U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 05:34 AM

1,132 posts, read 915,608 times

Advertisements

I was only suggesting the vent as long as you had everything torn apart. Even if you don't have the mechanical parts for the vent, I figured having the plumbing in place would allow you to connect to it easier at a later point in time. As for the hood itself, I'm not familiar with 50's design enough to know what would look good in there. A quick Google search showed a very simple design, almost an awning shape.

I'm not a fan of 2" tile behind the stove. Personally, I would want the least number of seams/grout lines as possible behind the cooking area, that's just me. I know you are working with what you can find, and I'm sure it will look great when it's done, but that's my $.02. Maybe you will come across a stainless steel table with bad legs and you use that as a backsplash.

I like the modern pulls. Kinda gives off that 50's space-y rocketman feel.

I might hold off on the hinges until you replace the doors. I looked at your original pics and the hinges look like they were painted over then. Now you added another coat on top of that. Even if you were to X-Acto around every hinge to free it from the paint, you will probably still have to sand down the build up that might be there. Not a big job when everything is apart, but it's another couple of steps more than swapping out pulls.

I don't think the yellow fabric would look out of place in the kitchen. I see it as a more abstract tropical look. Of course, if you have to go to Hilo, maybe something will jump out at you (though when that happens to me, leaping is usually proportion to price ;P ).

Keep up the good work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2015, 05:45 AM

4,858 posts, read 2,501,430 times
That last picture looks really nice. The paint color on the cabinets coordinates really well now. I like the yellow print fabric too, unless of course you find something nicer in Hilo. And I absolutely LOVE your vintage yellow countertops! Please don't ever remove them!

Old 10-06-2015, 07:32 AM

39,102 posts, read 48,059,764 times
IMO, I think a ruffle or valance across the top of a window looks like a unibrow, but I get your desire to add a little color and pattern to the window, and I guess in a vintage kitchen it would work.

I would probably do a single, roman shade, outside mount, on the window frame. This would give you the splash of pattern you want, yet would stack tightly, so would not block too much light from the window. I like the fabric to the far right with 2 shades of yellow.

Old 10-06-2015, 11:51 PM

10,292 posts, read 19,732,904 times
This is single wall construction, Brucifer, there's nothing to tear apart so we can install a vent when ever one shows up. The house walls are made of vertical T & G boards. One side of the board is the inside of the house, the other side of the board is the outside of the house. When it's time to install the vent, a circular saw from the outside of the house will probably be the easiest way to cut a hole. I don't think this type of construction is popular in many places other than Hawaii. We have the weather that lets it work since there's no room for insulation.

There are some rolls of thin SS metal around here, I could just laminate that onto a backer board and put it behind the stove. With these tiles, I'm thinking of making a tabletop sized board that also fits behind the stove and mounting the tiles on the board. Then fastening the board to the wall behind the stove. If I don't like the tiles, then just unscrew the board from the wall, put some feet on it and it becomes a table.

The "modern" pulls are much bigger overall than the ones we have now, but maybe I'll get them and see how they look. Might get both those and the identical replacement pulls so if the modern ones don't look right we can revert back to the original. We're part of a little resale shop here in town, so the ones I don't use can probably be sold there at about what we paid for them so it wouldn't be an expensive thing to get both. I keep trying for a 50's look but it just keeps going the way it's going. Maybe the "modern" pulls will help bring out the 50's a bit more.

Well, I got some straight pins and pinned the fabric above the windows just to see what it would look like.

It's an absolute match to the kitchen counters. Arrgh! So much for having an excuse for fabric shopping.

Now I guess it's to figure out how much of this yellow fabric goes where. I'm thinking a light ruffle (not a real full fat ruffle) across the entire top of the window. Start at the top of the window frame and bring it down to the level of the top shelf on the side there. Or just two little ruffles like what's pinned up there now?

Old 10-07-2015, 03:20 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,094,589 times
This kitchen wouldn't last 2 seconds on "Flip or Flop"

Old 10-08-2015, 02:22 AM

10,292 posts, read 19,732,904 times
Nope, it probably wouldn't. Which is a good thing, we like it old and comfortable and wouldn't want it all made into granite and stainless steel. Too much drama on those shows, anyway. We're too lazy for drama.

Old 10-08-2015, 07:18 PM

15,678 posts, read 14,164,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Nope, it probably wouldn't. Which is a good thing, we like it old and comfortable and wouldn't want it all made into granite and stainless steel. Too much drama on those shows, anyway. We're too lazy for drama.
I also prefer a warm and homey kitchen, like yours , to the cold and sterile ones that are in vogue today.

Old 10-08-2015, 07:55 PM

15,697 posts, read 11,425,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I also prefer a warm and homey kitchen, like yours , to the cold and sterile ones that are in vogue today.
I totally agree.

Old 10-08-2015, 08:03 PM

15,697 posts, read 11,425,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Well, I got some straight pins and pinned the fabric above the windows just to see what it would look like.

It's an absolute match to the kitchen counters. Arrgh! So much for having an excuse for fabric shopping.

Now I guess it's to figure out how much of this yellow fabric goes where. I'm thinking a light ruffle (not a real full fat ruffle) across the entire top of the window. Start at the top of the window frame and bring it down to the level of the top shelf on the side there. Or just two little ruffles like what's pinned up there now?
You are right, that yellow curtain looks really good there. I would go with the light ruffle too. The little ruffle seems to fit in well, but I think a slightly larger one would look good too.

Old 10-08-2015, 08:05 PM

3,403 posts, read 4,723,873 times
Yes the yellow is a perfect match, use it. I like the 2 valances inside the window instead of one big one but could it be a little larger so it hangs down a bit more? Do you have enough to make anything else with it? like place mats or table runner? Must still go to the fabric store whenever you can though haha you never know what is waiting there for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or