U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 01:22 AM

10,291 posts, read 19,725,796 times

Advertisements

So, I went back to the quilt shop and got some more of the yellow fabric. I'd not paid attention to the fabric prices earlier since I was just getting an eighth of a yard for a quilted pillow project. I only got three yards of the bright yellow since it was $13 a yard! Oh my gauds and little fishes, but that's the most expensive per yard fabric I've bought in decades. Oh well, it was only three yards, but still! I'll use an old white sheet for curtain backing. Don't want the yellow to fade at that price.

I'm thinking the height of the counter back splash. And a fairly flat ruffle, perhaps even fairly widely spaced boxed pleats. What I'm thinking is visually the eye would see the counter top back splash and then there would be sort of a band of the same height and color running across the top of the windows, too. Maybe a touch narrower, things should get a bit narrower as they go higher. But something horizontal to bring out the width of the windows, it's a really nice wide window and it would be good to emphasize that aspect.

Hmm, although two smaller ruffles just across the window pane area like the one in the picture although possibly even narrower would also work. Be easier since it could be installed on a tight string between two tiny eye bolts put into the window frames. Although these are true double hung windows so a ruffle there would get in the way if the window was opened with that front pane all the way up. At the moment, I have space at the top as well as the bottom to ventilate more. During the winter, I'll probably shut the top all the way and just leave them open at the bottom to let air in. It's Hawaii, we rarely shut entirely shut the windows. Although sometimes in the dead of winter when it gets down to below sixty, then we will shut the windows and bake bread.

I'll work on the window ruffle in quilting group this week. I think with three yards, there should be enough to do a matching window ruffle for the dining area window which is in the same room. Hmm, and perhaps some small actual curtains at the back door window, but the back of the door is against the stove when it's open, so probably not since that would be a fire hazard.

If it wasn't so expensive, I'd have made a matching table cloth, but $40 for table cloth seems a bit much when it's a small table. Plus there'd have to be a seam down the middle. I might make some pineapple hanging hand towels for the kitchen drawers since I'd just need a bit of the yellow for the pineapples and can use a dark green or brown or something else for the rest of it.

My shopping friend and I are escaping on Tuesday, but we are heading off in the other direction away from Hilo, so no big fabric store shopping for us this week.

I did get a couple skeins of wool yarn spun up for the rug project today, but other than that not much has happened on the kitchen project. There's still two leaks in the roof to fix before putting the rest of the ceiling in and it's been raining so no fixing the roof right yet. All but one kitchen light are in now, though. There's now a can light over the dining table so that ceiling board perhaps can go in. Although I've been working from the other side of the kitchen so the ceiling will probably wait until it can be installed from that side.

Last edited by hotzcatz; 10-12-2015 at 01:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2015, 10:44 PM

3,403 posts, read 4,721,942 times
Well at least you found matching fabric, that's a bonus. $13 a yard not too bad, could have been higher I guess. I love the box pleat idea. I would just use regular white curtain rods and attach them above the glass in the moldings on the window, not use a string, but that's me. Nice there is enough to do the other window.

Old 07-23-2016, 03:07 PM

Well, it's months later now and I still haven't finished those curtains. Other projects have taken precedence and now my sewing room is full of the relocated junk from the living room when we had to quickly clean it up for the house sitters. We had an unplanned Alaskan vacation to go help our disabled friend get his cabin ready for the first run of the king salmon this year. I've got another vacation coming up in a couple of weeks, so kitchen projects have been pretty low on the 'to do' list but this one got done anyway.

The original kitchen island and for that matter the kitchen counters themselves, have no overhangs. Without overhangs, when something drips over the edge, it goes down the face of the cabinets so overhangs are a good thing. But, I'm not gonna go through the effort to add them at this point.

The kitchen island hasn't been doing much other than being a flat spot to catch things. The toaster seems to live there and that's about the only useful thing that happens there. Otherwise, it was just a backwater of stuff that lives on flat spots and being a flat spot spot the island seemed to breed more stuff, too. There's enough other counter space in the kitchen that we don't need the island as prep space.

Since there's no large overhangs for knees to be under, it was awkward to use the island as an eating space. Because the ferociously yellow laminate counter top hasn't been manufactured for years, there's no matching that color so that made additions to the counter top tricky.

You can't quite see it in that 'before' picture, but the bottom of the siding of the island is all chewed up from termites. It's been one of those things I've been looking at thinking "hmm, I should do something about that" but it just hadn't made it to the top of the 'deal with it' list. I'd kinda planned on putting Fix-It-All in the holes and making it look less objectionable, but that was about as far as that had gone.

This is a more typical 'before' picture showing how the island collects stuff although you still can't quite see the really chewed up area on the island front. This picture was when we were trying to figure out how to get the oversized refrigerator to fit into a '50s kitchen. The cabinets above the refrigerator have been moved further up, but the wall behind the 'fridge hasn't been cut out yet.

The week before last, I finally decided to just put a 'temporary' ledge there to see if the island would work as a breakfast bar. I'd been thinking of making the eating ledge the same shape as half the island split long wise. That would make it about the right width with a curved front to match the rest of the island.

To hold the whole thing up, some brackets below would be necessary. I'd figured one 'ledger' board on the wall and two brackets would support it well enough. The brackets could also follow the same curve as the end of the island. So, that was the plan, just some temporary boards to see how it would look. Most of the temporary idea was because I wasn't sure how to go about matching or working with that ferociously yellow existing island top.

Kicking around through the general stuff we end up having laying about (we collect things and generally have 'good stuff' waiting for a project to happen to it) I came across a 1" thick long length of plywood already cut to exactly the width of half the island counter top and covered in white Formica on both sides. That just upped the game past 'temporary' status. There's more boards like it so I may make some shelves somewhere else. These are some boards that someone was throwing away during a remodel and are a perfect example of things my DH can not resist. Sometimes that's an exasperating habit when he brings home strange things but frequently it's useful things.

I'd planned on a forty five minute quick temporary ledge, but somehow it turned into a three day event. I don't work fast, though.

The cabinet siding was replaced with the same thin plywood we're using for the ceilings (a project which still needs doing). I should have used one thickness thicker of the ply, but it was just what we had laying around so that's what was used. Behind the bracket on the right is a new 2" x 2" post to support the bracket but you can't see that in the picture. I should probably paint the brackets to match the cabinet sides, but it's Formica so white will be okay. We'd had a bit of old 'chrome' (it's actually aluminum) trim which we found stashed under the house when we bought it so the trim matches the existing exactly. We had all of 2" of trim left over after the project.

The white Formica kinda goes with the white appliances in the kitchen. The ledge adds enough leg room that the island can now be used as a breakfast bar or as a chatting site for someone visiting with the cook. I use it a lot as a reading ledge.

I may add in a shorter white ledge between the 'fridge and the island and maybe between the 'fridge and the counter tops on the other side. We don't really need the counter space, but it would be nice to have the 'fridge fit better.

Old 07-23-2016, 05:24 PM

206 posts, read 183,140 times
From what I can see of the "new" it's a big improvement. I have a bookholder too. What are you eating? And reading?

Last edited by Tish437; 07-23-2016 at 06:28 PM..

Old 07-23-2016, 05:59 PM

What a great solution! The kitchen looks so fresh and clean. Hope you get to your curtains soon, that will be fun. I know what you mean about the husbands bringing stuf home lol.

On another note hope you and all are safe from Darby.

Old 07-23-2016, 06:50 PM

Salad and science fiction seems to go well together, don't you think, Tish? Although Marion Zimmer Bradley's 'Darkover' series might be more fantasy than science fiction? In any case, I'm reading the Darkover series from start to finish with all the books in it that I can find. I had to have the library send two of them over to my local library which will probably be delayed by the storm since all the libraries on the island are closed today.

I may bring my traveling sewing machine out and set it on the counter and use the new eating ledge as a sewing place for awhile. Probably easier than clearing out the sewing room, although that still needs to be done. Might be easier to make kitchen curtains while in the kitchen, perhaps.

Tropical Storm Darby is still on it's way. I just got a report that about seventy miles down the coast someone's small sheds blew away so it may be stronger than we had been thinking it might be. We've had rain for part of yesterday and almost all of today with 15 to 20 MPH winds. Seems like within the past hour or so the winds are picking up and the rain remains. A bit of fog rolled in. We're also getting a lot of condensation on things that don't normally get damp, which is a bit odd.

We probably have three to five hours before the big winds get here, if the storm remains strong from seventy miles away. So far there's still power and internet, I'm almost surprised about that. But, several of the sewing machines will work without power so maybe I'll start in on those curtains if the power goes out.

Old 07-23-2016, 07:02 PM

206 posts, read 183,140 times
MZB was a great and highly-respected writer. I don't read science fiction, but several years ago I read her book The Mists of Avalon. Wonderful, but not easy reading. Have you read that?

Old 07-24-2016, 12:07 AM

I read it a couple decades ago and there's a copy on my shelves, maybe I'll read that when I'm done with the Darkover series. I do remember it as not being a book I'd want to reread right away, but not much more than that.

The tropical storm seems to have veered off and missed us. Yay! It came to land on the other side of Hilo and then veered off so no more storm.

I've got the sewing machine out, but not working on the curtains yet.

Old 07-24-2016, 08:47 AM

Yay! Glad the storm missed you.

Great idea for a temporary sewing station. Those curtains won't take you very long when you get done reading ��. Looking forward to seeing them. Back in November I used up all my Hawaiian barkcloth on two different rooms for someone. I sewed them at her dining room table, one day for each room. Now she has a tropical touch in her home and I am all out of barkcloth.

Old 07-24-2016, 08:59 AM

16,053 posts, read 20,638,885 times
You added ledge looks great. What luck to have found those shelves already covered in Formica, and the chrome to match your island!

Make your curtains easier.....use those little chrome rings instead of making the curtain rod seams, just hem the bottom and top, and clip those chrome (or bamboo, or whatever style) rings onto the fabric, very authentic to the period. https://www.bing.com/search?q=chrome...rom%2050's
https://www.bing.com/search?q=bamboo+curtain rings+from+50's&form=EDGNTC&qs=PF&cvid=25e9cdfef75 d44d192a2c932d5ad2c73&pq=chrome%20curtain%20rings% 20from%2050's

Thank you for the update. Looks wonderful, can't wait to see more progress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or