U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 10:57 AM

43,012 posts, read 95,102,630 times

Advertisements

I'm particularly not liking how there's not much space between the end table and the bookcases. It's only 3.16'. That's wide enough to walk through but much too tight for a large room, especially when it's the only access to the living room side of the room. If the French doors come further down the wall, and they open inward, that's a problem because the door will be in the way of the small walkway to the sofa when the door is open.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 11:02 AM

1,167 posts, read 1,150,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I'm particularly not liking how there's not much space between the end table and the bookcases. It's only 3.16'. That's wide enough to walk through but much too tight for a large room, especially when it's the only access to the living room side of the room. If the French doors come further down the wall, and they open inward, that's a problem because the door will be in the way of the small walkway to the sofa when the door is open.
Depending on the size of the bookcases, I would have them flanking the windows on the far end of the room behind the sofa and out of the way, and I believe the French doors are meant to be where the bookcases are now. Shifting, removing or replacing with something smaller (possibly round) is an easy option for the side table. With the console table behind the sofa, and coffee table in front of it, it gives people somewhere to put a drink etc. down onto without needing the side table.

20ft sq is a big room!

Old 09-04-2014, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozgal View Post
20ft sq is a big room!
It's a decent size room. The furniture still needs to be arranged properly though.

Old 09-04-2014, 01:05 PM

3,408 posts, read 4,731,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozgal View Post
It doesn't seem like there is a need to be walking through the room near where the tv is so that's not a huge concern, though easy access to the tv and seating is necessary.

A lot of what is included on that floor plan is oversized, too. There's no way they need a 3ft deep computer desk (1.5-2 ft is more than sufficient, and I wouldn't go deeper than a 12-15" deep console table, either. Standard bookcases are usually 11-12 inches deep, and smaller side tables of 15-16 inches will shave some space, as well as aiming for slimmer occasional chairs (think 28-30), though 32 inches isn't terrible.

The only other thing I noticed is that the OP said the French doors are closer to the tv wall, which would mean sliding the bookshelves into a different position and probably losing the occasional chair in that bottom corner altogether.
Yes, it has to be played with. The bookcases can be smaller or broke up. The doors are nice but really need a lot of space. I might add another chair in the play area on the top left.

Old 09-04-2014, 05:57 PM

170 posts, read 261,342 times
Thank you everyone. KayeKaye, your picture is close, but the doors are on the other end of the wall. If you are facing the blank wall, (with the cable hook up on the wall to the right), It's about 11 feet of blank wall, 48" wide French door opening, and then another 56" of wall.

As for removing the doors, I don't think I can, since it's a rental house.

More response later!

Last edited by Autum1031; 09-04-2014 at 06:33 PM..

Old 09-04-2014, 07:00 PM

170 posts, read 261,342 times
Ok, sorry about that. I'm in the new city, and my family still in the old, and all of a sudden they pinged me on Skype. I'll take any chance I can to see my 3 year old. :-)

I'm really liking the idea of putting the couch in the middle of the room, and placing something behind-- like a reading area. We are very lucky in that we are renting a large house, so we have a dedicated playroom on the other side of the kitchen, (with a low wall, so you can see into the play area while cooking) and we have a dedicated office for our computers.

However we have a LOT of books-- at last count we easily had around 2,000, spread throughout the house on multiple (10+) bookcases--so I could see us putting some against the walls and maybe a few chairs for seating. I think that could work.

Old 09-04-2014, 07:26 PM

Wow 2,000 books is almost as many I deal with my husbands collection. Bookcases everywhere! Well yes, fill it in with as many that will fit, the room is big enough. I would definitely go with the open steel bookcase from Ikea behind the couch, that can look nice from both sides and doesn't have to be full, leave some space open for airy feeling so you don't get closed in.

Well I tried again, if I don't have it you know what I mean and you can put things where they will work.

Old 09-04-2014, 07:58 PM

This has the playroom removed and more bookcases.

13" square bookcases in the corners
A few more chairs.
I would have the chairs by the TV be smaller and matching

Play around with it and see what works for you.

Old 09-04-2014, 09:01 PM

35,107 posts, read 42,255,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autum1031 View Post
The windows are roughly 38" wide, including frames. The walls with windows are spaced roughly like this:

40" wall space - 38" window - 84" wall space - 38" window - 36" wall space

If you're standing in the room facing the window wall with the cable hook up, the door to the kitchen is on the left-- on the big blank wall with no windows, about 1/3 the way along the wall from the window wall. (It is closer to the wall with the cable hook up). It has French Doors that open into the living room. It makes it hard because the doors open up into a space that I might normally choose to place furniture.

There is a separate dining room, so CSD610's great idea wouldn't work.

We had a separate dining room as well that was smaller so we made it into the office.

I wish you the best getting your room figured out but sometimes you just have to place, then move, then place again, then move again.

Old 09-04-2014, 09:04 PM

Here's a rough idea. You should never enter a room to seeing the back of seating. It's very uninviting. You should also need to find a balance of keeping enough floor space so it doesn't feel cramped and smaller than it is. Children need space to move and dance around. So do adults. If the door is on the other end of the wall, this can easily be flipped around for the same effect.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating