U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 02:37 AM

10,277 posts, read 19,716,280 times

Advertisements

Gray! What about gray? For the cabinets? Would that be too much gray if they were all that color?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 01:17 PM

14,183 posts, read 15,234,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Gray! What about gray? For the cabinets? Would that be too much gray if they were all that color?

I love the grays, you can always add a pop of color either maybe in a window valance or some accessories.

Old 09-10-2015, 02:51 PM

The exciting thing in this picture is the lack of the cord going between the light fixture and the wall socket. It's still a fluorescent fixture, but now it's properly wired in with a wall switch. What doesn't show up in the picture is the repaired upper cabinet on the right. Dunno how much Fix-It-All is in there, but quite a bit! Plus glossy white paint once the repairs were done. It still needs either two upper doors or a fabric curtain across where the enclosed valance used to be.

There will probably still be a decorative wood barge board of some sort going along the ceiling in front of the light fixture. Just to keep the '50's touch as well as to hide the fixture ever so slightly. Might add a translucent fabric ruffle behind the board if the light still needs a bit more hiding. That light fixture was thrown away at the local transfer station two days ago. We'd intended buying a new one at the store, but someone threw two of them away, still working with bulbs and everything so hey, it's a gift from the universe.

There will be a ceiling canister light on either side of the sink. One for when we're working on the refrigerator side of the sink and one when we're cooking on the stove.

I also got tired of looking at the nasty beige pink lower cabinets and painted them with the same color as the wall. Which is also the same color as the back bedroom, Benjamin Moore's "Nob Hill Sage". I'd intended picking a color especially for the kitchen but I'd painted the cabinets white primer earlier and then there was too much white and I couldn't handle it so just grabbed the can of Nob Hill Sage that was in eggshell finish that didn't work for the back bedroom. The first coat in the back bedroom was in eggshell and it was too shiny and was replaced with a matt finish. So there was half a can of the eggshell finish just sitting there. Works pretty good for the kitchen.

I still think a slightly darker color of some sort of drab green or gray for the lower cabinets will eventually show up. Now that they are all one color, it's much easier to see where they need repair. I also have to do something about the lower edge of the cabinets where the termites chewed on them. It's gonna take a lot of Fix-It-All if I was gonna try to fix it with that and it doesn't stick as well as I'd like to an exposed lower edge like that. Maybe some sort of trim across the bottom would be a better fix although how it would fit where the hinges are would be "interesting". Hmm, maybe an edge of the same luan plywood (3/16" thick) that we are using for the ceiling would work. Eventually, we will replace the cabinets, but that's not gonna happen for five to ten years.

The picture there is a bit dark and doesn't show the "Nob Hill Sage" as green. Here's a brighter picture:

I also painted the side of the stove with white glossy paint, but it needs another coat. It's supposed to be a built in stove, but it was $100 on Craig's List and works fine for now. Generally it hides behind the door so it's not too bad. At some point, a sheet of something could cover the side or just the white paint will probably do. Eventually a stove hood will appear, too, but it hasn't shown up yet.

Last edited by hotzcatz; 09-10-2015 at 03:05 PM..

Old 09-10-2015, 02:52 PM

2 posts, read 1,982 times
i'v never seen such kind of kitchens in my whole life not even in movies. lol

Old 09-10-2015, 03:08 PM

It's typical of a 1950's kitchen in Hawaii. At least, around here, anyway. My friend has a similar one with the chrome trim, rounded counters and such. Hers is smaller, though.

The cabinets were built on site, the counter tops are Formica (or a similar brand of composite) and the metal edge was quite common from the 1940's through the 1960's, I'd guess.

Hawaii has some strange construction techniques due to the lack of insulation required.

This is still a work-in-progress, which might help the strangeness factor. I think we are going to make the ceiling look like big 2' x 2' squares with trim after we get it installed. Mostly to cover up the edges of the sheets of plywood for the ceiling.

Old 09-10-2015, 03:55 PM

3,403 posts, read 4,718,190 times
Grey and yellow are great together. And white with it. Like the towels hanging on the cupboards, black?

Old 09-10-2015, 04:05 PM

The hanging "towels" are pure serindipity. Two days ago, my husband had an old aloha shirt that he'd torn and was going to throw out. It is 100% cotton and pretty thick fabric. I noticed it matched the kitchen colors pretty well so it was made into hanging towels instead. I should have found a matching fabric scrap for the top part, but there was enough in the shirt do make the tops so I just got lazy.

The kitchen is actually a very soft green color instead of gray but it's hard to get the color to come through on the camera. We're doing a lot of the house in soft greens, blues and sandy colors. The whole house will sort of feel beachy by the time it's done, I expect.

Maybe this picture shows the color a bit better?

The kitchen is still a mess from taking everything out of the cabinets to run the wires for the lights. But I'm just happy that the lights work on a switch! There were termite holes completely through the wall behind the stove when we started. As well as through the cabinet doors. So, even though it's not done perfectly, it's still a long way from where we started. Here's a "previous" picture.

That picture is from half way through. The walls have been repaired (mostly) and scrubbed. That is the old stove, though, that I wasn't able to resurrect. Somewhere I still have the back light part to it, though, maybe I should find that and mount it on the wall behind the new stove. Give it a retro look as well as a light over the stove top. Has a clock, too, with a timer buzzer.

Last edited by hotzcatz; 09-10-2015 at 04:31 PM..

Old 09-10-2015, 05:56 PM

33,068 posts, read 61,882,928 times
You're doing a magnificent job!

Old 09-10-2015, 06:10 PM

14,183 posts, read 15,234,597 times
an amazing difference, great job. we just painted our cabinets in the kitchen that were fake wood laminate, the edges were a bit rough like yours too, and added new hardware. I painted it a dark deep blue, think the dark helped to take the eye away from the rough edges. adding a border trim on the cabinets would do the job too. the white spray paint did wonders too. perfect.

Old 09-10-2015, 11:59 PM

3,403 posts, read 4,718,190 times
Yes those photos show the color better, nice! Those aloha shirts are nice fabric, how clever. Just give the stove another couple coats of paint and see what happens. So what happened to the bottoms of the lower cabinets, all rough and chipped? Can you fix it? Maybe a board around the door? What are you planning for behind the stove for grease? How about a piece of glass?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or