Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 10:33 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,334,553 times

Advertisements

Oh my gosh! I just read the whole thread. What an amazing task and beautiful job!

Love, Love, LOVE it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2016, 01:01 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,011,610 times
Here's some more barkcloth, Kayekaye: Singer Discount Fabric They have a lot more bark cloth fabrics, but for some reason only one is on their website. It's clothing weight, and not upholstery weight so it'd make a lovely mu'umu'u. Do you get to Hilo much? They've got about a half acre of aloha prints and a couple racks of bark cloth prints plus more bark cloth over in the upholstery area.

Maybe I'll work on those curtains after finishing the swimsuit cover up that I'm currently working on. There's an upcoming Caribbean cruise next month (another companion fare on Alaskan Airlines - folks keep taking me to all sorts of places this year with those coupons) which needs a proper 'beach cover up' to get between the pool and the cabin. For some reason, folks seem to think a bit of netting or skinny wrap is a 'beach cover up'. Ick. That's the trouble with knowing what you want, most times the manufacturers haven't got the memo.

Those are interesting little chrome rings, JanND. Reminiscent of the 'cafe' curtains from the fifties. I think we have some black ones kicking around somewhere as well as some curtain rods. I've not gotten the details figured out yet, just kinda thinking a band of yellow up near the ceiling might help bring out the yellow counter top.

I think I'll also cover over the open cabinet faces with a curtain instead of the more labor intensive building of doors. Although one shelf doesn't even have a bottom for the top part, so just a facing could be put there. Or, put a floor in for the shelf and then it could be used for storage instead of really tall storage in the cabinet below.

It's just kinda an ongoing project, Robino1. Sometimes we work on it, other times we go to the beach. This newest progress was unintentional, it was just supposed to be a temporary project that mutated into a final one. Since we're living in it while working on it, the job changes as we're going along, too. It gives a more dynamic kitchen remodel (restoration?) than if it were all planned out from the beginning. I think the most game changing event in this was when we bought the too big refrigerator and had to shift the refrigerator/stove locations. It turned into a much nicer kitchen because of it, too. Guess we will see what happens next, it's that kinda project.

I think a pair of those chrome rimmed bar stools would fit nicely at the new breakfast bar, but the rattan one works, too. I think two of whichever ones we end up with would be good, though. Well, depends on what shows up, it's not like we're gonna go out and pay retail for anything if we can help it.

We seem to be drifting from the '50s look and going more tropical lately. I think we will have 'pineapple' for a kitchen theme if we do get an official theme. The colors are pretty much pineapple colors, although I think I should have taken in a pineapple leaf to color match for the cabinets.

Last edited by hotzcatz; 07-24-2016 at 01:10 PM..

Old 07-30-2016, 12:46 AM

I've lost my curtain fabric! Ack! How something that ferociously yellow can hide, I haven't a clue but I can't find it anywhere. Sigh! Just when I got motivated to make curtains, too!

So, I dropped past the quilt shop to get some more of it and they'd sold all they had and weren't getting anymore. That frequently happens on islands. Although in this case getting twice as much at the beginning wouldn't have kept me from running out since I lost the stuff, not used it up. Well, it will eventually resurface, I suppose.

I've also lost all my patterns. I put them into one of those big plastic tubs and now I can't find the tub anywhere! I looked in the sewing room, under the house, in the hobbit hole, in the warehouse and it's not in the Quonset hut, either. So, I can't make the curtains because I lost the fabric and can't sew other things since I've lost my patterns. Guess it's just not sewing season or something.

Maybe I'll install those hanging lights instead. Or some ceiling?

Old 07-30-2016, 12:57 AM

24,091 posts, read 32,431,870 times
I love it! Kudos to you for keeping your mid century modern Kitchen intact!

Old 07-30-2016, 08:25 AM

4,096 posts, read 6,211,599 times
Oh no, fabric gone! LOL I have done that moving. Well luckily you have great resources and you know how to dye fabric from your yarn work if worse comes to worse. I like the pineapple theme. Pineapple kitsch objects are fun too, if you go that way. I have a pineapple cookie jar, platter and salt and pepper shakers.

Old 07-31-2016, 07:12 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,199,897 times
hotzcatz I would look for tropical prints with your 50's yellow....might even be some pineapples in those prints.
I think you'll find your fabric. As you open each tub, write the major contents on the outside with magic marker. I have used those for storage for years, and that helps me.
I'll keep an eye out for web sites for your fabrics. Keep up the good work. Your lovely sunny authentic kitchen is taking shape!
https://www.onlinefabricstore.net/hs...word=barkcloth
6 places to buy barkcloth - Retro Renovation

Old 07-31-2016, 09:47 PM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,512 posts, read 6,322,561 times
Everything is coming along great. Love your newest additions. Hope you find your fabric. I hate it when I lose stuff like that.

I saw this fabric and it made me think of your kitchen. Probably a little tooooo fifties for you though.

Michael Miller Fifties Kitchen Cotton Cream

Old 08-01-2016, 03:36 AM

That's some cute fabric, Cecila_Rose, although I think I'd use it for place mats or hand towels instead of curtains.

The kitchen is going more towards tropical in pineapple colors than retro fifties. Although since we're not changing the basics of the kitchen - no new cabinets or major layout changes, etc., - I suppose it stays fifties just by default. I'd hoped to find bar stools in a retro-astro or chrome trimmed fifties look, but the rattan one appeared, so it's another vote for tropical, I guess. I'm just kinda letting the kitchen emerge on it's own and see where it ends up.

Maybe if I clean my sewing room the curtain fabric will show up somewhere.

Old 08-01-2016, 10:38 AM

15,140 posts, read 27,756,930 times
I might have missed it in all the pages, but are you planning to keep the refrigerator there?

Old 08-01-2016, 10:19 PM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,512 posts, read 6,322,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
That's some cute fabric, Cecila_Rose, although I think I'd use it for place mats or hand towels instead of curtains.

The kitchen is going more towards tropical in pineapple colors than retro fifties. Although since we're not changing the basics of the kitchen - no new cabinets or major layout changes, etc., - I suppose it stays fifties just by default. I'd hoped to find bar stools in a retro-astro or chrome trimmed fifties look, but the rattan one appeared, so it's another vote for tropical, I guess. I'm just kinda letting the kitchen emerge on it's own and see where it ends up.

Maybe if I clean my sewing room the curtain fabric will show up somewhere.
I figured that fabric would be a little too retro but it was so darn cute.
It does have pineapples you know.
I could see it as placemats or towels. Doesn't look very tropical though.

I think I like your rattan stool better with your tropical and pineapples.
IMO the chrome one is more retro fifties. If that makes sense.
Maybe recover the seat or paint the fabric in one of your brighter accent colors.

Your fabric will probably turn up after you make curtains out of something else.
That's usually what happens around here.
Maybe your house is hiding that fabric cause it wants pineapple curtains? You never know.

My house has evolved like that too. Sometimes what I think I want isn't what I want after I see it.
I'm so glad to see your letting your house keep some of its charm. IMO each old house has its own personality. I hate to see an old house that's been remudled.

Just a thought. If you have lots of fabric scraps maybe you could do a pineapple applique on a plain curtain. Or stencil them on with paint.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...ncil&FORM=IGRE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating