U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2015, 02:23 PM

10,279 posts, read 19,719,595 times

Advertisements

The back bedroom is done enough to move into although it's gonna be a pain putting up the ceiling with stuff in the way but that can be worked around. The middle bedroom is getting a slash and burn prime coat at the moment:

I'd tried just the tan color over the pink and it was gonna need a second coat for certain so I switched to a white prime coat. That's a contractor grade of basic white primer so it's less expensive than using the tan paint as a primer. Still need to do a bit of termite repairs in places before going much further. I'd also had the ladder busy holding up the ceiling plate that was being painted, so I didn't get real high on the wall. I was also too tired to do the lower end, too, bending over just wasn't high on the wanna do list so I just did the easy middle part. I'll go back and work on it some more after Saturday's big knitting tour event. After the knit tour comes to have afternoon tea with the bunnies, we will start moving out of this house over to the restoration project even though it's not really ready yet. We can't afford two mortgages and the house restoration won't be rental quality for quite some time so we will live in it and restore it while renting out the house we are currently living in which is nicer and ready to rent. Oh wellos! I'd hoped to not live in a renovation zone again, but guess it's gonna happen.

I'm hoping to get the bedroom and living room walls painted before shifting much furniture over there since it would all have to be moved away from the walls to paint, although I suppose I could just do one wall at a time and just deal with it. Sigh. It's so much easier not living in a project zone. The kitchen won't have furniture up against the walls, so that will get the primer done after the bedrooms and living room paint, most likely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 11:15 AM

5 posts, read 6,104 times
If you can fully restore the kitchen, the result would look something like this, which is actually quite stunning:

news.distractify.com/pinar/perfectly-preserved-1950s-kitchen/

Old 02-27-2015, 05:34 PM

15,678 posts, read 14,148,041 times
I can't wait for the current cold and sterile decorating trends to bite the dust.

So tired of the black/gray/white/chrome stark institutional look.

Old 03-01-2015, 11:05 PM

3,403 posts, read 4,719,617 times
Good idea to use a primer before the color. Moving so quick, that will be a lot of work, hope it goes well.

Old 03-03-2015, 03:30 PM

2,965 posts, read 2,457,944 times
I ended up really regretting ripping out the original cabinets and backsplash tile in my former 50s house. I've been out of it for 10 years and it still bugs me. I miss the terrazzo. in my present house the terrazzo was covered by (very lovely) tile.

Maybe do the minimum now and see how you feel over time. That would be my advice to my former self anyway.
Yes there are some great vintage-style appliances out there.

Old 03-03-2015, 07:22 PM

12,554 posts, read 7,616,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I can't wait for the current cold and sterile decorating trends to bite the dust.

Sometimes I see current stuff and think the same - it makes it really hard for me to decide if I want to tear out 60s cabinets and put something modern in. It's not like the kitchen is anything special, but it feels like I'm hurting the home's feelings and going against its character...sorta like a guy telling a nice girl that he'll dump her if she doesn't get a boob job and start dressing like a tramp. Some of these retro kitchens look very "homey", modest, happy and cheery - I like that. So yeah...I say bring back some funky colors.

Old 05-11-2015, 01:26 PM

Hey, howz it going on your remodel? Anything new? Just wondering...

Old 05-12-2015, 04:00 PM

15,688 posts, read 11,409,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post

I totally agree. Color, I want color.

Old 06-24-2015, 12:36 AM

10,279 posts, read 19,719,595 times
Well, I'm taking a break from building bunny hutches and started fixing the kitchen window. It's the old double hung style and some of the sash weights weren't attached anymore. They used cotton line and only one half hitch to hold the weights on. Surprisingly enough, the half hitches held, it was the line breaking that caused the troubles.

So, this is where everything started:

This photo was from when we were doing the initial clean up. The original stove is still there, although it was too much of a project to get it functional so that's been replaced and relocated when we got a refrigerator that was too big to fit behind the door where the original and much smaller refrigerator was. Interestingly enough, the pan in the oven is still in use as a pan to mix Fix-All in, but they'd repaired it with a pop rivet. How expensive were pans back Mid-Century that they'd fix them instead of replace them?

The ceilings have been removed and they aren't replaced yet since there's still a few leaks to fix in the roof and it's easier to fix them with no ceilings. The area above the cabinets had just been an enclosed soffit. Very strange and nothing more than a place for rats and cockaroaches to hang out. It had also been built across the top window frame molding. Who puts stuff across molding? The cabinets over by the kitchen door extend over the door frame. Very strange.

So, the upper soffit area had sort of been a shelf for awhile, but it's hard to reach and it kind of looms overhead and feels uncomfortable. So, as part of replacing the sash weight project, I took that out. Now the kitchen feels a lot larger and the window area looks much bigger.

This is still in the middle of construction, so it's not nice looking yet. The quarter round shelves will be put back up on each side of the window, the ones that had been there were pretty termite eaten so they are being replaced. I found some nifty "chrome" trim for them, too, so they will be trimmed to match the countertops. I think three on each side, maybe just two, not certain yet.

The window ledge has been replaced, it's actually an inch or two wider than it was before. Hard to tell in the photo, though. I've also not finished the sash weights on the right side, they are already replaced on the left side.

So, after finishing the sash weights and installing the shelves, that leaves the ceiling. I was going to put a little bit up over the kitchen sink so I'd be able to do the lights.

What needs to be done above the kitchen sink? I could box in a 4' fluorescent light fixture and have one big light up there. Or, two can lights recessed into the ceiling - one over each side of the sink. Or perhaps the two recessed lights and then one period fixture in the middle? Set up on two switches so it could be an either/or or both situation. Should there be a valance board across the area? One with just a bit of edge detail, nothing too busy. Not an enclosed area behind it, either, just one board across to define the space. If the recessed lights were in that area, that would sort of corral them. I want it to be big and bright, but still sort of fifties looking.

Last edited by hotzcatz; 06-24-2015 at 12:50 AM..

Old 06-24-2015, 09:33 AM

The scalloped edged board between the cupboards over the sink is definitely a 50's look. What about some retro lighting? google over the sink mid century lighting.

Most people don't like fluorescents in the kitchen but I get it since it gets dark so early year round there. I put this one in my kitchen because we get so dark early half the year. Not over the sink, it's too big. Not really retro but wouldn't be awful with it either.

Then add a couple retro looking pendent lights over the windows.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or