U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 09:02 AM

31,727 posts, read 49,247,268 times

Advertisements

Have friend who recently had a hardwood floor laid in den/living area that is bounded by tile flooring--area about 16 x 20--so good size--
she chose a dark wood--just about the darkest she could because she has a dark kitchen table/chairs in breakfast area open to this living area and she has some dark end tables...

she likes the look but she says that it does show any dust/bits and pieces of everyday living
she is widow but has her grandchildren coming over almost every day--
they aren't allowed to eat in that area now but still can cause it to become messy--

The carpet she replaced was a light Berber w/some brown/black flecks which could show dirt like brought in on shoes but was not as easy to show things like paper or crumbs or dust bunnies...
she has to use the Boma she bought to clean the floor just about every day I think but that is mainly because she is neat freak...

Design consultant I follow on her blog--Maria Killiam--says that a medium brown hardwood is the optimum flooring choice for living space...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 11:01 AM

1,614 posts, read 1,819,498 times
In my area, most of the new construction homes have the handscraped wood floors in dark/almost espresso finish, and you see all manner of wood furnishings, dark and other wise. I think it's fine as long as you break it up and it doesn't become a vast sea of darkness (with rugs, lighter pieces, etc)

IMO, the very dark wood flooring is trendy and will become an instant notification of when the house was built/remodeled, much like the orangey-red oak floors from the 1990's. I would stick to a medium shade of wood stain that's a true brown without a lot of undertones. It might not be as stylish as the espresso floors are right now; but in 10 years they won't be "out" either.

And on the "handscraped" floors....how the heck could those ever be refinished? I'm thinking they can't be, or can't be without losing the scraped look. Personally, I dont' care for them and I think they too are another item that will become indicative of the 2010's.

Old 09-16-2014, 01:19 PM

10,019 posts, read 10,941,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
I would never have dark hardwoods again.

Shows every little bit of lint, cat hair, crumbs, dust - what have you. But they were here when I bought the place and I cannot lighten them.

That being said, most of my furniture is antique mahogany and looks fine. My walls are all very pale; the trim and doors are hi-gloss ultra white.
I second this opinion on dark wooden floors. They look nice but are a never ending source of cleaning work.

Old 09-16-2014, 02:10 PM

8,349 posts, read 7,519,225 times
Yes, and DH has short white hair that sheds!!!

We went to a model home to look again at the dark wood floor. When we saw it 2 weeks ago the home had just been opened and it was beautiful and very clean. Guess lots of folks have been through there since and the family room/kitchen was streaked as if someone had run a mop here and there and it left huge swaths of a white streak on the dark floor. What a mess!

The floor we have picked out is a medium dark wood with lighter streaks here and there. Maybe it won't be as bad to keep clean. As far as medium color floors, we looked high and low for one that would work for us. Most of those that color were of a rustic type or a reddish color, neither of which would work for us. After I looked at all these new floors, I realized how outdated my previous red oak floor looks!! Every 10 years styles change and things become outdated. Even the black or white appliances look outdated now. The house we are buying has almond appliances--need to change those soon!!

We're retired, so if the floor is outdated in 10 years, well then the children can worry about selling it when we go to the nursing home!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or