U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2015, 01:22 AM

10,279 posts, read 19,719,595 times

Advertisements

Well, those are the color chips that were picked up at the hardware store a day or so ago. They are on the "pineapple" Formica, although I did forget the fabric scrap.

The odd sized chips are paint strips from the bedrooms. One shade of blue matches the front bedroom pretty exactly, although the end bedrooms can't be seen from either the kitchen or living room, so their colors aren't all that fussy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2015, 07:39 AM

28,449 posts, read 73,398,566 times
Default If you are committed to the countertop...

...the odds of anything but the most neutral of the colors chips "fighting" with it are too great to ignore. A nice warm background of paint that makes the place look clean / fresh will allow the countertop to "pop" as an isolated element instead of getting lost as yet another colorful eye-catcher...

Don't go overly saturated either -- in a kitchen "saturated" colors visually shrink the space becuase the cabinets and appliances interrupt the flow. In a room with more continous wall area the uninterrupted space allows the saturated colors to tie things together. Check out the various sample sites from the paint companies on-line -- changing the colors can make a room seem to expand or contract,

Old 01-09-2015, 09:59 PM

3,403 posts, read 4,719,617 times
The blues look good and go with the pineapple countertop. White would work best with it, but I am partial to white walls in Hawaii. Don't know why but I love it. Looking out the windows can look like pictures then if you have some nice scenery or gardening. Don't know about the pink, it looks mauve...

Old 01-09-2015, 10:18 PM

36,769 posts, read 11,460,100 times
I think what you have is a house with "good bones," and I like the idea of what they're now calling retro. You have a great, mid-century home to work with.

It has no "updates," but it doesn't have any shoddy updates, either!

Old 01-11-2015, 10:25 AM

69 posts, read 92,905 times
I like the robin egg sort of aqua-blue above the pink. I think it goes nicely with the pineapple Formica. I'd check out a more pale version of it though.
I would use that on the walls AND inside the cabinets/shelves then paint the cabinet doors and outer frames white. Painting the inside will be a fun detail and keep the space together visually whenever a cabinet door is opened.

Personally I think a sort of more pale tropical colour, like the aqua, is very important to make the kitchen retro in a cool way. Using a neutral colour, as some suggested, will only make the pineapple stand out in a bad way and as if you were trying to ignore the "outdated" stuff rather than embracing it as a fun and pretty design. My mum made that kind of common mistake in the house I grew up in, with expanses of a similar yellow Formica counter. Everyone knew she just hated it but couldn't "update." I've seen it in other houses too, when people are afraid of colour to enhance what they have. It just makes the disliked colour pop aggressively.

I also think you could get away with a sort of lime-sherbet green or yellow. I wouldn't want so much yellow, but you technically could. If you want a shade of red then it would also need to be the sherbet kind of pinkish red. All of this with with cabinets, of course.

Old 02-02-2015, 02:17 AM

Still haven't bought any paint yet. Sigh! I swear this has been the most difficult paint pick, ever.

However, there's still a lot to do before painting, anyway. Loads of Fix-All to be pushed into cracks and crevices. Lots of termite damage has been repaired by vacuuming out the termite droppings and then smushing Fix-All into the hole. If it's a non-structural sort of thing, then it's good.

Earlier we had "BA Refrigerator Syndrome" when we ended up getting a frickin' HUGE refrigerator. It really didn't look all that big at Home DePot, but they are a hugenourmous store and it's hard to see what size things really are when they are sitting in the middle of somewhere that large. Switching the stove/ refrig locations did a lot to fix the too big fridge, but it was still looming and huge.

So, today it was set about 10" back into the wall. It still is huge but it doesn't loom quite as much. Now it's most annoyingness is from being glacial white, although I think when the window trim is painted white, that should improve things. Not sure what else to paint white, though.

Should some of the cabinets also be white? That would blend in the refrigerator and stove a bit more, perhaps. I've not been considering the appliance colors in all this pondering.

You can see some of the holes which have been repaired with Fix-All on the wall in front of the peninsula. Those had gone entirely through the wall, but it's not a structural issue since there's enough board left to support things. There's gonna be a lot of prep work before much painting can be done. Maybe there should be a white primer phase where everything is painted white. Then new colors should be much easier to figure out?

Oh, during the refrigerator move, I did find out the floor is some sort of dotty beige roll vinyl stuck down to some sort of swampy green what I think may be actual linoleum. It's all stuck down, though, more or less anyway, and is gonna be a pain to replace.

Last edited by hotzcatz; 02-02-2015 at 02:36 AM..

Old 02-02-2015, 11:05 AM

Excellent idea to prime everything white! It will be much easier to decide colors then. It will be like a clean slate to start your imagination. Then you could paint large swatches and live with it a few days or weeks till you decide.

Frigde look much better tucked in like that. Reminds me of Seinfeld, the set designer tucked the fridge into the wall because it was too big but no one noticed that it would have actually been sticking out in the hallway. LOL I know yours isn't.

Old 02-02-2015, 11:17 AM

21,981 posts, read 13,004,242 times
The fridge looks great there!!

I'd paint the window trim white and those cute corner shelves to the left of the window. I'm personally not a fan of different colored cabinets so if you are going to paint those, I'd do them all white, but in this room, I'm not sure I'd want that, I think the color is part of their charm.

Maybe do the peninsula in white? Once you get a bit of the white in there, I think it will help you visualize how much more you want to add.

Or what is your plan for the ceiling? What about painting all that wood white? I think that would really open the room up and allow you to be pretty bold with the rest of the colors without making it look too dark and closed in.

Old 02-02-2015, 11:38 AM

Maybe they have thicker walls in Seinfeld than in most places? The fridge here is sticking into the back bedroom that I'm gonna use as a sewing / fibery crafty room. At the moment three spinning wheels are in there, although one Ashford Traditional is for sale so eventually there will only be two spinning wheels. There will also be several sewing machines and a bunch of fabric and yarns and such. Oh, a couple of desks and probably my clock repair stuff, too. Although why clock repair and fibery stuff are all in one room, I dunno. They aren't exactly good with each other. Fibers in clockworks aren't considered desirable. Maybe I should find a different spot for the clock repair, but the workshop under the house will have too much dust. DH has taken over the center bedroom as "his" room, so that will be a music/junk room most likely.

I didn't take any pictures of the back side of the refrigerator bump yet. Well, not since the wall was put back on. I just cut a portion of the wall out - it's single wall construction so it's just 1" thick tongue and groove boards and not studs and drywall - then put a 10" wide section of 1" thick plywood going from the floor to ceiling and then nailed the wall portion to that. I still need to put in the upper shelf which will be the "ceiling" above the refrigerator. The end effect in the bedroom will be about a 40" wide section of wall that is bumped into the room with a shelf or perhaps two shelves above. There will be some built in shelves/bookcase on the other side of the wall bump and the door will swing against the wall on the door side of the wall bump.

Hmm, if I'm gonna put a door to a bath on the other side of the wall bump, maybe that door should be set so it will swing flat against the wall too? Although having shallow storage for things like books behind the door is usually a good use of space so perhaps not.

It still needs the built in shelves, trim and some white paint and I need smaller nails for the nail gun before doing trim so I guess it's off to the hardware store again. Maybe I'll be able to buy some actual paint finally! The paint color for the sewing room shouldn't be as difficult as matching or working around "pineapple" Formica.

Painting the peninsula white sounds like a good idea, emm74. The wood on the one side is pretty eaten, so I may replace one side so white primer all over would be a good start on that.

I'm pretty sure the ceilings will be 1/4" plywood painted white. There will be trim around the edges, that 1/2" wide by 3/16" thick stuff most likely. Which then visually puts 4' x 8' panels trimmed out to that size on the ceiling. Less than beautiful, I think. Minimum would be trim in 4' x 4' squares, I'm thinking, maybe trim in 16" squares and perhaps some sort of pattern instead of squares. But there will need to be some sort of trim at the 4' and 8' edges. But, overall, some sort of flat white ceilings.

I wonder how a white kitchen with bright red cabinets and pineapple countertops would look? Probably not a good idea.

Last edited by hotzcatz; 02-02-2015 at 11:47 AM..

Old 02-02-2015, 12:47 PM

Even if you use 4 x 8 you can still trim 4 x 4. I think that would look really nice. Look at this site, they have done the wood panels with trim Interior construction of decor of an Italian Style Waterfront House

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or