U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 01:12 AM

10,294 posts, read 19,736,111 times

Advertisements

Hmm, good idea, Hothulamaui. If the lower cabinets are painted a darker color and the toe kick area under it were painted the same or a darker color, that would help hide the rough lower edges. I was thinking maybe a strip of the really thin plywood that we're using for the ceiling might make it look even. The difficulty is that anything thicker than Formica would interfere with the hinges. Hmm. For that matter, I think there's some scraps of dark gray Formica around here somewhere. 1-1/2" wide strips across the bottom of gray Formica might hide the rough lower edges and they'd be thin enough to work around the hinges, I think.

The rough lower edges are where the termites ate the cabinets. I can patch it somewhat with Fix-It-All, but edges like that show any irregularities in the line. They get bumped by things on the floor when the doors are opened and that could knock the repairs off since they'd be on the edges. For both those reasons, something other than a Fix-It-All repair might be best.

I'm thinking maybe battleship gray for the lower cabinets or a really drab dark green in the same color family as the walls. The pale green is better than the brown/beige that was there before but it's still not quite the right color. I'll dig around and see what color that Formica is, if it is a workable color, then maybe some sort of paint to go with that. How hard is it to cut Formica into strips without having chipped edges? Guess I'll go look that up, too. Whatever did we do before the internet?

Glass isn't a bad idea, Kayekaye! Although, would it have to be tempered? I do have some sheets of a thin stainless steel that I was kinda thinking about back there. Or perhaps ceramic tiles of some sort. Glass tiles would be lovely. Since it's a small area, it wouldn't matter that they're expensive. Once we get a range hood, then I'll have more of an idea of what should go there.

It is an outside wall, what about stained glass? Might be nice to have a stained glass window there. Let in a little light. Or I could just put a fixed glass window and look out into the back yard. As long as it wasn't open-able, it wouldn't affect cooking on the stove.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2015, 11:44 AM

14,185 posts, read 15,256,184 times
hot, are you thinking of putting the strips of wood on the inside of the doors, or using a full sheet to cover the entire door? I was thinking just a decorative trim around the outer edge of the cabinet, just nail it on there. like this
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/344455071473021559/
or this
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/135530270006373681/

here are my cabs before and after. you can't see the rough edges so much but the cabinets are not in great shape. I just got some special paint to paint surfboards with that I think I will use on my fridge to cover a few rust spots on it. I will probably paint some leaves on it in the colors that the house. the deep blue, an apple green and a burnt orange. still trying to decide if it is something I want to do and how badly the spots bother me.
http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/a...728_142434.jpg
http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/a...822_163909.jpg

Old 09-11-2015, 05:23 PM

3,403 posts, read 4,724,762 times
Love those gray cabinets hothulamaui. Love the carved stool backs too, course I love tropical.

That's hard to know what to do to quick fix that termite damage. Would it be too much work to cut off a strip on the bottom and add the same thickness to the bottom somehow tacked on from behind the door?

Stained glass would be wonderful! But the grease would get cruddy in the leading unless you covered it with another glass. But what about a frosted/etched glass with the frosted glass on the outside and smooth side in.
http://www.sanssoucie.com/wp-content...cal-leaves.jpg

Old 09-11-2015, 06:44 PM

206 posts, read 183,257 times
I just happened to stop in and saw the pictures. I think you've done a great job - your kitchen is so cute and attractive.

Old 09-20-2015, 03:57 PM

25,699 posts, read 24,750,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Aloha Hothulamaui,

............If you need a fleece to make a rug, let me know. My friend's sheep make new fleeces each year and she's got five sheepies so that's a lot of fleeces. They are Clun Forest so it's sorta a springy fleece. Makes real comfy rugs. Oh, I dumped it back in the bucket and made it more blue. Then ran it through the washer so as soon as it's dry it can be a rug again. If I ever get enough time to make more yarn, I'll spin up another fleece to make a larger rug for the kitchen.

So, now the kitchen shelves are up. Yay!

I actually like that 50's style, and can see what you mean, almost no one has that in their kitchens anymore. But, to each their own. I see the ceiling in the other pic, where y'all took out the sheetrock, are you going to put up flushmount lighting, or just wanted to put up fresh ceiling? Do you remember when they used to make the cabinets with metal, maybe it was stainless steel painted white, whatever, but those were very easy to keep clean.
That aluminum trim around the countertops look good too!

Old 09-21-2015, 02:01 AM

Well, I haven't done anything with the bottom edge of the cabinets quite yet. It'd be nice to get a pint of paint first so after the bottom edge is fussed at it can be painted. Still not quite sure what sort of fussing will be done quite yet, either.

So, instead of fixing cabinets, I hung up the fish dish behind the stove in lieu of tiles or anything more intricate. I don't at this moment have any tiles, but I do have a fish dish with nowhere else to store it, so fish dish behind the stove for fireproofing. Ha!

There's still no range hood, but we will get around to finding one one of these days.

And last week we sheared my friend's sheep so there's more wool to get the rug project further along. I still need to spin some more yarn and make the rug much wider, but that is the current colors of it. It can either stay those colors or be dyed blue with indigo similar to that little blue carpet that is there. You'd think I'd at least sweep before taking pictures, huh? The blue rug needs to be washed, too. Oh well.

The rug should be okay once it's about four times as wide perhaps. We will see how far the fleece will go. Although the sheep are out there making more fleece so if there's not enough then we can get the fleeces again next year. It's spun much thicker than the other rug (the blue rug is also from the same four Clun Forest sheep) and should be more squishy feeling on the feet. Clun Forest sheep's wool is great for carpets.

It's just "shepard's knit" which is sort of a half-crochet stitch. Around and around with really fat yarn. The only trouble is you can't buy yarn that fat but friends with sheep and a spinning wheel can fix that. Oh, and it's on yet another rug made from that same four sheep that mow my friend's yard. In that rug, the black parts are Midnight's lamb fleece and the white parts are his mom, Flannel's, fleece. So it's a "mother and son" rug. The yarn for that was spun to a heavy aran weight, this new rug has significantly thicker yarn. It's an Ashford Traditional spinning wheel with a bulky flyer and the fleece is spun raw and then washed after it's made into yarn. Then crocheted into the rug. Fat yarn goes pretty quickly even though I'm hoping to make a sizable rug.

I'm planning on maybe getting some quarter round and using that to nail down the edges of the sheet vinyl flooring. Tearing the vinyl up would be a huge chore and if we just fix the edges it will be good for a few more years. I tried pulling some of it up and it's glued down pretty solid just about everywhere except the edges.

White metal cabinets would be lovely but we're too close to the ocean and unfortunately, they'd just rust. But white painted wood cabinets do well enough. Although some of the cabinet is more Fix-It-All than wood after the termite repairs.

I could pull the door faces off and replace them with the same thin plywood we're using for the ceilings, but that's more work than I want to do at the moment. The cabinet faces are thin ply, not quite a quarter inch but thicker than an eighth. Do they make 3/16" plywood?

Last edited by hotzcatz; 09-21-2015 at 02:14 AM..

Old 09-22-2015, 10:12 AM

What a fun rug, nice to be able to make what you want with your own hand and talent. The fish is adorable. For the ceiling panels are you going to alternate the grain direction to make a woven look? I think that would nice, even painted.

Old 09-23-2015, 12:12 AM

It's hard to find durable rugs at decent prices and this at least gets a couple bags of fleece into a usable format. Once the rug is done it should be good for a decade or two, maybe more. It's much more economical to get stuff that lasts. Especially stuff that doesn't cost anything in the first place, they didn't want the fleeces.

The fish showed up from a garage sale somewhere several years ago. I don't even remember which one. It has some sort of mention of Tiffany on the back, which seems odd. "made for Tiffany by somebodyorother pottery" if I remember right. Doesn't look like any sort of Tiffany I'd think of. But, it was a big happy looking fish dish and they'd only wanted a couple dollars for it so it's been hanging around in the bath being a wash rag holder for a couple years but now it's over the stove. Being in the kitchen, it will probably get used as a platter more often now.

The plywood ceiling is thin enough, we could weave it. Cut it in 2" or 3" wide strips and go to town. Be a lot of splinters, though, as well as a lot of work. But the geckos would probably like it. If those woven bamboo sheets weren't so expensive, those would be nice ceiling. A bit too busy, probably, though. Although they could be white washed a bit, but then we're back to busy and too much work.

DH was thinking maybe instead of putting the ceiling up in big 4' x 8' sheets, we could cut them into 2' x 2' "tiles" and put them up that way. Then, if we ever needed to get up into the ceiling, we'd be able to take off one little section instead of a whole 4' x 8' one. Not sure if the work done to save work later would pay off or not, though. We're also thinking of putting some sort of trim around each 2' x 2' section. Help attach the plywood to the ceiling since the ply is so thin it doesn't have a lot of area for brads to stick so we've been having to use nails with heads on them. Which are then visible, so the trim would cover that up as well as help hold up the tiles.

We've been painting the ceiling sheets with white primer before putting them up. That will save at least one layer of white paint overhead. Invariably, that's the paint that drips the most.

Hmm, I was just looking at that picture of the fish dish over the stove and trying to remember prices of things. It's a $100 stove (Craig's List), followed by a $10 Noritake ceramic chicken on the shelf, then a $5 KitchenAid Mixer (garage sale, came with a meat grinder but needed to be repainted), Hull beanpot on the shelf - $2, cast iron pan and cast iron griddle - $2 each, glass jars on the counter - $2, $3, $3 (antique with ground glass lids). The fish dish was $4, I think it was. Stuff just appears at garage sales, we never know what's gonna show up next. But it does give us a really skewed idea of the value on things, I must admit. If / when we go into a retail store, the numbers just don't make any sense to us so we generally wander back out again without buying anything. Well, except at the hardware and grocery, we buy stuff retail there. Sometimes, anyway.

Well, I should go spin some more yarn. Quilting group is tomorrow and I seem to be making a rug instead of a quilt, but they don't mind. Maybe I'll take the spinning wheel and make more yarn instead of making rugs.

Last edited by hotzcatz; 09-23-2015 at 12:21 AM..

Old 09-23-2015, 11:06 PM

Lots of good deals. Score, you got a Kitchenaide mixer for $5? That's amazing. Does it work good? I love mine and it's very old. I keep thinking I should get my daughter one but then she would have a new one, so maybe I will get the new one, but then I have heard that the old motors are better. LOL

The 2x2' squares cut from plywood are a good idea. I didn't mean weaving, just alternating rotating the squares so the grain is going different directions.

You should photograph the back of the fish and research it, never know.

Have fun spinning! I am sewing for a couple days. A lady wants drapes from a black and red Hawaiian barkcloth fabric that I bought quite a while ago. Had a hard time figuring which way the fabric was up but noticed the lobster claw heliconia that grows down so that helped.

Old 09-24-2015, 07:25 PM

32,525 posts, read 31,778,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
It's typical of a 1950's kitchen in Hawaii. At least, around here, anyway. My friend has a similar one with the chrome trim, rounded counters and such. Hers is smaller, though.

The cabinets were built on site, the counter tops are Formica (or a similar brand of composite) and the metal edge was quite common from the 1940's through the 1960's, I'd guess.

Hawaii has some strange construction techniques due to the lack of insulation required.
I grew up in a 50's era house in So Cal. The kitchen was very similar. The counter tops were a dull gray Formica with the metal edge. In the 60's tile mosaics came into style. My mother tiled the back splash to brighten it up. Your fish would have fit right in. Tile fish were big in the early 60's.

Love your yellow counters and the fish!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or