U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2015, 11:48 AM

2,885 posts, read 3,610,500 times

Advertisements

Great ideal , looks great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 12:14 PM

10,284 posts, read 19,722,248 times
Once a couple of sheets of plywood are on the ceiling, I'll be able to take some pictures and ask what should be done with the edges. I'll have to go see what sorts of trim are available on island. Getting anything custom ordered in would be too expensive and our two local hardware stores didn't have a very large selection last time I looked.

The room is still pretty rough even with the painted walls and new shelves. The window sills have been chewed up by termites so those will have to be dealt with at some point. We still haven't moved in to the house, though, so those sorts of repairs can be done once we are living there. I'm hoping to get the large portions such as wall painting and most of the ceilings installed before moving in. Much easier living in a restoration/renovation if the work areas are smaller.

I haven't washed one of the windows yet as you can see in the picture. I think a nice wide window sill would be nice, although the two windows almost meet in the corner of the room. I could make a wrap around window sill, I suppose? Would that be odd? Guess I should go take a picture of that, too, huh? There are three places in the house where there could be wrap around windowsills. The back bedroom (the one in the picture with the spinning wheels), the front bedroom and the living room all have windows in the corners where two walls meet.

I should also pull apart the window trim and replace the sash cords with either braided nylon or maybe stainless steel cable. Something really durable anyway.

The middle pink bedroom isn't staying pink anymore. It was too drab of a pink and got depressing somehow.

The white is primer, the tan may be the color of this room, although I'd actually gotten that color for the hallway. There's still termite damage to repair and I'm using the middle bedroom as a painting room for the ceiling panels, which is why the big white board there.

Well, off to go do some house restoration, can't get much done to take new pictures of while hanging out all day at City Data.

Old 02-23-2015, 05:20 PM

14,183 posts, read 15,239,256 times
it's looking great!

Old 02-23-2015, 10:04 PM

3,403 posts, read 4,719,617 times
That bump out for the fridge and the shelves turned out very nice. Nice to see paint too, energizing.

Do you have sheep to spin wool from or what? Fun!

Old 02-24-2015, 02:15 AM

Sheep would be fun, but my back yard isn't big enough so I have "micro-sheep" which are also known as angora rabbits. The bunnies have their own webpage which I should update more often: https://sites.google.com/site/hillsidefarmhawaii/

After we get the house restored and moved over there, I'll have to redo all the bunny hutches, too. The hutches here are too heavy to move and I think a better design is in order as well. There's only about twenty bunnies here at the moment, I'll probably make room for a few more, but they take a bit of maintenance so more than two dozen or so is pretty time consuming to keep up. They get two to three hair cuts a year and each bunny provides about a pound of fiber per year which then gets spun into yarn. I have hand spun yarns made with the spinning wheels as well as commercially spun "Hula Bunny" yarn. Hula Bunny is 40% English angora bunny fiber from the bunnies here in the back yard for insane softness, 40% fine Merino sheep's wool for "bounce" and 20% Tussah silk for shine and strength. Spun to fingering weight and comes in "Moonlit Dance" (silvery gray), "Lava Rocks" (dark gray), "Beach Bunny" (sandy colored) and if enough of the white bunnies would provide fiber we could finally get some white "Coconut Smoothie" color.

That is the commercially spun "Moonlit Dance" color of Hula Bunny yarn although this batch doesn't have it's label on it yet.

The top skein of yarn is "Beach Bunny" commercial spun yarn, the ones below it are hand spun yarns. They are pure English angora in natural bunny colors as well as some white which was dyed with fresh indigo which grows as a roadside weed around here. The handspun yarns are created entirely from backyard and neighborhood stuff.

Before the hair cut. Yarn on the hoof, so to speak - some assembly required.

She's not really laughing, that's a bunny yawn. She does look funny enough as a hairless bunny to be laughing though. I have no idea how dog groomers get their clients so pretty afterwards although I suppose they don't care about what the cut off fiber looks like.

Commercial Hula Bunny yarn knit into a shawl. This is the "feather and fan" edging, although technically, the pattern might be "old shale". I just make up the pattern as I go along and then sell the shawl and have to start another.

There might be room in the new back yard to build a small fiber mill to spin bunny fluff, alpaca and sheep's wool into yarns. I don't have sheep or alpaca, but some of my friends do. There isn't a fiber mill in the whole state and nowadays fiber mills can be pretty small so a very small mill might fit in the back yard. If the bunny fluff could be spun into yarn faster, I'd have more time to take care of bunnies instead.

So, after getting the house finished there will still be a few projects to work on.

Last edited by hotzcatz; 02-24-2015 at 02:43 AM..

Old 02-24-2015, 02:22 AM

2,687 posts, read 1,908,700 times
If you went full retro with the kitchen (obviously keep the modern big appliances, lol) I'd love it.

Old 02-24-2015, 12:29 PM

Yeah, the big modern appliances will probably have to stay. It seems every time I try to keep things the way they are or go back to vintage with appliances it doesn't work out. The old '52 Caloric stove wasn't able to be revived so we put in a newer one. Not sure what brand the new one is, a basic white boxy thing.

Here's the old stove:

I may take the back section of the old stove - the part with the clock, timer, Caloric nameplate and light - and mount it behind the new stove so it still has an old stove look to it. So far I've saved the old stove, it's sitting out in the carport, but do I want to spend a couple of weeks restoring it? Can it be restored? It weighs over 200 pounds I'd guess and the new stove weighs about 75 or 80. Kinda amazing the weight difference. If it were restored, it would probably be good for another 60 years. Don't know if you can say that about modern appliances. Although I don't know of anyplace on island that can re-chrome metal or fix enameled metal. The touch up kits for appliance paint just aren't as good as a whole new coat. Maybe we will find an old stove that can be repaired at some point or a baby Wolf or Viking stove that would fit in the area.

Refrigerators pretty much have to be modern to work well, I think. Work efficiently, anyway which is important around here. They have those ones which are made to look old, but they don't do a good job of it and the one I saw looked very cheesy. Although, I've only seen one and it was years ago, but it didn't look right. Kinda like someone sticking a couple of tail fins on a Hyundai and calling it a replacement '55 Chevy or '58 Cadillac.

Other than the color which is still eluding me as to the proper color it should be - I'm considering changing out the valance above the kitchen sink.

Here's the picture of it when we did the walk through with the Realtor:

For some reason and it seems typical of the time period since I've seen it in some other kitchen pictures of that time period, they boxed in the area above the kitchen cabinets and continued it across the sink area. No access to that boxed in area and it just encourages vermin the way I see it. I may fill in the area under the lower sink cabinets with that spray in foam stuff just to keep bugs and mice out. But in any case, the boxed in area above the sink serves no useful purpose and it cuts across the window trim. Very odd and it was done originally, too, since the upper part of the window trim inside the boxed in area has never been painted.

My DH wants to keep the boxed in area but with cabinet doors on it so it can be used for storage. Really hard to get to storage. So, that will work for above the cabinets, but above the sink perhaps not. How much storage do we need? I'm sure we can fill it up, but we already have too much stuff. Adding more storage space just encourages more stuff being stored. Having that large boxed in area really lowers the whole feel of the ceiling, too. The ceilings are only eight feet so it's not like they need to be lower.

So how to uncover the window trim and yet keep it retro? I'm thinking maybe a trim board across there with a restrained amount of scroll work along the edge. Some kitchen trim boards have had tons of scroll work, depending on the time period. Anyway, a decorative trim board, a lowered ceiling area behind the trim board by maybe seven inches or so. Not sure how much room there is between the window trim and the ceiling, I'll have to go measure it. Possibly nine inches, I'd be surprised if there's more than ten. So, anyway, make a very shallow lowered ceiling area behind the trim board and mount two florescent light fixtures up in the ceiling, or possible a pair of can lights. Something that would flood the sink area with light when it was wanted. Over the middle of the sink would be a visible light fixture, probably one from the 40's, something very period looking. A visible period light fixture in the middle of the kitchen, a pair of can lights over the eating bar beside the refrigerator (what used to be beside the stove) and another can light over the dining table area.

DH wants to cut a big window / pass through in the kitchen wall facing the ocean with a set of cabinets almost an eating bar on the kitchen side and a ledge on the living room side. We've gotten some see through cabinets for above the pass through. Not sure if that's a 40's thing or not, but it's what DH wants. There will be some sort of lights from the bottom of the see through cabinets, not sure what sort of lights yet.

Old 02-24-2015, 08:54 PM

What fun, are they free-range happy bunnies? You've certainly got your hands full! Beautiful shawls.

Old 02-24-2015, 10:36 PM

They aren't really free range, they are more like condo dwellers. Free range bunnies get their fur dirty and angoras are hard enough to keep clean and tangle free without adding dirt and leaves to the mix. The girl bunnies live in groups and the boy bunnies get their own spaces. When we move to the new house I'll be building new housing for them and I'm not quite sure yet what that will look like. Something interesting for the bunnies to live in yet easy to clean. It will be close to the back kitchen door. Hmm, wonder if there's any 40's theme that can go with bunny hutches? Although I'm still contemplating the layout and not just the decor. It might be fun to have matching 40's style bunny hutches and the small chicken coop. Kinda start the retro look before even getting in the door.

Old 02-26-2015, 09:33 AM

Condo bunnies! Cute. How about a cat run cage that lets them get "out"? Sounds like a lot of work.
How's the priming going on the house? Can't wait to see it all brightened up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or