U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 05:10 PM

9,982 posts, read 7,055,638 times

Advertisements

you will have to want to go for the look, sure you have a starting point.
image search 1950s pink kitchen.
but you have to like the look. the range looks 60s-early 70s to me not 50s.
the fridge is early/mid 90s.
don't see much worth keeping except the table and countertop

Last edited by Snowball7; 09-02-2014 at 05:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 10:46 PM

28,449 posts, read 73,391,949 times
I wonder if the structure should be assessed for sesmic / hurricane resistance ... Construction Guide on Strengthening Existing Houses in Hawaii Against Hurricanes and Earthquakes - for the island of Hawaii

Old 09-02-2014, 10:53 PM

35,107 posts, read 42,149,571 times
Why not get it all cleaned up first with all of the dirt off of everything then have an inspection to see exactly what can/could be salvaged and what cannot be salvaged.
Then you will have a starting point after all the dirt is gone.

Old 09-03-2014, 12:31 AM

3,402 posts, read 4,718,190 times
hotzcatz, what a great house and better yet with ocean views. Yes those single wall construction is typical in Hawaii, not much can be done about that. The countertops were made out of linoleum floor material in the '50s, there is some similar material available at Lowes or like stores so you might be able to find it, but formica is a better product for kitchen work. Those old linoleum counters got so cut up so easily. This just cries out for turquoise and barkcloth. But you want to stay red for the table? The drapes in there now look more late '60s.

Is this a vacation rental? If I could I would fly over to help if I were a relative! I hope you keep us posted with progress reports.

Old 09-03-2014, 01:29 AM

19,526 posts, read 24,463,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
I'm pretty sure the Realtor is gonna tell us tomorrow that this will be ours. The house was built in 1952, it doesn't look like much remodeling was ever done. It's been vacant now for over twenty years and everything was more or less left in place. Fortunately, "retro-mod" is now in, so restoring it to it's 50's glory is probably better than trying to remodel it into some sort of current style.

This is as it is now. Was that orange counter tops with peach cabinets and yellow walls? Under the yellow walls where it is peeling is a dusky pink, so at one time it was pink. One of the bedrooms is still a dusky pink, one aqua, one teal blue. It obviously needs "a little work" but most of it will be washing and painting although there's a few structural bits here and there. But for now, what colors should a 1950's kitchen be? The counter tops will need new laminate, the walls will need paint, the cabinets will need paint and will probably need new flooring, too.

I'm thinking pink might be really fun, but this house might end up a rental so would that work? Although we may end up renting out the house we are in now (a new '70s house) and living in this one instead. Anyway, would people rent a house with a pink kitchen? Is pink too much?

What sort of colors should this kitchen end up? Somehow, I don't seem to resonate to the orange/peach/yellow, but should that be kept? Otherwise, I've got a few color schemes in mind:

1. Over the top pink. Pink counter tops (or maybe even red), white (or possibly pale pink) cabinets and pink and white checkerboard tiles. Pink walls. As close to that fifties dusky pink as possible.

2. Red counter tops, white cabinets and pale yellow walls. Possibly checkerboard linoleum tiles in white and maybe gray? White and black seems too glaring, although with red counter tops, it seems a bit wussy to worry about the floor being too garish.

3. Sage green countertops, pale yellow walls, white cabinets, sage green (or gray) and beige checkerboard tiles? Maybe all green tile floor, depends on if I can find matching or coordinating colors for counter top and floor.

4. Something in teal blue or aqua for the counter tops, yellow walls, gray or white cabinets?

At the moment, it's roll linoleum in some sort of maybe tan/beige over a wooden floor. I could pull that and either leave the floor just as wood or probably those glue down solid linoleum tiles. Something with speckles in it, no doubt. Counter tops will be some sort of laminate. Do they still make that white with gold sparkles in it laminate anymore? Guess I'll go pop in at the local hardware and see what they stock.

What are the iconic 50's kitchen colors? Any "must haves" for a 50's kitchen?

The chrome rimmed dinette is still there along with apple/cherry curtains, although I don't know if there is un-fixable termite damage to the table or not. All the curtains are still in place, but they are all trashed from twenty years of sun. Still, they are good for reference, I suppose.

I was too scared to open the refrigerator during the walk-thru. I'm hoping it was cleaned out before the power was shut off, but it's hard to say. Pretty much everything is left in place. There's towels in the bathroom, beds in the bedrooms, dressers and some small tables. The living room is empty, though. There's a locked room below the house that probably has a washer and dryer in it. But, I think I'll start in the kitchen first since most folks will go in the kitchen door since it only has one or two steps up and the front door has a long flight of steps up. So, what should be done to restore the kitchen?

KEEP IT! They are coming back and trending right now! Check out the web site Retro Renovation.
You will receive LOTS of support and help there.

Retro Renovation - Remodeling, decor and home improvement for mid century and vintage homes

Old 09-03-2014, 04:12 AM

3,157 posts, read 3,215,259 times
It's a cute kitchen. I'd avoid the pink - I think that's going to be a big turn off to a lot of people, especially men. Maybe a light blue instead. With a cool black and white laminate floor. I'd ditch that table, though - yuck. You can buy retro tables pretty easily. Also, be very careful about keeping any furniture in the house - check it carefully for bugs (bed bugs, roaches, silverfish, etc.).

Old 09-03-2014, 04:19 AM

14,362 posts, read 19,739,699 times
gut the place and replace everything yes a complete overhaul sorry but this looks as if it had a depressive family living in it ...

Old 09-03-2014, 02:15 PM

2,885 posts, read 3,609,882 times
Well whatever you decide please post pics~~I love projects...

Old 09-03-2014, 04:51 PM

3,726 posts, read 4,587,594 times
At least keep that kitchen sink- it looks like at least 2 bowls and a good sized built in drain board. My mom still wishes she had the sink from the house they moved into before having my sister- brown, metal edge, kinda odd but she loved the drainboard. And strangely might have bathed me a time or two in the sink which is rather frightening.

There is a store in Rayburn, Georgia that refurbishes '50s appliances if you wan to google & look for fun. The fridge has an 80's look to me so toss it.

Also if the kitchen & dining area are adjacent can you replace the dining windows with French doors and close of the kitchen door to create more space for the fridge & maybe a small pantry or additional cabinet?

Also if it is mold issue #1 is getting reid of moisture before you seal anything in with new material or paint. After that Kilz primers are your friends. Have fun!

Old 09-03-2014, 07:52 PM

25,326 posts, read 16,297,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post

Sorry, I should have mentioned the Hawaii location, that's gonna make what's available entirely different than many places. No Ikea here, about all we have are Home Depot and Lowes along with Ace hardware. Well, there's custom places, too, but that's a bit over the top. Hmm, epoxy resin paint is interesting, though. Would that stand up as a counter top type of paint? Although their range of colors is dismal. The Big Chill line of appliances is nice, although I doubt we would buy one and ship it in from the mainland. Again, I should have mentioned the project location.

Yeah, I know about the "how could it be vintage" when it's stuff that we remember, Hemlock140. If the table is restorable, then I'd probably use the same new laminate on the table top as the kitchen counter tops and reupholster the chairs in a matching vinyl. I'm leaning towards the cheery red color, perhaps.

Hmm, those are interesting colors, silibran. Where would each color go? Pink counter tops, turquoise walls, yellow cabinets? Knotty pine would mean we'd be putting in either new cabinets or paneling and I think paint would keep us in more in line with what meager budget we have. Also, I'm not sure if we could get knotty pine here that was termite treated. There have been termites in this house, first thing is gonna be a termite tenting. Well, vacuum most of the mess up, tear out what's gonna be torn out and then termite treat the house. Then scrub everything down and paint and refinish.

Yeah, the red, white and black seems typical, although that seems more Metro 50's than we are here. I always think of red/white/black as New York City 50's somehow. Hmm, Turquoise, pink and yellow. Interesting. No red anywhere?
OK, I didn't meant to use all three colors together! I meant that those three colors were popular at different times in the 1950s. The yellow was probably popular toward the sixties, if my memory serves.

I would not use pink. But turquoise is great for kitchens of that time. Or green would be good too.

If I were doing a retro kitchen, frankly I'd use red, white and black. I'd put black and white tile on the floor, have white cabs, black Formica counters, and a red dinette set. However, in the kitchens of my childhood I cannot remember one kitchen decorated like that. The black, white and red scheme seems to be more of a Burger joint color scheme. However my grandmother owned a nice red dinette set, and I believe she accessorized with a few red things, and she owned red glass dishes. But I don't remember her actual kitchen being red.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or