U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 01:21 AM

10,277 posts, read 19,716,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
Lots of good deals. Score, you got a Kitchenaide mixer for $5? That's amazing. Does it work good? I love mine and it's very old. I keep thinking I should get my daughter one but then she would have a new one, so maybe I will get the new one, but then I have heard that the old motors are better. LOL

The 2x2' squares cut from plywood are a good idea. I didn't mean weaving, just alternating rotating the squares so the grain is going different directions.

You should photograph the back of the fish and research it, never know.

Have fun spinning! I am sewing for a couple days. A lady wants drapes from a black and red Hawaiian barkcloth fabric that I bought quite a while ago. Had a hard time figuring which way the fabric was up but noticed the lobster claw heliconia that grows down so that helped.
Yup, the old Kitchen Aid mixers work much better than the newer ones. The old parts are machined instead of stamped, the whole thing is heavier. The fellow selling it said it had been his mom's but the paint was chipped on the top of it and it looked a bit dingy. I may repaint it some color to go with the new kitchen. Maybe coral, depends on what gets used for accents. Bright yellow might be a bit much. Cobalt blue, perhaps. Maybe crinkle finish cobalt? Or, automotive paint and candy apple red? DH says I didn't do a good paint job on it and it could be shinier. Ha! Maybe I'll ask him how to get the paint to be shiny next time and then he will take over the project for me.

The old Kitchen Aid mixers were made by Hobart, not sure who makes them now. I think it was the mid-80's when they were sold so if you have a Kitchen Aid mixer actually made by Hobart, don't let it out of your hands. It's a by far superior product to the current line.

There isn't a lot of grain on the ceiling plywood, but I'll look and see if it would be noticeable. No need to do work if it's not gonna either be structural or noticeable.

Did you get the fabric from Singer Discount fabric in Hilo? They've got loads there. After the kitchen is painted, I'll probably go fabric shopping there for curtain fabric. Probably barkcloth, probably Hawaiian print, but that's before looking at any fabric, of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2015, 09:24 PM

3,402 posts, read 4,718,190 times
Yes mine is a Hobart, that's what I have heard that they were the better motor. So then I guess my daughter gets a new one and I will hang on to mine. Thanks. Gutsy move painting the kitchenaide. Post a photo if you do it, would love to see it. My MIL waxes her appliances (and cupboards) in the kitchen, so that could shine up the mixer. She says it keeps them easier to clean, I haven't continued the tradition though.

I got the fabric at the Aloha Stadium Swap Meet on Oahu, love that. Bought fabric there many times. Never been to Hilo but for one day, drove all the way the and back to Kailua-Kona so not much shopping. Next time... I hope!

Old 09-29-2015, 01:34 PM

Waxing appliances and plumbing fixtures does make them easier to clean. When they are new, we will wax them, but then we generally get too lazy to keep it up.

I've never really looked at Aloha swap meet for fabric, but there's that fabric store just outside of Waikiki on Kalakaua Ave which is nice. One over in Kaneohe and in Maikiki, too, but those are different companies, I think. But, we're Big Island now so we have Singer Discount in Hilo, another one in Kailua-Kona and several quilting shops here and there. It's getting closer to curtain fabric finding time but not quite yet.

I'm not sure if the lower cabinets are quite the right color yet. They seem a bit too gray at the moment. It doesn't take much time or paint to change their color so I may try a slightly different color. Although now that the walls and cabinets are in the green realm, there's nothing to support the yellow counter top color. Maybe going towards a tan or brown would tie the counter tops in with the rest of the kitchen better? Would coral lower cabinets be too extreme?

I suppose yellow curtains might help tie in the counter top? If there are curtains. I'm thinking not much more than a ruffle across the top would be the "curtains". At least, at the sink area. The big window by the dining room table may get some big curtains.

The window sill still needs to be replaced, it will probably be made wider. Also need to patch and paint some more on the trim, but the first coat of paint is useful to show which areas still need repair. It also makes the project seem like it's going along faster. But the curtains here will be a large part of the color scheme. Matching the ruffle above the sink and maybe some matching hand towels hanging from the drawer pulls. Maybe a matching tablecloth, it all depends on what fabric shows up for the curtains.

The mixer won't get painted until I know what the contrast color will be for the kitchen. Maybe bright red, maybe coral, not sure yet.

Outside the kitchen window is the laundry area, need to finish the roof on that, too. The solar water heating panels will go on that roof extension so once that's done, then the panels will be up and the electric bill should go down. We also are planning on putting solar electric so that will need to be done soon, too. Our electrician already has us signed up for it with the electric company so as soon as those panels are up, then they can lower the electric bill, too. Electricity in Hawaii is expensive.

Still need to make more yarn for the rug. I was putting up ceiling yesterday instead of making more yarn. Did get one 4' x 8' sheet of thin plywood painted and installed. It's gonna take awhile to get the ceilings done, I think.

Last edited by hotzcatz; 09-29-2015 at 02:12 PM.. Reason: added picture

Old 09-29-2015, 08:49 PM

Location: Did you know that before the Crowbar was invented that Crows used to drink at home
2,275 posts, read 5,584,194 times
Love your kitchen especially your yellow counter top. Nice job on the corner shelves. Im sorry to hear about your stove. Glad to hear you kept the back. Points for not making everything new and shiny.

I wonder how the bottom cabinets would look if you painted them a pale yellow. I have the same handles on my cabinets . I painted them with meteor red enamel. It gives my cabinets a nice pop of color and ties in my vintage red handled kitchen utensils and chalkware .

Call me crazy but I kinda like the look of your ceiling grid. I wonder what it would look like if you could slide a board on top and paint it all white. Might be too busy tho. Id have to see it to tell. Sometimes I think I like something and then when I see it I don't.

I like the squares on the ceiling instead of full sheets of plywood. Another idea would be to cut your plywood into board size strips. Then you could do a "plank" ceiling.

Old 09-29-2015, 09:18 PM

3,402 posts, read 4,718,190 times
Working hard! I've been to several fabric stores, can't remember them all, Kaneohe for sure. But the prices are pretty good at the Swap meet. Yellow might be a good choice for your fabric, working with the counters.

Like the Palm tree picture, is it a Turner?

Old 09-30-2015, 03:43 AM

Not sure if pale yellow would be good for the lower cabinets. I was hoping they'd blend in and not stand out, wouldn't yellow kinda pop them out?

Hmm, red enamel handles sound interesting! I'd thought about replacing them all with new ones that look just like the old ones, but colored handles would be fun. Maybe a translucent really shiny automotive paint would work. I could make it the same color as the mixer, if/when I ever get around to painting that.

The ceiling grid is rough 2" x 2" blocking nailed to the 2" x 4" ceiling joists. The roof is rafters so there's no trusses. In any case, we want a flat ceiling so the geckos won't be over our head. I don't mind them on the walls, but overhead they make too many droppings. We're gonna put trim into 2' x 2' squares so it won't look like big sheets when it's all done. At least, that's the plan at the moment.

One of the reasons for putting the ceiling up in 4' x 8' sheets is then I don't have to cut them into smaller sheets. I have a really nice chop saw, a not so nice table saw without much room to maneuver a 4' x 8' sheet and circular saws. It's actually easier to put up big sheets and then trim them out to look smaller.

Next time the girls go to Hilo (every once in awhile my friend just wants to jaunt off, doesn't really matter which direction as long as we leave the guys at home and don't go to an automotive supply store) anyway, next time we go out and about, we can pop into the fabric store and see if there's a good curtain fabric. It will be awhile, though.

Haven't a clue if the picture is a Turner or not, I don't see a signature. We got it because is had a nice frame and was only $8 at a yard sale. There was another picture with a similar frame, although I think we paid $10 for that one. Labeled "majestic" by Guy Harvey and is a signed/numbered print of a painting of three whales. The painter is generally is more of a fish illustrator than an artist, but the whales in this print count as "art". So, we have a pair of pictures with matching frames and both have beach/ocean themes so it all works. I'm trying for a theme, but we keep defaulting to "eclectic".

Old 09-30-2015, 11:04 AM

Location: Did you know that before the Crowbar was invented that Crows used to drink at home
2,275 posts, read 5,584,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Not sure if pale yellow would be good for the lower cabinets. I was hoping they'd blend in and not stand out, wouldn't yellow kinda pop them out?

Hmm, red enamel handles sound interesting! I'd thought about replacing them all with new ones that look just like the old ones, but colored handles would be fun. Maybe a translucent really shiny automotive paint would work. I could make it the same color as the mixer, if/when I ever get around to painting that.

The ceiling grid is rough 2" x 2" blocking nailed to the 2" x 4" ceiling joists. The roof is rafters so there's no trusses. In any case, we want a flat ceiling so the geckos won't be over our head. I don't mind them on the walls, but overhead they make too many droppings. We're gonna put trim into 2' x 2' squares so it won't look like big sheets when it's all done. At least, that's the plan at the moment.

One of the reasons for putting the ceiling up in 4' x 8' sheets is then I don't have to cut them into smaller sheets. I have a really nice chop saw, a not so nice table saw without much room to maneuver a 4' x 8' sheet and circular saws. It's actually easier to put up big sheets and then trim them out to look smaller.

Next time the girls go to Hilo (every once in awhile my friend just wants to jaunt off, doesn't really matter which direction as long as we leave the guys at home and don't go to an automotive supply store) anyway, next time we go out and about, we can pop into the fabric store and see if there's a good curtain fabric. It will be awhile, though.

Haven't a clue if the picture is a Turner or not, I don't see a signature. We got it because is had a nice frame and was only $8 at a yard sale. There was another picture with a similar frame, although I think we paid $10 for that one. Labeled "majestic" by Guy Harvey and is a signed/numbered print of a painting of three whales. The painter is generally is more of a fish illustrator than an artist, but the whales in this print count as "art". So, we have a pair of pictures with matching frames and both have beach/ocean themes so it all works. I'm trying for a theme, but we keep defaulting to "eclectic".
I was thinking more of a pale yellow maybe almost white not YELLO like the counters. I like the yellow counters but they are a little bright so I was thinking the same shade of yellow only a lot paler would make them blend in. Kinda like when you have a room that's all angles and you paint everything the same color.

JMO but I wouldn't buy new handles the ones you have are pretty spiffy. Besides Im cheap.
If you cook your hardware in an old crockpot it will clean off all the old paint and gunk. You might not need new ones. I didn't want to spend the money on automotive paint so I crockpotted mine. Then I screwed them all on to a piece of heavy cardboard and painted them with several coats. Its been years and they are still holding up fine.

I see your plan for the ceiling. Sounds like you have it covered. We don't have geckos here just mice. The Mouse Marauders have them under control tho.

Can you get Flexall there its great for patching all kinds of stuff. You might be able to patch some stuff instead of replacing it. You can get pretty fancy with it if you are so inclined. I love it. Ive used a ton of it.

Heres an old Christopher Lowell demo. If you look him up theres more.
Official Christopher Lowell Website

Eclectic is good. Cant wait to see all your treasures when youre done.

Old 10-05-2015, 06:39 AM

39,062 posts, read 48,006,211 times
Wow, I admit that I would have run, screaming, from the old kitchen, but it is really coming along nicely. Good for you, hotz,

Old 10-05-2015, 07:48 AM

1,132 posts, read 913,847 times
Great work.

When I clicked on the thread the first time, I was in the 'gut it' crowd. I didn't see that you are in Hawaii until I jumped to the last page. I'm glad you went with the restoration. I'm always so pragmatic with the resale value, I was thinking 'modern features for modern buyers', but a house like that is going to have more charm value than anything else.

The only, *only* thing I might of done different was put an outside vent over the stove. I know you probably can leave the windows open for most of the year for venting, but I always like being able to pump the smokey, stinky, greasy smells out as soon as they are created.

Secondly, I need to go garage saleing in HI....you find the coolest stuff there. I'm not much of one now, but if I could find a Hobart-built KitchenAid for $5, I might get up early on a Saturday.

Great work, great thread, Mahalo.

Old 10-06-2015, 03:14 AM

I found a place to get new handles identical to the ones there for 99¢ each, Ceclia-Rose. At that price, it might be easier to get shiny new ones than to refurbish the old ones. The existing ones have some corrosion and pitting on them, so even cleaned, they aren't gonna be all that shiny. It would still be about $35 to replace them all, though. Hmm, I suppose for most renovations/restorations, that wouldn't really be a big ticket item.

That's an exact match for what's there. The local hardware store here still has them, but the price is a lot higher. They come in either chrome or gold, we'd probably get the chrome to match the edges of the counter top.

What about pulls like this "modern" one? Would that look better, do you think? More than likely, we will be just replace the existing with matching pulls, but the "modern" looking ones might be worthwhile. Would it be better to get the more "modern" ones?

I can get new hinges pretty cheap, too, although I'm not sure if the same surface mount hinges are the way to go or not. These surface mount butterfly hinges are pretty period for the late forties and early fifties, but I can get small ball tip hinges which would also work well. They'd be less obvious although they are in rubbed bronze or some strange color like that instead of chrome. If they were in shiny chrome, I'd switch without thinking about it.

These hinges are 58¢ each (not per pair so they'd be $1.16 per pair). They'd match most of the existing hinges, although they wouldn't be painted like the ones currently there. I dunno, I think door handles first and then hinges later.

No worries, Gentlearts, there were a couple of screams here and there. I'd not thought it was that bad when we bought it, but we kept finding things to fix and my DH went a bit overboard tearing things out, IMHO. But it probably needed it. I'm still not sure how to fix the kitchen cabinets, some of the door skins are pretty termite chewed. At the moment, it's Fix-It-All and paint, at some point, I may make some more doors for them (1-1/2" framing with 3/16" ply on top) and see how it goes. At the moment, I'm just going for something easy and functional, we'll work on perfect later. There's ceilings to install before worrying about termite damage on cabinet doors.

No worries, Brucifer, there will be an outside vent on the stove at some point. We just haven't found it at a garage sale or on Craig's List yet. It will appear. Or, I suppose, I could weld something up. Just make a couple of standard stove vent filters fit in it. It might be nice to have a custom stove vent, maybe something "atomic" looking, somehow. Not sure what blowers they use for them, but we can find an old hood and use one from it. It would be easier to use an existing one, though. It will appear.

We do leave the doors and windows open all year around, though, but it's nice to have the lights in the vent hood even if the vent is redundant. We don't have modern buyers here much, either, but none of that matters since what this house has is location. This is Hawaii, after all.

We did find some small tiles for behind the stove at last weekend's garage sales. $5 for enough tiles to fill in behind the stove, so not a terribly good deal, but it will do. Little 2" x 2" tiles in sort of a speckly gray color. I think we got the adhesive and grout, too, come to think of it.

I think we may now finally have the final colors of the kitchen cabinets, too. This is Benjamin Moore paint in "Nob Hill Sage" for the walls and two shades darker "Norway Spruce". In the picture, the paint is still not completely dry so the doors and drawers aren't shut. The window frame still needs a coat of paint, it's just in primer. And I think I'll take some of the slightly darker green and paint the a bit of the window sashes to add more depth.

It still needs some decoration, maybe a ruffle across the top of the windows? Something in yellow. The yellow counter top has been down played enough that it now needs a bit of something to integrate it all into the kitchen again. I did get some quilt fabric last weekend to make some pineapple pillows for the living room couch. The bright yellow fabric might make a nice ruffle curtain, the colors are right, but the pattern isn't tropical or beach like at all, really, though.

That bright yellow is an almost exact match for the kitchen counter, but I don't know if it's quite the right stuff. So, I guess I'll just have to go fabric shopping next time my friend wants to run off to Hilo, huh?

Last edited by hotzcatz; 10-06-2015 at 03:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or