Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 06:46 AM

1,166 posts, read 1,380,389 times

Advertisements

I like that too, Hopes. It's closer to what I would do with the space if I was starting from scratch and buying new furniture!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2014, 06:27 PM

184 posts, read 338,734 times
Thanks everyone, this gives me some great ideas. I'm especially impressed considering I didn't have any photos!

Old 09-06-2014, 06:48 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,215,215 times
Good luck, let us know what you eventually do. Don't hesitate to resurrect this thread.

Old 09-06-2014, 10:42 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autum1031 View Post
Hoping someone here can help me figure out how to position my furniture in this room!

I'm moving into a rental house that has a perfectly square living room, which is 20 feet by 20 feet. 3 of the sides have two windows each (for a total of 6 windows), the 4th wall is a mostly blank wall and a doorway into the kitchen. On the "windowed" walls, the windows are set apart from each other, with about 7 feet of wall in between each window. The cable hookup is in between a pair of windows; the wall opposite has another pair of windows. We have a 42" flat screen TV.

I'm at a complete loss how to set up this space. I can't imagine placing my couch 20 feet away from the television.... but if I place it near the middle of the room, then what? What do I do with the space "behind" the couch? We have a 3 year old so I'd prefer not to have cables trailing across the living room either.

Furniture-wise, we have a couch, a recliner, a large cocktail table (top opens up), a padded bench, and assorted bookcases. Maybe I could put the bench and bookcases "behind" the couch, but that might be a little weird.

Sorry I do not have pictures-- I don't have a smart phone, and I'm in transit moving and lacking my digital camera. I know it's hard to visualize, so feel free to tell me you can't help me based on description alone. ;-) Just thought I'd try!
Have you thought of placing your couches across from each other, sort of in the center of the room.....Put your TV in the area in the middle of that wall. Maybe invest in a nice entertainment center. Use a nice area rug between both couches, it ties the area together nicely. We did that in my husbands house, ours had a fireplace which was the focal point, like your TV would be....

Then, You should have area left at either end of the room....Near the front of the house, behind the couch in the space between the back of the couch and the front wall, put a nice sitting chair and reading lamp, or your bench against the wall....making a sort of foyer entrance...you could add a nice standing hat rack, maybe a couch table behind the couch, this might make a good area for taking off your coat, putting your mail or keys on the table.....

I loved when we had that type space. With our house at the opposite end, past the couches we had a piano, and even had room for a dining table.......You could use a piano, or a small desk, or any sort of interesting small grouping...It really was a lovely room....Have fun and be creative. Magazines and online websites offer some good tips too.

Sorry that I don't have a pic. Message if you need any clarification of my idea.

Old 09-06-2014, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
If I have your dimensions anywhere near right, this is one layout that might work. Play around with it to fit it to your area.

Since you have a child/ren make a play area and a computer area, I like to keep tabs on computer use with kids and control the sound level
Desk between the windows
Or if you don't the play area make it a reading area.
Some toy cabinets under the windows, can be window seats on top

Console table or tall metal open bookcases by couch,
Couch
Recliner on the far side of the doors by couch
Coffee table in front of couch
End table on each side of the couch
TV set up on the wall facing couch, between windows
2 more chairs for company angled in each corner
Bookcases on the door wall as they fit
Rug under all this to separate it from the play area

Really nice suggestions too! Great ideas.

Old 09-06-2014, 11:06 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Have you thought of placing your couches across from each other, sort of in the center of the room.....Put your TV in the area in the middle of that wall. Maybe invest in a nice entertainment center. Use a nice area rug between both couches, it ties the area together nicely. We did that in my husbands house, ours had a fireplace which was the focal point, like your TV would be....

Then, You should have area left at either end of the room....Near the front of the house, behind the couch in the space between the back of the couch and the front wall, put a nice sitting chair and reading lamp, or your bench against the wall....making a sort of foyer entrance...you could add a nice standing hat rack, maybe a couch table behind the couch, this might make a good area for taking off your coat, putting your mail or keys on the table.....

I loved when we had that type space. With our house at the opposite end, past the couches we had a piano, and even had room for a dining table.......You could use a piano, or a small desk, or any sort of interesting small grouping...It really was a lovely room....Have fun and be creative. Magazines and online websites offer some good tips too.

Sorry that I don't have a pic. Message if you need any clarification of my idea.
Sofas facing each other works better for fireplaces than TVs. People like to face TVs directly. It's uncomfortable to be turned sideways to see a TV

Old 09-08-2014, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Sofas facing each other works better for fireplaces than TVs. People like to face TVs directly. It's uncomfortable to be turned sideways to see a TV
True, but it lends itself to great conversation with your guests. TV watching is often a solitary sport at my house...so reclining on the couch....it works. And, they do not have a fireplace. The OP asked for suggestions....I offered mine

Your diagram is very nice, but given your comment I was surprised that at least one couch in yours will force folks to be sideways to watch TV also
Funny how a large square room can lend itself to so many difficulties re: furniture placement

Last edited by JanND; 09-08-2014 at 07:09 PM..

Old 09-08-2014, 07:59 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Your diagram is very nice, but given your comment I was surprised that at least one couch in yours will force folks to be sideways to watch TV also
At least some seating is facing the TV. lol

Old 09-15-2014, 11:47 AM

2 posts, read 971 times
I think that keyekeye's solution is right because the space of room is sizeable to contain your furniture, but without the furniture that he has added. In this way there are also walkway greatest!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating