guess another way of looking at it is, would replacing these tiles (along with at least changing cabinet faces) with something more modern help or hurt the home value?

Old 09-02-2014, 03:11 PM

41,956 posts, read 75,167,069 times
Wow, is that nice-looking. I'd keep it as is and change the cabinets to match them.

But I understand you don't like the tile. Look into painting it, as already suggested. There are specific paints and techniques to doing so.

Old 09-02-2014, 03:17 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,605,780 times
I agree: keep the tile (clean and fix it as needed), different paint on the walls, new cabinet. Embrace the retro!

I assisted removing tile like that, only pink and maroon. It was a nightmare. Honestly, the tile is basically sound and not that awful pink. You can make it work.

Old 09-02-2014, 03:27 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,842,185 times
Plaster walls make everything harder, even hanging a simple picture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating