U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 08:28 PM

258 posts, read 587,750 times

Advertisements

We have a simple layout in our main level. Entry door leads to two story foyer and to a small living room on right, dining room on left. Go straight past the two and we have our family room which is open to the kitchen on one side and a den on the other side with French doors. So the kitchen, family room and den are all lined up, if you will. Cooking in the kitchen, I can see the den past the family room and French doors straight ahead. Here's the issue, we have very little natural light in our kitchen, family room because of direction, trees etc. we are looking at various options to work on this but one of the ideas is to create a opening, 6ft by 4ft , i think, between the dining room and family room. The foyer gets plenty of sunlight thoughout the day and the idea is to let this also filter into the family room and to a lesser extent , to the kitchen. But we are not sure if this is a good idea. If we did this, the living is the only one that is not open on the main level. Every other room is on a 'open floor plan'. Anybody at the front door, can get a peek right into the family room thru the opening, thus we are giving up privacy. Not, sure with the new opening, will the family room look smaller? Also, when we sell, hopefully not for a long time now, will this renovation act against us? Do people in general, prefer this degree of openness? Sorry for the long post but on the horns of a dilemma and seeking some ideas, opinions? thanks..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2014, 09:07 PM

20,419 posts, read 39,185,898 times
Bottom line short answer....
do what you want; it's your house.

Old 08-27-2014, 09:15 PM

3,408 posts, read 4,732,871 times
If you need the light then others will probably need the light as well. Open floor plans are very much in favor now. Not sure when or if they will go out of favor.

Old 08-28-2014, 06:16 AM

21,992 posts, read 13,064,337 times
I think it sounds nice. And from what you are describing, it's just going to be an opening, you are not taking down a wall. If you or a future owner decides they want the full wall back, it's just some studs and drywall, not a major remodel.

Old 08-28-2014, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I think it sounds nice. And from what you are describing, it's just going to be an opening, you are not taking down a wall. If you or a future owner decides they want the full wall back, it's just some studs and drywall, not a major remodel.
That is true.. That did not occur to us - that future owners can close it off if they want to. That is nice. Even so, we feel a little apprehensive doing this kind of change. May I ask why you think 'it sounds nice'? Just curious. A couple of things that are working in our minds - with a opening in the wall, the family room will look smaller with 'less wall'. Secondly, it does feel strange , visualizing ourselves sitting in the couch in the family and our heads visible from the front door😊. Crazy thought, perhaps.

Btw, we got a quote of 2700$ for a 72 inches by 60 inches opening ( 6 ft by 5 ft) for parts and labour. Is that reasonable, does anyone know? Thanks.

Old 08-28-2014, 02:24 PM

323 posts, read 647,709 times
I would do it, but then I prefer an open floor plan. In general, I think removing a wall (or portion of) is going to make things look bigger, not smaller.

I don't know where you are located, and I'm sure that makes a difference, but your quote sounds high. I just had 13ft of load bearing wall removed and a 3-span LVL header and supports put in its place. I paid $2,800 for that. Is your wall load bearing?

Old 08-28-2014, 02:28 PM

16,719 posts, read 15,560,815 times
What about skylights or Solatubes?

Old 08-28-2014, 02:55 PM

21,992 posts, read 13,064,337 times
I think it sounds nice because I like very open floor plans. In my new build, other than a small front entryway, with the coat closet and powder room, my entire main floor will be open - one big room with a living area, dining area and kitchen. So to me, opening up walls between rooms is a good thing, and makes the space feel larger, more open and integrated. And I think it's always great to increase natural light when you can.

As for visibility, that doesn't bother me, my whole first floor will be visible as you walk in the front door. Lots of people have front doors that open into a living room. I don't really see a concern with that, myself.

$2700 seems high to me, but since I don't know your location, it may be reasonable where you are.

Old 08-28-2014, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyWhnChasd View Post
I would do it, but then I prefer an open floor plan. In general, I think removing a wall (or portion of) is going to make things look bigger, not smaller.

I don't know where you are located, and I'm sure that makes a difference, but your quote sounds high. I just had 13ft of load bearing wall removed and a 3-span LVL header and supports put in its place. I paid $2,800 for that. Is your wall load bearing?
I am not sure if it is load bearing. are there any cost implications one way or the other? If you paid 2800$ for the job, what do you think our job should amount to? Of course, other factors like the state/region matter but just to get an idea of what a reasonable estimate would be..thank you

Old 08-28-2014, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
What about skylights or Solatubes?
We have bedrooms above the kitchen and family rooms and hence can't go the skylights or solitudes way..when I first heard of solatubes, I was excited but then realized it won't work for us.😞
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or