U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2015, 10:14 AM

28,453 posts, read 73,439,288 times

Advertisements

I like the updates, fun that you can do things on "island time". I know that folks on the mainland want everything "done yesterday"!

I agree that getting rid of anything that is a home for bugs / vermin is a smart move -- too many of the things that were done on the islands in the 1950s tried to just use "mainland style" construction techniques / materials. People are LOTS smarter about the issues that causes now! Modern material that still have the "retro" look / feel are much better than wasting time with old bug eaten messes.

Keep us informed! Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2015, 06:47 PM

10,294 posts, read 19,736,111 times
Island time is perfect. No need to hurry, it's not like there's gonna be snow on our heads anytime soon. Too much house work and then there's no time to go to the beach so we can't work too much.

The window is pretty much back together although I still have to clean the hardware and put it back on. I'm just scraping all the rust and old paint off, dipping it in Ospho, letting it dry and then painting it silver with some fingernail polish we picked up at a yard sale. If it doesn't last, then I'll do something else later.

The window frame is still just primer, I'm thinking that will be shiny white for a finish coat. I also got tired of looking at the white primer on the walls as well as angsting over what color to paint it, so I just used some left over paint from one of the bedrooms. Benjamin Moore's "Nob Hill Sage" in an eggshell finish. I'd tried it in the back bedroom and the finish was too shiny for there, but the kitchen needs something a bit more washable than flat.

To the left of the sink is a stack of quarter round shelves that were cut out of plywood but they're not installed yet. I'm still waiting for the paint to dry. I've got some aluminum edging to put on them and there will be three of them on either side of the sink. It started out with three but the spacing on them will be different. I may put a metal edge on the front of the window sill, too. I'll see what it looks like after the shelves are installed and then decide if it needs more trim.

I'm contemplating the cabinet colors. Maybe shiny white for the upper cabinets and a much darker shade of the Nob Hill Sage for the lower cabinets? The darker green for uppers and lowers? Some shade of tan or brown?

I think there's a little rug for in front of the sink now. My friend gave me a fleece from her lawnmower sheep and I spun it really thick and then crocheted it into a little rug. It was sort of a very pale beige color which probably would show dirt real well. So I gathered some weeds by the side of the road yesterday and stuck them in a bucket of water.

It was this much weeds. And they sat in the bucket of water since yesterday evening. The weeds are all indigo so not just any weeds will do, but I gathered them by just walking up alongside the road near the house and there was enough to half fill the bucket.

That's the little rug still dripping wet with the occasional indigo leaf stuck on it. If it's blue enough, I'll call it done, otherwise I'll dump it back in the bucket again. With indigo, it's not really a dye so you don't need a mordant or heat or a fixative to get the color to stick. The color oxidizes onto the fibers so it's kinda like blue rust. A bucket of weeds, some water and if you really want to be over the top, you can add two tablespoons of baking soda before you soak the leaves and add a quarter cup of vinegar to the final rinse to level out the pH again. Hmm, wonder if indigo tie dye curtains would go well in the kitchen? White bed sheets are easy enough to get around here, the hotels change out their entire linen closets every few years and then there's sheets everywhere for awhile. If it's called "shibori" then it's a fancy Japanese indigo tie dye. Well, there's still shelves to install and cabinets to fix and paint before worrying about curtains.

Oh, the current thought on the above the kitchen sink area is to put one board across it as they did in the 50's. Not an enclosed space, just one board. With a bit of cut edge trim but nothing extensive. Behind the board will most likely be a 4' florescent light on each side (which will be a huge amount of light over the sink when we want it) Maybe they will each be on a separate switch. Those lights will be behind a translucent plastic sheet and they won't be all that visible. There will be a wooden part in the middle and that will be lowered down to the same level with the translucent sheet so it will all be one level. That's where the '50's light fixture will go. I have one from the house before we pulled the ceilings down so that one can go above the sink. So, we will be able to turn one or both big florescents on for a lot of light or just the old '50's fixture for less light. At a casual glance, though, the '50's fixture will be the only one visible.

Last edited by hotzcatz; 06-26-2015 at 06:56 PM..

Old 06-27-2015, 12:38 PM

14,185 posts, read 15,256,184 times
love, love, love your rug! what a fun project!

Old 06-29-2015, 12:27 AM

Aloha Hothulamaui,

If you need a fleece to make a rug, let me know. My friend's sheep make new fleeces each year and she's got five sheepies so that's a lot of fleeces. They are Clun Forest so it's sorta a springy fleece. Makes real comfy rugs. Oh, I dumped it back in the bucket and made it more blue. Then ran it through the washer so as soon as it's dry it can be a rug again. If I ever get enough time to make more yarn, I'll spin up another fleece to make a larger rug for the kitchen.

So, now the kitchen shelves are up. Yay!

Only two days later to get the shelves up. That's blazing fast for our construction style. They are just plywood quarter circles predrilled for small galvanized nails. They are toenailed to the wall with little nails. It's how the other ones were, although they were 1" thick solid wood. These are half inch ply with some sort of nice veneer on each side. So far I've not painted them but just left the nice veneer showing. The "chrome" (it's actually aluminum, I think) trim is from our local hardware store. They have a lot of old stock laying about, although there was a web address for Hoskin & Muir on the trim label so they can't have been that old.

Not sure what to do next. Either install a ceiling board and work on the light fixture or patch and paint the cabinets. Also need to paint the windowsill and window trim glossy white. It's just painted with primer at the moment. And scrape the over paint off the windows. Also need to replace the screen in the window screens. Also need to make more of those hang from the drawer hand towels, the ones there are pretty sorry looking. They were ones which came with the house, so they were pretty grinchy to start with. Being in a construction zone hasn't helped them any.

What color should the cabinets be? I'm thinking glossy white for the uppers? That would match the window trim and really brighten up the kitchen. Taking out that soffit above the sink has made it feel much bigger and more open. Bright white cabinets could brighten it up, too. I don't think the lower cabinets should be white, though. Perhaps green? A darker green than the walls? Chocolate brown? Tan?

Old 06-29-2015, 10:02 AM

16,053 posts, read 20,651,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Island time is perfect. No need to hurry, it's not like there's gonna be snow on our heads anytime soon. Too much house work and then there's no time to go to the beach so we can't work too much.

The window is pretty much back together although I still have to clean the hardware and put it back on. I'm just scraping all the rust and old paint off, dipping it in Ospho, letting it dry and then painting it silver with some fingernail polish we picked up at a yard sale. If it doesn't last, then I'll do something else later.

The window frame is still just primer, I'm thinking that will be shiny white for a finish coat. I also got tired of looking at the white primer on the walls as well as angsting over what color to paint it, so I just used some left over paint from one of the bedrooms. Benjamin Moore's "Nob Hill Sage" in an eggshell finish. I'd tried it in the back bedroom and the finish was too shiny for there, but the kitchen needs something a bit more washable than flat.

To the left of the sink is a stack of quarter round shelves that were cut out of plywood but they're not installed yet. I'm still waiting for the paint to dry. I've got some aluminum edging to put on them and there will be three of them on either side of the sink. It started out with three but the spacing on them will be different. I may put a metal edge on the front of the window sill, too. I'll see what it looks like after the shelves are installed and then decide if it needs more trim.

I'm contemplating the cabinet colors. Maybe shiny white for the upper cabinets and a much darker shade of the Nob Hill Sage for the lower cabinets? The darker green for uppers and lowers? Some shade of tan or brown?

I think there's a little rug for in front of the sink now. My friend gave me a fleece from her lawnmower sheep and I spun it really thick and then crocheted it into a little rug. It was sort of a very pale beige color which probably would show dirt real well. So I gathered some weeds by the side of the road yesterday and stuck them in a bucket of water.

It was this much weeds. And they sat in the bucket of water since yesterday evening. The weeds are all indigo so not just any weeds will do, but I gathered them by just walking up alongside the road near the house and there was enough to half fill the bucket.

That's the little rug still dripping wet with the occasional indigo leaf stuck on it. If it's blue enough, I'll call it done, otherwise I'll dump it back in the bucket again. With indigo, it's not really a dye so you don't need a mordant or heat or a fixative to get the color to stick. The color oxidizes onto the fibers so it's kinda like blue rust. A bucket of weeds, some water and if you really want to be over the top, you can add two tablespoons of baking soda before you soak the leaves and add a quarter cup of vinegar to the final rinse to level out the pH again. Hmm, wonder if indigo tie dye curtains would go well in the kitchen? White bed sheets are easy enough to get around here, the hotels change out their entire linen closets every few years and then there's sheets everywhere for awhile. If it's called "shibori" then it's a fancy Japanese indigo tie dye. Well, there's still shelves to install and cabinets to fix and paint before worrying about curtains.

Oh, the current thought on the above the kitchen sink area is to put one board across it as they did in the 50's. Not an enclosed space, just one board. With a bit of cut edge trim but nothing extensive. Behind the board will most likely be a 4' florescent light on each side (which will be a huge amount of light over the sink when we want it) Maybe they will each be on a separate switch. Those lights will be behind a translucent plastic sheet and they won't be all that visible. There will be a wooden part in the middle and that will be lowered down to the same level with the translucent sheet so it will all be one level. That's where the '50's light fixture will go. I have one from the house before we pulled the ceilings down so that one can go above the sink. So, we will be able to turn one or both big florescents on for a lot of light or just the old '50's fixture for less light. At a casual glance, though, the '50's fixture will be the only one visible.
I would rather you paint all the cabinets the same....white...then live with your kitchen all clean and white for awhile...it takes some time to get the feel for what colors you want....and you still have too many different colors right now to have clarity. I like that you kept that bright yellow counter top, it looks in great shape, and you'd never find anything that durable on todays market imo. So, do everything white....let the yellow be your color right now....'
No to trimming the window sill in metal...The corner round shelves, trimmed with metal will be good....but adding the trim to the window sill too much.
If it were me....I'd find the material that I loved, like your various selections up thread of Hawaiian prints with your yellow in mind....then choose a secondary color in that print...and make that your accent color

I really like your idea about the wood across the area above the sink...and the lighting with your 50's light fixture the only one visible. I think that is a good plan.
ETA: I hadn't seen your update when I wrote this. Those little shelves look great! I think your idea for upper cabinets white and lower a version of the blue/green on your wall is workable. That soft color on your wall at window is really growing on me, it sort of contrasts and compliments that bright yellow.
If you don't like the lower cabinets in a version of that wall color..., you can always re paint the lower cabinets again later.
Really starting to shape up though....Great job!
Oh, and thanks who ever put this link in earlier...wonderful retro webpage.http://retrorenovation.com/category/...n/countertops/

Last edited by JanND; 06-29-2015 at 10:22 AM..

Old 06-29-2015, 11:29 AM

3,403 posts, read 4,724,762 times
Those shelfs look great and the "chrome" really makes it all work.

The cabinets painted would give you a big visual milestone. I vote for white cabinets too, just my favorite color. Like JanND said above, you can always paint them another color when everything else is done and then you won't be locked into a scheme you might want to change.

Papayas, mangos and lemons ready on the sink, love it! Does that grow in the yard?

Old 06-29-2015, 12:16 PM

21,988 posts, read 13,031,414 times
Love the shelves, they look fab!

As for the cabinets, what color are the counters? I generally prefer the same color upper and lowers, but counter color plays into that.

Old 06-29-2015, 02:48 PM

Emm74, the counter tops are a very bright marbleized mustard yellow laminate with metal edging. It's a bit darker than lemon yellow, but the lighter portions of the marble pattern just about matches exactly the color of French's yellow mustard bottle. The darker parts of the marble pattern are about the same color as half dried mustard. Fortunately, it looks more festive than it sounds. Here's a link to a website that shows a copy of a dinette catalog which shows the yellow countertop color: http://blog.retroplanet.com/1950s-ch...e-color-chart/

I'm pretty sure it was original installation in '51. I thought the house was older, but it looks like it was built in '51 and the picture that has the house shown in it dated 1946 in the post office is wrong. Surprisingly enough, the fellow who built our other house in 1972, Chester Matsumura, also is supposed to have built this one in 1951. He was a cabinet maker for the sugar mill and also built houses as well as taiko drums. This would also explain why the layout of the baths and the kitchen cabinet construction seems similar between the two houses. I'm not sure how much of it is the style or how much of it is the same builder.

I now think that bright yellow laminate counter top is "Yellow Pearl" from Consoweld. I'd thought it was Formica, but hadn't been able to find it shown anywhere under a search for "yellow Formica". Textolite had a yellow that is close, but the small images of the Consoweld Yellow Pearl seem the closest. Not, of course, that I can get any more of it. There are a couple chips in it and some worn spots, but we found some really bright yellow fingernail polish at a yard sale, so I've been doing a few touch ups here and there. Makes the spots less obvious. I'd thought about changing out the countertops, but instead we're keeping them and just working with it instead. A lot less work this way.

JanND & Kayekaye, the upper cabinets in bright white are probably going to happen. Probably in glossy white or at least semi-gloss. Maybe as dull as "satin" for the upper cabinets and glossy white for the window trim and sill? Hmm, all some shade of bright white, anyway. However, white lower cabinets might show dirt too easily and bright white there might make the floor look nasty. The floor is some sort of creamy tan pebbly looking roll vinyl. Which was put over a dark green swirly linoleum and getting that up would be a horrendous mess, not a project I want to do right away. I'm planning on cleaning it and putting edge trim to fix the curling up edges and leaving that alone for a couple of years. When it does get redone, probably it will be vinyl tile.

If the upper cabinets are bright white, I could do the lowers in probably a much darker hue of the same color green as the wall. Or the top line of kitchen drawers could be in white that matches the uppers with the lower cabinets changing color at the lower door area. Hmm, maybe a line of that aluminum trim there? Ha! I'm gonna run out of that trim and haven't a clue how to get more.

That would basically do the kitchen in bright yellow and soft green with bright white contrasts. All metal will be silver or aluminum and not gold tone. I'm thinking of putting some stainless steel sheeting behind the stove, at the moment it's just the wooden wall. I've got a couple rolls of SS sheet as well as enough of the aluminum trim to fasten it on with, I think. Have to put some plastic sheeting or tape or something between the two different metals so they don't corrode each other, though. Hmm, maybe green glass tile, I like glass tile. But I'd have to buy that as well as install the tile whereas the stainless steel we already have and it would be a much easier installation. We find all sorts of things at yard sales and a lot of this restoration/ renovation has been done using whatever is laying to hand.

Yup, Kayekaye, that's all yard food. The lemons are from my friend's yard, her lemons are much bigger than the ones we get from our other house. I'll plant a lemon and lime tree here but we won't be getting much fruit from them for a couple years. There's grapefruit, bananas, macadamia nut and gosh only knows what else somewhere in the back yard, but I've not gone bushwhacking there much yet. No yard work for 27 years will create a jungle. Once we get more caught up with the lack of 27 years worth of house maintenance, then I'll start in on the back yard. DH keeps trying to get someone with heavy equipment back there, but that would make a huge mess, IMHO. After we find out what's there, then maybe we can get some equipment. It's easier to not kill a tree than to plant one. The mangoes are from the neighbor's yard and the little tomatoes on the window sill are from this yard and the papaya are from the yard at our other house.

Old 06-29-2015, 03:01 PM

14,185 posts, read 15,256,184 times
I like the idea of white cabs on top and another color on the bottom. if you paint the bottom cabs white and want to paint them a color later you're still painting twice so for me if I was pretty sure I wanted color, I would go ahead and paint them a color. I could always repaint white and like you said the bottoms white could show too much dirt. how fun to know who built the house. would love to see if you could ever find the taiko drums he made to put them in a corner or make a table out of one.

Old 06-29-2015, 09:39 PM

At the beginning of Obon season, you think I could get ahold of one of his taiko drums! Doubtful! They will be busy for the summer dance season. I'll ask the drummers, though, who made their drums. If they know, and if Chester built them, then I'll take a picture of their drums and hang it in the house. At our other house, there is the small workshop in the carport where he made some of the drums.

I had a portion of the upper cabinets painted in white primer earlier, but then since the wall was also white primer it was too much white so I painted the cabinets with a sandy buff color that we are using for one of the bedrooms. That's not the right color at all, but at least it wasn't white. If I paint the wall the soft green color, then I can repaint the cabinets white again. White on white was way too much white.

Still haven't gotten to the hardware store to see what the darker green looks like, although maybe I can look up Bejamin Moore "Nob Hill Sage" online and see what it would be darker? (The internet is amazing.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or