U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 08:09 PM

12,595 posts, read 16,253,785 times

Advertisements

Keep it as close to 50's Hawaii as you can!! That is the post WW2 golden era and that would a true gem! I would LOVE to have a little place like that!

That's an area and era that may serve you well to keep it as accurate as possible! Cool!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2014, 08:23 PM

43,012 posts, read 95,017,558 times
Here's a great picture of a black and white checked floor, white cabinets, turquoise walls, and red accents:

http://0.tqn.com/d/homerenovations/1...iner-Style.JPG

Old 09-04-2014, 03:15 AM

10,292 posts, read 19,732,904 times
There might be a fix for the refrigerator corner, Ohiogirl81, although that might involve cutting a refrigerator sized hole in the exterior wall and framing in a shallow cubby for it. I could also have one of the kitchen cabinets open to the outside of the house. That would be handy if there were an entertainment area on the back porch. Not sure yet, but gotta mull it over some more. A vent in the wall behind the refrigerator would let it be more efficient and cool better, so I'll probably at least put in a vent, even if that's just the only thing.

Hmm, an exterior vent for the refrigerator coils, have the lower cabinet next to the refrigerator accessed from the outside and make an appliance barn on the counter top next to the refrigerator. That would make all the awkward space accessible and useful.

We are planning on keeping the sink, it's a great sink! Stainless steel will polish back up nicely, too. Probably try to rescue the stove, too, just 'cuz it's there already. I was just looking at the pictures to see how ugly and blocky looking it was and noticed there is a pan in the oven. I really hope it is empty!

There is no cabinet between the stove and the peninsula, just a board placed between the stove and the peninsula. If we are replacing the laminate in the kitchen, it will be easy enough to add in a shelf or extension to the counter top to fill in between the stove and the peninsula. Might make a narrow cabinet to put cookie sheets in.

Yup, Hopes, I'm planning on white appliances. SS just doesn't thrive in Hawaii and black shows even a hint of a fingerprint. Usually we get something around 22 cubic feet with the freezer on top and ice maker in the freezer since that's about the most energy efficient. We will see what's available once we get the rest of it cleaned up. I can always make up a more interesting handle out of something if we can't find a refrigerator that already has one.

I don't think we are going pink anymore, Snowball7. Looks like it's not popular. Yeah, the appliances aren't 50's although the house itself is. The house was built in '52, folks were living in it until about twenty years ago, so that would be up until about '95 or so. Which makes sense since that's when the local sugar industry died a sudden death and town withered. It's recovered amazingly well, but it's taken almost two decades to do it. I'm suspecting that might be why the house was left vacant, but I'll probably hear stories eventually. So, while folks were living it in, the appliances would have been replaced as they wore out but there probably isn't anything newer than early nineties in it.

We just had a hurricane strike this island, Chet, about two weeks ago. It was a hurricane right up until it hit the island and then fell apart. Hurricanes don't get on well with our mountains. Either that or our volcano goddess, Pele, doesn't like them, I'm not sure which. As far as seismic and hurricane resistance, it wouldn't assess well. However, hurricane clips are easy enough to install when we're doing the rest of the restoration / renovation. It's also stood up through a 6.7 magnitude earthquake from about eight or nine years ago. So, there's been hurricane and earthquakes and it's still standing. In '52, I don't think they had a building code, but, the house is still standing anyway. We will strengthen things as we go along, but there won't be an over all "hurricane" or "earthquake" type of strengthening program.

Yup, CSD610, that's pretty much the plan. Vacuum up everything, take out the rubbish, termite tent the whole enchilada and then reassess the structural bits while scrubbing down everything within reach and everything out of reach as well. We already know we will have to replace the ceilings, those were plywood and the termites have been feasting. Fortunately, everything else seems to have been redwood or something the termites weren't as fond of since the plywood ceiling seems to be about the only major failure. I wish they would have used canec ceiling tiles, termites don't eat that. I don't think there's a source for it anymore, either.

There aren't that many ocean views from the kitchen, those are mostly out the front of the house, Kayekaye. That picture is from the dirty living room windows. It might need a front lanai at some point, although there would be wind issues, no doubt.

Turquoise and bark cloth? Where would the barkcloth go? Curtains? Wall covering? We aren't quite sure yet if this will be somewhere we will be living or if it will be a rental. We may get it ready for rough "camping" and move in and fix it up while we live there (although I hate live-in renovations) so we would be able to rent out our existing house to cover the mortgage. It's gonna be a stretch until we get one or the other of them rented and the one we are living in would be able to be rented much faster. You can be a relative if you want to fly over and help!

"Retro" does seem to be trending, Sheena12, but with the internet you have to be careful about advice from specialty groups. There's probably a group out there passionate about decorating with purple polka dots, so one has to pick one's advisers carefully. Although the Retro Renovation website does have some good pictures and references. City Data forum has a pretty good cross section of sensible folks so it's a good source and probably better general advice on whether to do the whole retro thing or not. So far folks here have been more pro than con on keeping the kitchen at least semi-50's although it looks like the pink is out. Pink would have been fun, though, although I think folks are right about not actually doing it. I probably would have gotten tired of it myself after a bit, come to think of it. But it would have been fun. I'll just have to get some pink lawn flamingos, I guess.

I think you're right about no more pink, Mnseca. The blue might happen, I seem to be thinking turquoise today for some reason. The table would have to be totally restored before it could be used, that's certain. Was it's condition or it's style that you weren't fond of, though? I can fix the condition, but I can't really change it's style. Maybe on the mainland one can get retro tables easily, here they're pretty hard to find and expensive if you do find them. We are going to have the whole house tented for termites and that will kill any and all bugs in the house. With nobody living there for twenty years, I didn't see all that many bugs there.

Yeah, it does look pretty depressive, phonelady61, doesn't it? Well, it hasn't had anyone living in it for twenty years, that's probably why it's depressed. Cleaning and painting should cheer it up a whole lot. Just taking down those nasty curtains over the sink and cleaning the windows and letting the sunshine in will do a huge improvement. White painted cabinets, new paint, new curtains, all those are already on the list pretty much for certain. I think that's just the beginning of the list, though. But the sink stays, the windows will stay, probably the cabinets and the peninsula, too. All gotta be restored, though.

I'll find some pictures to post, WildCard~. There will be more once we actually get started. The house is still in the paperwork stage. Which gives me a lot of planning time and time to source materials.

Yup, keeping the sink, mrpeatie. I love the long drainboards and it is a double sink. We have a spare faucet somewhere around here in the big file cabinet full of plumbing stuff, so it will be an easy fix. Nope, can't close off the door, that's the main entry into the house. The front door involves a long stairway up that nobody will be using, I'm sure. So, we will put in a pretty small refrigerator 18 - 22 cubic feet or so and I'll probably work on making access to the cabinets on the far side of the refrigerator from someplace other than next to the refrigerator. With a single wall house, just frame in a small cabinet door on the outside of the house and then you've got access to the cabinets inside. I'd add in a partition between the inside and outside accessible parts, though, to keep down bugs and such. Also, with single wall, there's not much of anywhere to seal anything in. Once we scrub off the surface mold, there's nowhere else for the mold to be. Yeah, I like Kilz. We will use up buckets of that stuff. TSP scrub, followed by a layer or two of Kilz and then we should be good for the final coat. TSP, Kilz, Fix-All and Ospho are some of my basic fixer-upper potions.

Oh, ratz, SiliBran! Not all three together? Turquoise, pink and yellow would be interesting together. Although probably better as a birthday cake topping. Well, I am liking the turquoise option these days, at least some sort of blue maybe. I do have a full set of Willoware dishes that we haven't been using at this house because the blue & white color scheme just clashes with all the earth tones here, but maybe with the right shade of blue kitchen we can start using the willow ware again. Hmm, does turquoise go with the cobalt "flow blue" of willoware?

If I'm doing 50's Hawaii, Threerun, do I need Tiki's? Black "lava" statues and such? I'll ask the guys at the Knick-knackery in Honokaa, they'd know 50's Hawaii, they have a whole store full of it. I'm looking for something with a flavor of the era, I don't know if we want a true time capsule or not, though. After all, there weren't micro waves or air popcorn poppers then!

That's a lovely link, Hopes. It seems more of an aqua than a turquoise, but it is a lovely color, too.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:21 AM

2,885 posts, read 3,613,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
There might be a fix for the refrigerator corner, Ohiogirl81, although that might involve cutting a refrigerator sized hole in the exterior wall and framing in a shallow cubby for it. I could also have one of the kitchen cabinets open to the outside of the house. That would be handy if there were an entertainment area on the back porch. Not sure yet, but gotta mull it over some more. A vent in the wall behind the refrigerator would let it be more efficient and cool better, so I'll probably at least put in a vent, even if that's just the only thing.

Hmm, an exterior vent for the refrigerator coils, have the lower cabinet next to the refrigerator accessed from the outside and make an appliance barn on the counter top next to the refrigerator. That would make all the awkward space accessible and useful.

We are planning on keeping the sink, it's a great sink! Stainless steel will polish back up nicely, too. Probably try to rescue the stove, too, just 'cuz it's there already. I was just looking at the pictures to see how ugly and blocky looking it was and noticed there is a pan in the oven. I really hope it is empty!

There is no cabinet between the stove and the peninsula, just a board placed between the stove and the peninsula. If we are replacing the laminate in the kitchen, it will be easy enough to add in a shelf or extension to the counter top to fill in between the stove and the peninsula. Might make a narrow cabinet to put cookie sheets in.

Yup, Hopes, I'm planning on white appliances. SS just doesn't thrive in Hawaii and black shows even a hint of a fingerprint. Usually we get something around 22 cubic feet with the freezer on top and ice maker in the freezer since that's about the most energy efficient. We will see what's available once we get the rest of it cleaned up. I can always make up a more interesting handle out of something if we can't find a refrigerator that already has one.

I don't think we are going pink anymore, Snowball7. Looks like it's not popular. Yeah, the appliances aren't 50's although the house itself is. The house was built in '52, folks were living in it until about twenty years ago, so that would be up until about '95 or so. Which makes sense since that's when the local sugar industry died a sudden death and town withered. It's recovered amazingly well, but it's taken almost two decades to do it. I'm suspecting that might be why the house was left vacant, but I'll probably hear stories eventually. So, while folks were living it in, the appliances would have been replaced as they wore out but there probably isn't anything newer than early nineties in it.

We just had a hurricane strike this island, Chet, about two weeks ago. It was a hurricane right up until it hit the island and then fell apart. Hurricanes don't get on well with our mountains. Either that or our volcano goddess, Pele, doesn't like them, I'm not sure which. As far as seismic and hurricane resistance, it wouldn't assess well. However, hurricane clips are easy enough to install when we're doing the rest of the restoration / renovation. It's also stood up through a 6.7 magnitude earthquake from about eight or nine years ago. So, there's been hurricane and earthquakes and it's still standing. In '52, I don't think they had a building code, but, the house is still standing anyway. We will strengthen things as we go along, but there won't be an over all "hurricane" or "earthquake" type of strengthening program.

Yup, CSD610, that's pretty much the plan. Vacuum up everything, take out the rubbish, termite tent the whole enchilada and then reassess the structural bits while scrubbing down everything within reach and everything out of reach as well. We already know we will have to replace the ceilings, those were plywood and the termites have been feasting. Fortunately, everything else seems to have been redwood or something the termites weren't as fond of since the plywood ceiling seems to be about the only major failure. I wish they would have used canec ceiling tiles, termites don't eat that. I don't think there's a source for it anymore, either.

There aren't that many ocean views from the kitchen, those are mostly out the front of the house, Kayekaye. That picture is from the dirty living room windows. It might need a front lanai at some point, although there would be wind issues, no doubt.

Turquoise and bark cloth? Where would the barkcloth go? Curtains? Wall covering? We aren't quite sure yet if this will be somewhere we will be living or if it will be a rental. We may get it ready for rough "camping" and move in and fix it up while we live there (although I hate live-in renovations) so we would be able to rent out our existing house to cover the mortgage. It's gonna be a stretch until we get one or the other of them rented and the one we are living in would be able to be rented much faster. You can be a relative if you want to fly over and help!

"Retro" does seem to be trending, Sheena12, but with the internet you have to be careful about advice from specialty groups. There's probably a group out there passionate about decorating with purple polka dots, so one has to pick one's advisers carefully. Although the Retro Renovation website does have some good pictures and references. City Data forum has a pretty good cross section of sensible folks so it's a good source and probably better general advice on whether to do the whole retro thing or not. So far folks here have been more pro than con on keeping the kitchen at least semi-50's although it looks like the pink is out. Pink would have been fun, though, although I think folks are right about not actually doing it. I probably would have gotten tired of it myself after a bit, come to think of it. But it would have been fun. I'll just have to get some pink lawn flamingos, I guess.

I think you're right about no more pink, Mnseca. The blue might happen, I seem to be thinking turquoise today for some reason. The table would have to be totally restored before it could be used, that's certain. Was it's condition or it's style that you weren't fond of, though? I can fix the condition, but I can't really change it's style. Maybe on the mainland one can get retro tables easily, here they're pretty hard to find and expensive if you do find them. We are going to have the whole house tented for termites and that will kill any and all bugs in the house. With nobody living there for twenty years, I didn't see all that many bugs there.

Yeah, it does look pretty depressive, phonelady61, doesn't it? Well, it hasn't had anyone living in it for twenty years, that's probably why it's depressed. Cleaning and painting should cheer it up a whole lot. Just taking down those nasty curtains over the sink and cleaning the windows and letting the sunshine in will do a huge improvement. White painted cabinets, new paint, new curtains, all those are already on the list pretty much for certain. I think that's just the beginning of the list, though. But the sink stays, the windows will stay, probably the cabinets and the peninsula, too. All gotta be restored, though.

I'll find some pictures to post, WildCard~. There will be more once we actually get started. The house is still in the paperwork stage. Which gives me a lot of planning time and time to source materials.

Yup, keeping the sink, mrpeatie. I love the long drainboards and it is a double sink. We have a spare faucet somewhere around here in the big file cabinet full of plumbing stuff, so it will be an easy fix. Nope, can't close off the door, that's the main entry into the house. The front door involves a long stairway up that nobody will be using, I'm sure. So, we will put in a pretty small refrigerator 18 - 22 cubic feet or so and I'll probably work on making access to the cabinets on the far side of the refrigerator from someplace other than next to the refrigerator. With a single wall house, just frame in a small cabinet door on the outside of the house and then you've got access to the cabinets inside. I'd add in a partition between the inside and outside accessible parts, though, to keep down bugs and such. Also, with single wall, there's not much of anywhere to seal anything in. Once we scrub off the surface mold, there's nowhere else for the mold to be. Yeah, I like Kilz. We will use up buckets of that stuff. TSP scrub, followed by a layer or two of Kilz and then we should be good for the final coat. TSP, Kilz, Fix-All and Ospho are some of my basic fixer-upper potions.

Oh, ratz, SiliBran! Not all three together? Turquoise, pink and yellow would be interesting together. Although probably better as a birthday cake topping. Well, I am liking the turquoise option these days, at least some sort of blue maybe. I do have a full set of Willoware dishes that we haven't been using at this house because the blue & white color scheme just clashes with all the earth tones here, but maybe with the right shade of blue kitchen we can start using the willow ware again. Hmm, does turquoise go with the cobalt "flow blue" of willoware?

If I'm doing 50's Hawaii, Threerun, do I need Tiki's? Black "lava" statues and such? I'll ask the guys at the Knick-knackery in Honokaa, they'd know 50's Hawaii, they have a whole store full of it. I'm looking for something with a flavor of the era, I don't know if we want a true time capsule or not, though. After all, there weren't micro waves or air popcorn poppers then!

That's a lovely link, Hopes. It seems more of an aqua than a turquoise, but it is a lovely color, too.
Sweet~ I look forward~~ Thank you...Really!...

Old 09-04-2014, 11:40 AM

3,403 posts, read 4,723,873 times
Barkcloth for the curtains, placemats or table runner, napkins, drapes, pillows on a one color couch, shower curtain, will go nicely with island retro. I would't put it on the wall, the pattern repeat doesn't work as well as wallpaper, it's made to drape and be hidden in folds. I wouldn't go too far with the tiki lounge look either, that can old fast. But a touch of Hawaiiana is a great style, but you might be sick of it living there. That store sounds fantastic. If you do keep the table then a red barkcloth would be nice with white. I've seen how much white is used in Hawaii and I love that. Don't even get me started on those plastic pink flamingos, love that!

Hiwahiwa - Barkcloth Hawaii - Timeless Hawaiian Fabrics For your Home & Body Tropical Botanical Vintage Hawaiian Fabric - hibiscus, plumeria (frangipani), torch ginger and leaves. on a soft aqua cotton apparel fabric.

That view is great! If I were ten years younger I would be on a plane to help!

Old 09-04-2014, 04:17 PM

25,370 posts, read 16,340,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
Barkcloth for the curtains, placemats or table runner, napkins, drapes, pillows on a one color couch, shower curtain, will go nicely with island retro. I would't put it on the wall, the pattern repeat doesn't work as well as wallpaper, it's made to drape and be hidden in folds. I wouldn't go too far with the tiki lounge look either, that can old fast. But a touch of Hawaiiana is a great style, but you might be sick of it living there. That store sounds fantastic. If you do keep the table then a red barkcloth would be nice with white. I've seen how much white is used in Hawaii and I love that. Don't even get me started on those plastic pink flamingos, love that!

Hiwahiwa - Barkcloth Hawaii - Timeless Hawaiian Fabrics For your Home & Body Tropical Botanical Vintage Hawaiian Fabric - hibiscus, plumeria (frangipani), torch ginger and leaves. on a soft aqua cotton apparel fabric.

That view is great! If I were ten years younger I would be on a plane to help!
I agree with using Barkcloth. Good stuff and very retro. Not sure if it is budget friendly for a rental though.

Old 09-04-2014, 08:05 PM

3,403 posts, read 4,723,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I agree with using Barkcloth. Good stuff and very retro. Not sure if it is budget friendly for a rental though.
That's true. But I got mine at the Aloha stadium swap meet on Oahu and it was quite reasonable. Not sure which island you are on hotzcatz but your location references the Moku Nui island so Oahu?

Old 09-05-2014, 02:36 AM

10,292 posts, read 19,732,904 times
Moku Nui is Hawaiian for "Big Island" since I'm on the Island of Hawaii which we all call the "Big Island" so we don't confuse ourselves with the state's name.

Here's my source for bark cloth fabrics: Discount Fabrics Hilo They are about a quarter acre of fabrics and so many aloha prints that your eyes get full and you have to take a break. There's a whole isle of bark cloth. Next time you visit Hilo, drop in for an hour or so. They are the very yellow building with a big red stripe right before you get to Prince Kuhio Shopping Center. If you've made it to Hilo Hattie's go back a block. They also sell online, should you need any Aloha print fabrics. They have some nice Asian themed fabric, quilting fabric and batiks, too. As well as some upholstery fabrics.

After a chat with the banker today it was discovered that if we are living in the house when we apply for the mortgage then we can get a much better interest rate on a 30 year fixed so it looks like we will be moving into the house. If we get all happy there, and it's quite likely we could, then we'd stay there. We are currently living in a house about five or six blocks away so going back and forth between the houses won't take long at all. The "new" house has a better ocean view although they both have ocean views. The new one is closer to town - it's almost in the middle of town but "main street" is about a ten minute walk so we'd be in easy to walk-to-town distance instead of our current almost-able-to-walk-to-town distance (half hour walk). Not that town is all that big but it has a cute main street and an old vintage theater which still shows movies. Little boutiques, grocery, hardware, restaurants, banks, all the stuff you need in a little town and not a big box store in sight.

The new house is close to the high school, so it will be noisy during football games and traffic may be an issue when there's a big event at school. But, that's where my DH teaches, so he can walk to work and walk home for lunch. The new house is a half block from the swimming pool and library, though, so that's a huge plus. So, both houses are of a similar size, both are "vintage" although the one we are currently in is a '72 vintage instead of '52, both are on cul-de-sacs, both are in good neighborhoods. The house we are in has mature fruit trees, but there's bananas and I think a mature mac nut tree in the back of the new house, although the back is so overgrown we've not been able to look yet but they show up on Google Earth. We've only lived in this house for three years so most of my gardens aren't all that established. The tangerine and avocado here are mature, but they are not trees I would have planted. I dunno, it's hard to decide which one I'd prefer to live in once the new one gets fixed up. The new house has a much bigger yard, that could be good. Slightly less dense neighborhood, but not by a lot. Well, anyway, don't have to decide now - back to the 1950's kitchen restoration!

I went into town today to see what was available. Laminate sure doesn't seem to come in very many happy colors anymore, does it? I did find one that might work, it's Wilsonart's "Sea Glass" #4900K-01. It has an aqua look to it when you get a large sample of it. A green tinged aqua, but a nice soft greenish blue. Very close to the 50's aqua. It's a glossy finish. With that on the counter tops and table top, the cabinets could be a glossy white. Stark raving glossy white. Possibly a pale yellow on the walls, although perhaps a medium teal if it was the exact right teal could be made to work. Maybe a warm golden beige would work better, though, there's tones of that in the Sea Glass. Shiny copper would go with Sea Glass so maybe accents of copper somewhere.

Not sure about the floor yet, though. At Home DePot, they have basic glue down solid vinyl tiles for well less than a dollar each. These are the same type of tile you see in places like grocery store floors and such. Waxed to be shiny. We have dogs that go in and out, though, so white on the floor isn't a good thing. However, the only colors they seem to stock are off white, beige, darker beige and beige with slightly different colored flecks in it. Not a lot of choices at all! But I suppose at eighty seven cents a tile, who's complaining? So I went to flooring store and they had the same brand and type of tile, but they wanted $3 per tile! I can get the colors I want at three times the price. Humbug! So, still sourcing the floor tiles. If the floor was pale beige (eighty seven cents a tile from Home DePot) and interspersed with the $3 per tile green tiles, that would bring the overall cost down. But, that was just the first flooring store I looked at.

I'm not sure if it's staying close to a '50's theme anymore, it might be doing a tropical Hawaiian '50's, though. Aqua, white, golden beige and green/beige checkerboard floor tiles, is that fifties enough? Bark cloth curtains in some tropical floral print with matching tones of some sort. It would be hard to say exactly which fabric until at the fabric store. They have so many fabrics that aren't in their online store.

Our banker also said he thought we could close in thirty days instead of forty five so we may have the house two weeks earlier than I thought! It would be good to get a game plan in place so when things go nuts we will know which way to go. Decisions made on the fly aren't always the best ones.

Old 09-05-2014, 03:29 AM

15,678 posts, read 14,164,843 times
When I was growing up, our 50's kitchen had a dark red linoleum floor, red kitchen table and chairs with black iron legs, gray walls and cabinets, white appliances.

Had a 4-5 inch wide strip of wallpaper going around the top of the walls, about 8 inches below the ceiling.

The strip had white, red and black in it, can't remember the design, ditto for the curtains, some type of print with red, white and black in it.

The counter tops were a gray Formica with a marbled look.

There was a 1 inch wide white stripe going around the edge of the floor, about 12 inches from the walls.

Old 09-05-2014, 04:24 AM

5,650 posts, read 5,211,388 times
A rental with a pink kitchen? I'd rent it in a heartbeat!!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or