U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2014, 04:01 AM

4 posts, read 3,501 times

Advertisements

You can repaint it by keeping retro look & add some interior designs which help to keep the retro look
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2014, 12:50 PM

10,284 posts, read 19,722,248 times

This is the "before" picture, it was taken when we were doing the first "walk through" before we bought the house. That's the refrigerator that came with the house and it is from '87 or before. The cabinets alongside and above it are impossible to reach. Nothing had been officially figured out, but I thought perhaps the refrigerator would be turned so it aligned with the run of cabinets and remove some cabinets to make room for it. Cabinets that can't be reached aren't useful so by removing them and putting the refrigerator in line with the cabinets, that might have been an answer.

Then, as my darling husband says, we fell prey to the "BA refrigerator syndrome". We were just at Home Depot looking at nail guns. It was a couple days before Christmas and a nail gun for a Christmas present would solve several problems. What to get someone who has about every tool known to man or God and something to help the restoration along.

We weren't really shopping for a refrigerator at all but we thought we'd look at them anyway. Most of the refrigerators were stainless steel. Like around 90% of them. Ick! There were a few black ones - Double Ick! Both of those are impossible to keep fingerprints off of. So there were very few selections of white refrigerators or any color other than stainless steel or black. I might have liked a cream colored one, perhaps, but they weren't an option. There was one white one which had a dent in the lower corner sitting off by itself. Kinda like Charlie Brown's Christmas tree. It didn't have a price on it yet, either. I guess they had just brought it out of the warehouse or something. It fit the parameters of the refrigerator we were looking for. White, freezer on top, ice maker in the freezer, Energy Star and between 18 and 24 cubic feet. It is at the large end of the scale at 24 cubic feet, but we chose that as the large end of the scale because of the cost of running the refrigerator, not because of the amount of size we had to put it in. Electricity in Hawaii is very expensive.

The original retail price was $1,400. However, there's was a discount for the damage, a discount because it's a discontinued model, a discount because it's a Christmas sale, a discount because it's over a certain price and I think there was another discount in there for some other reason, too. By the time it was all subtracted, the price was reduced to $580. Woot! Which was over the minimum price necessary for free delivery. Yay! And, there is a $100 rebate if an old non-Energy Star refrigerator is turned in. So, they will deliver and remove the old refrigerator and we get a $100? That brings the whole cost of the new refrigerator to $480. Yee gawds and little fishes! Well, what's not to like about this? So, on Christmas Eve, our new refrigerator was delivered. (They deliver on Christmas Eve!?)

What we didn't do was measure it. Ack!

The kitchen door was removed as well as a bit of the doorway trim and it just barely made it in the kitchen door. But it sure didn't fit where the other refrigerator had been. Ack! The only place that had enough room for it was where the stove had been. So, we swapped the stove and refrigerator locations and that is a huge improvement!

The stove fits behind the kitchen door much better than the refrigerator had. If drafts become a problem, I'll put in a metal screen, but we will try it for awhile and see how it works. The cabinets that were unreachable are now reachable! Woot! Problem solved and no cabinets were harmed.

The existing cabinet doors were moved up and the lower shelf was removed to make room for the new refrigerator, so I guess we lost one cabinet shelf. But it was replaced by the upper shelf in that area that had been completely closed off before. The refrigerator still looms a bit and is still too large to fit in comfortably. However, it's backed up against a bedroom wall. So, I'll cut a hole in the wall and make a refrigerator cubby so then the face of the refrigerator will be in line with the lower cabinets. In the bedroom, the cubby will be a vertical column about 10" to 16" deep and about three to four feet wide. I'll make a cupboard above it and a built in bookshelf alongside it so it will blend in better. At least, that's the plan for now, we will see what actually happens.

Last edited by hotzcatz; 12-28-2014 at 01:03 PM..

Old 12-28-2014, 01:15 PM

14,183 posts, read 15,239,256 times
looks like it will be awesome!

Old 12-28-2014, 10:03 PM

3,403 posts, read 4,720,850 times
What a great Kalikimaka present to yourselves! Sounds great.

I like playing "where's the pineapple" in a couple of the pictures too, maybe that could be constant feature?

Old 12-29-2014, 10:15 AM

21,981 posts, read 13,008,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
The existing cabinet doors were moved up and the lower shelf was removed to make room for the new refrigerator, so I guess we lost one cabinet shelf. But it was replaced by the upper shelf in that area that had been completely closed off before. The refrigerator still looms a bit and is still too large to fit in comfortably. However, it's backed up against a bedroom wall. So, I'll cut a hole in the wall and make a refrigerator cubby so then the face of the refrigerator will be in line with the lower cabinets. In the bedroom, the cubby will be a vertical column about 10" to 16" deep and about three to four feet wide. I'll make a cupboard above it and a built in bookshelf alongside it so it will blend in better. At least, that's the plan for now, we will see what actually happens.

Don't go too far back! The front of the fridge door should not be flush with the counter, because you need to have the clearance to open the door.

Old 12-30-2014, 01:24 AM

Oh, that pineapple is a cast iron door stop, although it does look almost like a real pineapple in the pictures, doesn't it? "Pineapple" is about what the color of the Formica is, too! Maybe it should be a tropical pineapple themed kitchen? Hmm, well, maybe not, that could get a bit overboard pretty quickly. A few fun pineapples here and there would be good, though.

I'd planned on cutting the hole in the wall and then setting the refrigerator back into it to see how deep it should be. The door does need about 3/4" clearance when swinging out at 90 degrees, even more if it swings wider. So, if I start out with a hole and then set the refrigerator into it, all these clearances will become obvious, I hope. There's supposed to be 2" on either side, I think, plus I may put a vent into the back bedroom to either direct the waste heat into the room or vent it down under the house instead, depending on the season. Not that they make all that much waste heat, not like the pilot light in the oven.

Now that the stove is on an outside wall, we will be able to put a stove vent that vents through the wall. Those are more effective, I think, than the ones that vent back into the room.

I did peel up a corner of that sheet vinyl flooring. There's no other flooring below that except for the T & G wood floor. However, it's got all kinds of glue mess on it, so I don't see that it could be made into a varnished wood floor. For now, the existing flooring can remain, but at some point it will probably be replaced with either more sheet vinyl, linoleum or solid vinyl tiles. Those cheap speckly tiles that need occasional waxing but are solid composite vinyl all the way through.

Didn't get much work done on the house today, although I did break out the Fix-All and patch up a few holes. It's gonna take a lot of Fix-All to patch up all those holes, but at least Fix-All isn't that expensive.

Old 12-30-2014, 08:48 AM

8 posts, read 7,429 times
Hi!
For me it will be better if you paint your kitchen with pastel colours like soft green, yellow... and painting the wall with the opposite colour. If I were you I would paint the kitchen with soft yellow and the wall with soft pink. I would use retro appliances to give a '50 style. I don't like very much the floor because it looks like ruined and dirty. I would use plain wood making crisscross. For the living room you can clean the chairs and the table because they are so beautiful.

Old 12-30-2014, 09:00 PM

3,403 posts, read 4,720,850 times
It does look like a real pineapple, I was wondering why it was on the floor LOL.

Sounds like a good idea to bump the fridge into the other room. You could do shelving or cabinets on the sides of the fridge in the other room to flush the bump out.

Old 01-02-2015, 02:46 AM

12,554 posts, read 7,618,032 times
I would paint those cabinets inside and out (hard work, but worth it), new vinyl flooring, new laminate counters (maybe a retro design) nicer curtains or blinds and probably set of those new low cost retro appliances. I think that kitchen can look good for very little money...I didn't think so when I first saw it.

Old 01-07-2015, 12:42 PM

Well, yesterday I actually went to the hardware store to get paint. However, they didn't have anyone working in the paint department so I just got more paint chips instead. Which is a good thing, since the colors I would have gotten got the comment of "pretty drab, aren't they" from my DH when I showed him the color chips. Sigh! Guess I'll brighten them up a bit.

So, now there's a whole different set of considerations for picking the color from what we had at the beginning. DH is asking for a bright clean look, so nothing too drab. Although, not too shiny bright, that would get real tiring real quick.

I now also have a bolt of fabric for the living room drapes, so that can be factored in, too.

Using the colors of the fabric, there's the overall beige/tan color, a darker tan, the light pink, the darker pink, the lighter green and darker green colors to work with. Also a sort of greenish gold color. Any way to use those colors and blend them in with the pineapple yellow counter tops and blue willow dishes? I probably need to take the bolt of fabric over to the counter tops and see how well the colors play with each other.

So, we have the original 50's pink theme which would actually go with the fabric although the kitchen curtains won't be made of this fabric. Although there's the yellow Formica, so I dunno if pink will work. We have the pineapple theme as well as the pineapple colored Formica laminate counter tops. The laminate will remain for awhile (probably several years), but I don't know if it will be permanent. I don't know if the fabric goes well with the pineapple counter tops.

Another consideration is the view planes from the front door and the kitchen door. When coming in the kitchen door, you can see the kitchen as well as into the middle bedroom. From the front door, you can see the living room and into the kitchen as well as the hallway from both doors. So the colors of the kitchen need to coordinate with the middle bedroom & hallway and the colors of the living room need to be coordinated with the kitchen and hallway.

The lighter green color from the fabric could be used for the kitchen walls and it would blend, perhaps, with the pineapple yellow counter tops. The green is similar to a pineapple top green. Green would be more mellow to live with than the current yellow kitchen walls, too. Possibly a very, very pale matching green for trim? Or off white? Bright shiny white, perhaps, for the "pop".

The darker tan for the living room walls as well as perhaps the lower cabinets in the kitchen? Although, I've always kinda thought of white for the cabinets, but maybe the white or very light trim around the windows, ceiling and floor trim will be enough lighter color. Having the lower cabinets the same color as the living room (although possibly a semi-gloss instead of eggshell) would tie the kitchen into the living room without having them match. Perhaps the lighter tan for the upper kitchen cabinets and also the hallway? Again, with different finishes on the paint.

Hmm, possibly the lighter tan for the living room and the darker tan for the hallway or middle bedroom. The living room does get more light than the middle bedroom but bedrooms don't need as much light. We will probably use the middle bedroom as either a library or a guest room, though.

Bright light tan living room, light sage green kitchen, darker tan hallway. Darker sage green for the library? Add in pale green and pink accents here and there? Guess we aren't matching the blue willow ware dishes anywhere. The blue dishes go well with the current yellow kitchen.

Maybe I need different fabric for living room curtains? Sigh! Who would guess colors could be so complicated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or