U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2015, 12:49 PM

21,981 posts, read 12,999,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
I'm pretty sure the ceilings will be 1/4" plywood painted white. There will be trim around the edges, that 1/2" wide by 3/16" thick stuff most likely. Which then visually puts 4' x 8' panels trimmed out to that size on the ceiling. Less than beautiful, I think. Minimum would be trim in 4' x 4' squares, I'm thinking, maybe trim in 16" squares and perhaps some sort of pattern instead of squares. But there will need to be some sort of trim at the 4' and 8' edges. But, overall, some sort of flat white ceilings.

I wonder how a white kitchen with bright red cabinets and pineapple countertops would look? Probably not a good idea.

Oh, ok. I wasn't sure if you were going to cover that up or not. I was thinking that you might keep the exposed beams showing and paint those white against the tin roof.

Sort of this idea, but against the tin ceiling

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/157133474468230110/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2015, 12:52 PM

3,400 posts, read 4,718,190 times
The shelfs on the sides of the bump out of the fridge would be really nice. Good storage for your craft room and not so deep that things would get lost or double stacked.

Old 02-02-2015, 12:54 PM

emm74 beautiful ceiling! but I don't think the single wall build could hold that kind of weight, correct me if I'm wrong Hotzcatz. That seems to be a different build.

Hotzcatz is the tin ceiling noisy during rains? or do you get used to it? or do you put an insulation in there?

Old 02-02-2015, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
emm74 beautiful ceiling! but I don't think the single wall build could hold that kind of weight, correct me if I'm wrong Hotzcatz. That seems to be a different build.

Hotzcatz is the tin ceiling noisy during rains? or do you get used to it? or do you put an insulation in there?
I wasn't saying to change the structure, that photo was just for the visual of white exposed beams against a darker ceiling. Keeping the current ceiling the way it is in Hotzcatz's photos right now, but paint the beams white, rather than putting up the plywood panels.

Old 02-02-2015, 02:50 PM

Ok, that would be pretty. Might get a bit noisy.

Old 02-04-2015, 12:11 AM

10,277 posts, read 19,716,280 times
Yup, with no ceiling it is noisy! Very noisy! A heavy rain and you can't hear anyone talking. Birds like to walk on the roof, too. My friend down the hill said a turkey landed on her roof once. That would be really noisy.

The whole roof consists of 2" x 4" rafters at 4' on center with 2" x 4" or 2" x 3" purlins at 2' on center on top of the rafters. Aluminum "tin" roof was nailed to that. That's it, no insulation, no closure strips, nothing. There is the frame work below made of 2x4s and 2x2s that the ceiling is nailed to.

Originally, it probably had "canec" ceilings. Which was cane bagass mixed with arsenic, squished flat and dried in big sheets. It was a very common ceiling material between about 1930 and 1980 around here. However, at some point that was removed and 1/4" ply was installed. The termites chowed that and we were considering using styrofoam insulation sheets instead of more 1/4" ply, but I think we will just go back to the 1/4" ply.

We will possibly put some insulation on top of the plywood ceiling, or put some light flooring of some sort in the attic and store sheep's fleeces up there. That makes for a good light insulation and gives me a place to store them. That will make the sound of the rain much less as well as birds walking on the roof.

The roof rafters have been chewed by termites in some areas and we are either replacing or "sistering" them as seems best as we are going along. In any case, the end result isn't exactly all that appealing as far as visual eye candy sort of stuff goes, so it will be much better with a ceiling of some sort up there. Flat and white, but since we are using panels of some sort, there will be something on the edges to make it really flat. Hmm, maybe I could sand a bevel on the edges and put a "V" groove across the middle so they'd look like big 4' sheets when they were nailed to the ceiling? Or cut them into 4' squares, bevel the edges and install. That sounds like tons of work, though, probably best to staple them up there and then add trim. Trim at either 2' squares or perhaps even 16" squares.

The living room is pretty close to 18' x 14' so what sort of pattern on the ceiling would look good in that size and still have trim at 4' on center to cover the edges of the panels?

Old 02-04-2015, 01:08 AM

Did you see the 2 x 2 square trim on the paneling ceiling I posted on the previous page? That would look good in any room. You don't have to cut the plywood at all just put the sheet up and then stick the moldings on top of it. I think they even come in a plastic that is easy to work with.

I hope insulation works to quiet down the rain. That would be hard to deal with.

Old 02-04-2015, 01:13 AM

Here is a link about the molding. You could make up your pattern and size to fit your room.
Crown Molding: Wood vs Foam Molding | DoItYourself.com

Old 02-23-2015, 03:20 AM

10,277 posts, read 19,716,280 times
That's a pretty ceiling. Just put the first ceiling panel up today, but didn't take any pictures of it yet. The nail gun just shoots the brads through the panels since they are just 1/8" ply so it had to be hand nailed. That took awhile. I'll go ask Ikeuchi's (our local hardware store) if they have any panel nails that would fit in a small nail gun.

However, progress has been made. Here's the back bedroom wall which had a hole cut in it for the refrigerator bump out. To make it easier to see the progression, I'll post pictures that have already been seen, but having them in one spot should be good. Here's the initial hole cut out:

Then the cut out portion of the wall was reinstalled but set back by about ten inches.

Shelves were built between the bump out and the wall so it wouldn't seem like such a bump.

And, as of today, it's been trimmed and painted.

That is a big spinning wheel in front of the wall bump out, so it helps make the bump seem smaller. It's a Canadian Production Wheel and spins fine yarns fast. It needs it's restoration finished, but this house project showed up instead. It will get finished eventually. I don't think it's going to stay there, though, since I can't see out the more interesting windows while spinning if the wheel is in that location. The shelves will probably be used to store fiber and finished yarns. But, anyway, back to the house restoration.

The one ceiling panel has been nailed up above the bump out, but I didn't put that in the picture since it made the shelves look unfinished.

Old 02-23-2015, 09:09 AM

Looks great, I love that paint color and it looks really pretty with the floor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or