Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 12:20 PM

6 posts, read 42,316 times

Advertisements

Hi! looking for ideas on how to correct the mistake I made during my design center appt. I DID NOT PUT MUCH THOUGHT TO LIGHT FIXTURES. We are now in the finishing stages of home building and terribly disappointed when I walked in and saw this generic light fixture in the family room. During my design appt 6 months ago, my only concern was picking things that are more structural in nature, things that my husband and I cannot afford to do ourselves and items behind the wall. In my head, light fixtures are decorating touches and I need not go with the builders upgrades if they do not 100% attract me whatsoever. I figured, maybe we can live with them for a year, giving me time to look for inspiration and simply shop around for statement fixtures. I am hating myself right now for that poor decision. I don't think I can live with that eyesore, I'd like to put something up just after we move in. Ceiling fans do not appeal to me. I am gearing towards a semi-flush or smaller chandelier of some sort. The kitchen island pendant (2) is also something I want to change. The ceiling height is 10ft. The kitchen / breakfast area (13x20) is looking out to the family room. Family room size is 18 x 20. If it helps the light collection is: progress lights - Gather. I am open to suggestions, quick fix for now so nothing crazy expensive -- something that could hold us off for the next 2-3 years, but still nice enough for when we hold parties. Open to ideas, suggestion and advise. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Help!! Ceiling light is an eyesore!-20140916_192048.jpg   Help!! Ceiling light is an eyesore!-20140911_182550.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 12:42 PM

1,680 posts, read 2,557,556 times
Try googling "Shades of Light". They have some interesting semi flush mount light fixtures that I did not see on any of the other on line lighting web sites. You may find something there that appeals to you. Shades of Light has price points to fit various budgets.

Mary2014

Old 09-18-2014, 12:56 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,988,331 times
I don't think you need to freak out. Changing out a light fixture is not a big deal and is definitely something that can wait. If it were me, I'd leave it as is until I found something I really loved... I know how it feels to want everything to be right "right now" but I've done that enough to know that a hasty decision is usually a bad idea.

FWIW, in my family room we have a flush mount fixture in our coffered ceiling. It's larger than what you have pictured and is a little more high end, but nothing crazy. I'd like to change it out for something better someday, but I haven't found anything that blows my mind yet, so I just keep looking.

If you want to shop for lights there are so many websites... I purchased a cool chandelier from wegotlites.com in the past. I've also gotten lights from Wayfair.com. The best deals I got on lights were clearance floor models at a local lighting store though.

Old 09-18-2014, 02:13 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
I don't think you need to freak out. Changing out a light fixture is not a big deal and is definitely something that can wait. If it were me, I'd leave it as is until I found something I really loved... I know how it feels to want everything to be right "right now" but I've done that enough to know that a hasty decision is usually a bad idea.

I agree with this. I think it's throwing away money to buy something that you aren't going to keep. Find something you love and get that when you find it.

Old 09-18-2014, 03:11 PM

22,587 posts, read 47,649,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie_LA View Post
I am open to suggestions, quick fix for now so nothing crazy expensive -- something that could hold us off for the next 2-3 years
Stick with what you have for 2 years.
Seriously.
No sense throwing good money after bad if you will keep it for that short a time.

Old 09-18-2014, 05:17 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
I figured, maybe we can live with them for a year, giving me time to look for inspiration and simply shop around for statement fixtures. I am hating myself right now for that poor decision.
You answered your own question. Live with the room until you find something you really like and that fits with how you use the room.

I hardly think your guests will judge you for a light fixture.

Old 09-18-2014, 10:30 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
Yep; definitely take your time. You'll know it when you find it- it doesn't have to be tomorrow!

Almost every plan that I built that had a coffered ceiling- whether it be the great room or the family room most buyers went with a chandelier; the others were down-rodded fans w/light kits.

Flush or semi-flush are not appropriate- but since you have it don't worry about it- at least you have light until the "right luminaire" comes along!

Old 09-19-2014, 11:16 AM

17,709 posts, read 29,812,481 times
Default Simple solution

Put some Afremov prints in the room and no one will notice the light.

Old 09-19-2014, 02:14 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,988,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Put some Afremov prints in the room and no one will notice the light.
You know, those may not be your taste but there's no reason to be rude about it. Seriously...

Old 09-19-2014, 07:25 PM

6,192 posts, read 7,355,014 times
Quote:
Hi! looking for ideas on how to correct the mistake I made during my design center appt. I DID NOT PUT MUCH THOUGHT TO LIGHT FIXTURES. We are now in the finishing stages of home building and terribly disappointed when I walked in and saw this generic light fixture in the family room. During my design appt 6 months ago, my only concern was picking things that are more structural in nature, things that my husband and I cannot afford to do ourselves and items behind the wall. In my head, light fixtures are decorating touches and I need not go with the builders upgrades if they do not 100% attract me whatsoever. I figured, maybe we can live with them for a year, giving me time to look for inspiration and simply shop around for statement fixtures. I am hating myself right now for that poor decision. I don't think I can live with that eyesore, I'd like to put something up just after we move in. Ceiling fans do not appeal to me. I am gearing towards a semi-flush or smaller chandelier of some sort. The kitchen island pendant (2) is also something I want to change. The ceiling height is 10ft. The kitchen / breakfast area (13x20) is looking out to the family room. Family room size is 18 x 20. If it helps the light collection is: progress lights - Gather. I am open to suggestions, quick fix for now so nothing crazy expensive -- something that could hold us off for the next 2-3 years, but still nice enough for when we hold parties. Open to ideas, suggestion and advise. Thanks!

Listen, I moved into my apartment thinking the kitchen and bathroom were getting taken out right away. I had all of these grand plans. And now I'm here, nearly two years later, finally about to do the bathroom. It takes time to figure out what you want, what you don't want, what actually works for you, etc.

I had horrible lighting fixtures when I moved into this place. Absolutely hated them and they were much uglier/awkward than yours. ;-) If I have learned anything from rushing to buy things it's DON'T when you don't have to. It took me a long time to find a ceiling fan that I thought was aesthetically pleasing to my eye (because I find most of them hideous) and I did a lot of looking until I finally found one that I liked. I still have one more light to change out. Haha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating