U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 01:43 PM

3,333 posts, read 2,994,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
I'll keep that in mind, Hopes, when putting up the ceiling tiles. I was thinking different tiles for different rooms would make more of a differentiation between the spaces. Some of the tile patterns have a larger and a smaller version. We could use one of those, perhaps? Put the big version in the larger spaces and the smaller version in the smaller spaces?

The whole house is about 1,000 square feet and it has three bedrooms and one bath. The kitchen has an eat in dining area so no separate dining room. It's basically the kitchen, living room, hallway, three bedrooms, one bath and closets in the bedrooms and bath. I don't think I saw any hall closets.

Google walking is always fun, Kayekaye. Although in Google land, the neighbors house is a bleah light blue. It is now a dark brown with green trim and they have some more landscaping. Google shows bigger ti plants in front of our house, apparently, they trimmed them way back to sell it. Not that it matters, ti grows pretty quick. There are a lot of areas that Google hasn't gone and yet our street where we live now has been Googled twice already.

I don't know why they would have left, jessxwrites89. If it had merely been twenty years ago, then I would have thought it to be connected to the demise of the sugar industry in this area. However, that was only twenty years ago and they were supposed to have left twenty seven years ago. So that was a long time before sugar left. What was happening in 1987 that would be a reason for folks to leave this area? That's also a long time to pay taxes on a house and not live in it. But it's also a long time for a structure to stand empty and not be vandalized. I'm taking the lack of vandals in that long of a time frame to be an excellent neighborhood reference. I've asked a couple folks who live in the area and they really like it there.

I asked one of the guys at the Knick-Knackery and he showed me some advertisements from the 40's. Nice rounded shapes, sort of darker colors is what was in the advertisement.
Hmm... that is interesting. Sad, but interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2014, 03:40 PM

10,306 posts, read 19,751,637 times
Well, we are still waiting to close on the house, although there has been progress. We now have a closing date of October 17th! Woot!

Apparently, the person who lived in the house moved to another island, I think because of a job transfer, and intended on coming back. Which is why the house was left semi-furnished. I'll hear more details after awhile, folks always like to chat about local history.

I'm thinking the most limiting choice will be in counter top laminate color so picking that first will probably be how the color choices will be determined. Paint can be mixed to match anything so that will be the last.

It occurred to me that what with the new color scheme in the new kitchen, we will be able to switch back to our willow ware dishes. Those old "flow" blue and white dishes that everyone's familiar with. The ones with the Chinese scene of willow trees, the bridge and the two kissing birds at the top. So, we can make the kitchen retro with colors that complement willow ware dishes. Our current kitchen is all natural woodland colors and the blue willow ware just didn't go with the kitchen at all so we'd switched to a different set of dishes. We can leave those here in this house for the renters and go back to using the willow ware. I think there's enough willow ware to seat 24 plus two hostess sets along with another set of 16 with two hostess sets of another pattern but the same blue and white colors. It's Wedgwood's "Friendship Salem" pattern and inter mixes with willow ware pretty well. There should be enough decorative tureens and such that we can put some of them out on the end shelves of the kitchen for functional decoration.

As far as I can figure it is impossible to match the blue on the dishes with any of the laminate colors. The dishes themselves don't always have matching blue colors, so I'm not even going to try to match the blue. Most of the willow ware we have is the reproductions made by Churchill, although we have some original pieces as well as some made in Occupied Japan, both of which have slightly different shades of blue. The Wedgewood Friendship Salem are pretty close to the Churchill repro willow ware blue color.

Currently, I'm thinking light icy yellow for the walls or a light icy mint color. Some sort of very pale but vibrant color. "Bright, but light and airy" is kinda the direction I'm thinking. Hmm, possibly a pale to maybe medium teal? Nope, teal would clash with the dishes. So, some sort of yellow or white or possibly even back to the original pink, but it would have to be a very light and very clear pink. Most likely yellow or green of some sort. Hmm, a deep dark blood red for the walls? There's not a lot of wall paint, so maybe they could be a dark red if the cabinets were white enough to offset it?

Shiny stoneware white for the cupboards and trim around the doors and windows. I keep coming back to some sort of stark white for the cabinets and trim. There's a lot of cabinets and putting color on them would possibly overwhelm the whole space. (Like blood red wouldn't?) Kilz white followed by Bahr Ultra Pure white that sort of has that blue tinge to it might be too bright, but we can start with a layer of Kilz.

The floor could be some sort of checkerboard of some sort of two lighter colors that would hopefully not show much dirt. Vinyl composite tile speckly gray and speckly beige? With those as possible back ground colors and the dishes being willow ware, what color would the laminate counter tops be?

Solid really red counter tops, yellow walls and blue dishes could cover all the primary colors, but red counter tops would be a bit dramatic, don't you think? Any sort of blue counter top would be impossible to match to the blue dishes since their blue changes from one dish to the next. So, that leaves yellows, greens, grays, etc. Green counter tops and yellow walls or yellow counter tops and green walls? Some sort of beige to match the floor tiles? Stark white counter tops would probably be hard to keep clean.

Shiny counter tops apparently show fingerprints? So a matt color?

I did take a willow ware lid from a serving dish along with all the assorted laminate color chips I had into quilting yesterday to see what color combos they'd come up with. One of the nicer ones was a mottled blue/black (Wilsonart "Mystique Marine") counter top with yellow walls (we only had laminate color chips to play with so she chose Wilsonart "Sunshine" and then white cabinets. I guess I should get some paint sample cards as well as more laminate color chips and drag them all back to quilting group. Those folks are always choosing colors to go with each other. Of course, some of their quilts are a bit bright, but they do have experience in picking colors.

Last edited by hotzcatz; 10-09-2014 at 03:55 PM..

Old 10-09-2014, 08:15 PM

33,089 posts, read 61,973,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Solid really red counter tops, yellow walls and blue dishes could cover all the primary colors, but red counter tops would be a bit dramatic, don't you think? Any sort of blue counter top would be impossible to match to the blue dishes since their blue changes from one dish to the next. So, that leaves yellows, greens, grays, etc. Green counter tops and yellow walls or yellow counter tops and green walls? Some sort of beige to match the floor tiles? Stark white counter tops would probably be hard to keep clean.
What about a pearl or medium grey, either solid or marble-y? Grey on the counters and the floor would contrast nicely with the yellow walls, and play up the blue in your dishes.

Old 12-20-2014, 04:48 AM

10,306 posts, read 19,751,637 times

This is still a "before" picture, all that has happened is it's been scrubbed and it has a new faucet. These are the colors that it had in 1987, although at some earlier time it had a mint green phase as well as the dusty pink phase.

The existing refrigerator is still in the picture, it will be replaced next Wednesday. Christmas eve and the appliance folks will deliver! How amazing is that? It will be a similar sized white refrigerator. 24 cubic feet, freezer on top and ice maker in the freezer. Energy Star, too, so it won't be expensive to run. That's important in Hawaii. I'm thinking of removing a few cabinets to the side of the refrigerator and then swinging it around so it is in line with the cabinets. Right now, it's difficult to get to the cabinets in the corner so by taking them out and putting the refrigerator there, no more problem of getting into corner cabinets.

The ceilings throughout the house have been removed, it looks like quarter inch plywood will be the new replacement ceiling. Probably painted some shade of white or an extreme light color of whatever the room. Weight and cost have pretty much made the choice for us. There's still quite a few things to do before getting to the ceiling, though. We did get it termite tented, so the termites should be gone. It was only $1,200 for the termite treatment, so we will probably have it done again in about three to five years then on a five to six year schedule. Plywood ceilings will probably last longer if there aren't any termites anymore.

There was a covered in area above the cabinets which has had the plywood covering removed. I think there will be doors in front of that area now so we will be able to use it. Should we put in doors or leave the area open? I'm thinking doors or maybe curtains?

I think we will keep the stove, it will probably be fixable. I couldn't find any Wedgewoods, Chambers or O'Keefe & Merrits or any comparable vintage stoves around here. There's some in California, but they're a tad bit expensive even before adding in shipping. There aren't any gas ovens available anymore with a pilot light in the oven, so it looks like vintage is the way to go if possible. It's really handy to have a warm oven to keep chips crisp in. Hawaii's humidity will do in a bag of potato chips within hours after they've been opened but they will stay crisp in an oven with a pilot light. So, since we have one there already, guess we will just try to fix it before looking for a replacement.

There's a new hood to replace the existing dark square boxy one. I like the "vintage" idea of the existing hood, but it's too big and boxy to be attractive. Oh well! The new hood is sitting there on the stove so it will be white.

I'm thinking the yellow Formica will remain on the counters for awhile. It turns out it's a dark sunny yellow with a marbleized pattern. Kinda interesting. Much better than any currently available color in Formica, anyway. So, some sort of pale yellow for the walls? Or they could be pale green or teal? Shiny white trim around the windows and not sure about cabinet colors? I think keeping the yellow Formica counter and white trim are about the only probable color choices made so far. If the walls stay yellow, then the cabinets might stay that peachy tan color. If the walls are a sage green or light dusky teal, then white cabinets might be in order.

Still not sure what's under the roll vinyl on the floor. I've been too busy to look under there. It's a T & G wood floor, same type of wood as the rest of the house. Hawaii houses of this era didn't have sub-floors. It's floor joists and then the T & G planks installed on the joists are the flooring. But there's still quite a few things to do before the floor becomes something to figure out.

So, we got the keys to the house at the tail end of October. The pipes had rusted solid, so they had to be replaced from the water meter box on the street all the way on up. Still not quite complete yet, we are hoping to get a hot water solar system. Currently, cold water gets to the kitchen sink, the lower shower and one toilet is fully functional. We are hoping for hot water soon. In any case, I've been scrubbing the walls and windows. Clean windows sure do improve things, although you can tell where they've been cleaned and where they haven't.

Also, important, some of the drains are fuctional. The toilet on the lower floor is fully functional. Water goes in and it drains! Yay! The old laundry sink drain is clogged solid as well as the upstairs shower drain so there's still drain work to be done. But part of it works at least.

Our electrician replaced the electrical meter box and the circuit breaker box and one circuit has been replaced so far. Which means we have six outlets (two upstairs, four under the house) and one light working at the moment. Which also means the electric company put in a new service drop. Yay! That happened the day before yesterday. Vacuuming is a big improvement, too!

We've found termite damage here and there pretty much throughout, but it can all be fixed. There are several spots in the roof which leak, but it's mostly from around the nails holding the metal roof down. The roofing itself is aluminum and in pretty good shape, so that's good.

So, we're still at the getting the utilities fully functioning as well as the cleaning stage.

After getting the kitchen colors figured out, there will then be the problem of figuring out what to do with the wall between the kitchen and living room. At one point, there were doors between the kitchen and the living room as well as the kitchen and the hallway. Guess folks wanted to be able to entirely shut off the kitchen for some reason. I'm not sure how much of the wall between the kitchen and the living room should be removed. Folks look at it and keep trying to remove it, but one big open space probably isn't the best way to have a kitchen and living room, is it?

Last edited by hotzcatz; 12-20-2014 at 05:06 AM..

Old 12-20-2014, 06:17 PM

2,885 posts, read 3,616,968 times
Sweet~ please keep posting your updates, looking forward! ~~ Thanks

Old 12-22-2014, 08:02 AM

4,881 posts, read 5,081,104 times
Hotzcatz, just wanted to give you a thumbs up for taking a neglected home and restoring it. I admire
your dedication and in the end, you will have a lovely home and in a beautiful location.
I do understand the quandary about the vintage stoves. They have become popular and I have
noticed that most of them are being restored and sold in California and Arizona....and they are
expensive. Those ovens/stoves were made to last. I would love to have one and there maybe some
senior appliance repair men left somewhere who did that for a living but the problem is trying to find
one plus a stove as well.

Old 12-22-2014, 10:33 AM

20,521 posts, read 27,042,834 times
It looks better already. Congratulations and good luck with all the work.

Old 12-22-2014, 12:51 PM

3,406 posts, read 4,728,983 times
Wow lots of work, it's going to be great!

Old 12-23-2014, 06:32 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,822,947 times
I'm really hoping you'll paint the cabinets white; they really, really need to be white

Old 12-26-2014, 01:37 AM

14,146 posts, read 26,201,826 times
Take a look at Big Chill appliances in any color you want. Very retro!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or