U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 10:08 PM

170 posts, read 261,374 times

Advertisements

Hoping someone here can help me figure out how to position my furniture in this room!

I'm moving into a rental house that has a perfectly square living room, which is 20 feet by 20 feet. 3 of the sides have two windows each (for a total of 6 windows), the 4th wall is a mostly blank wall and a doorway into the kitchen. On the "windowed" walls, the windows are set apart from each other, with about 7 feet of wall in between each window. The cable hookup is in between a pair of windows; the wall opposite has another pair of windows. We have a 42" flat screen TV.

I'm at a complete loss how to set up this space. I can't imagine placing my couch 20 feet away from the television.... but if I place it near the middle of the room, then what? What do I do with the space "behind" the couch? We have a 3 year old so I'd prefer not to have cables trailing across the living room either.

Furniture-wise, we have a couch, a recliner, a large cocktail table (top opens up), a padded bench, and assorted bookcases. Maybe I could put the bench and bookcases "behind" the couch, but that might be a little weird.

Sorry I do not have pictures-- I don't have a smart phone, and I'm in transit moving and lacking my digital camera. I know it's hard to visualize, so feel free to tell me you can't help me based on description alone. ;-) Just thought I'd try!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 10:36 PM

3,408 posts, read 4,732,871 times
A couple questions:

What size are the windows?
Where is the door placed on the wall?

Old 09-02-2014, 10:39 PM

35,107 posts, read 42,262,503 times
We had a huge living room at one time and I chose the area in front of the picture window close to the front door for the "living room" and had the couch about 1/3 of the way into the room in the middle.

Behind the couch but the other side of the room I made that our "dining room" and it looked great and the couch separated the rooms so they were two distinct rooms in one.

We have been in our current home for 4 years and I am still moving furniture because I haven't found the exact equation yet.

Old 09-03-2014, 07:22 PM

170 posts, read 261,374 times
The windows are roughly 38" wide, including frames. The walls with windows are spaced roughly like this:

40" wall space - 38" window - 84" wall space - 38" window - 36" wall space

If you're standing in the room facing the window wall with the cable hook up, the door to the kitchen is on the left-- on the big blank wall with no windows, about 1/3 the way along the wall from the window wall. (It is closer to the wall with the cable hook up). It has French Doors that open into the living room. It makes it hard because the doors open up into a space that I might normally choose to place furniture.

There is a separate dining room, so CSD610's great idea wouldn't work.

Old 09-03-2014, 07:30 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,150,958 times
What is on the wall opposite the cable hookup wall?

I would put your couch about 10-12 feet from the tv, put a sofa table behind it just to define the space a little, and then on the "back wall," opposite the tv, perhaps get a small table and a couple occasional chairs to make a secondary seating/conversation area. Either that, or put your bookshelves back there with baskets for toys and stuff on the lower shelves and make a little play area for your 3 year old with a small table and chairs to sit at and do crafts and activities.

It is a little hard to picture, sorry!

Old 09-03-2014, 09:25 PM

If I have your dimensions anywhere near right, this is one layout that might work. Play around with it to fit it to your area.

Since you have a child/ren make a play area and a computer area, I like to keep tabs on computer use with kids and control the sound level
Desk between the windows
Or if you don't the play area make it a reading area.
Some toy cabinets under the windows, can be window seats on top

Console table or tall metal open bookcases by couch,
Couch
Recliner on the far side of the doors by couch
Coffee table in front of couch
End table on each side of the couch
TV set up on the wall facing couch, between windows
2 more chairs for company angled in each corner
Bookcases on the door wall as they fit
Rug under all this to separate it from the play area

Old 09-04-2014, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
If I have your dimensions anywhere near right, this is one layout that might work. Play around with it to fit it to your area.

Since you have a child/ren make a play area and a computer area, I like to keep tabs on computer use with kids and control the sound level
Desk between the windows
Or if you don't the play area make it a reading area.
Some toy cabinets under the windows, can be window seats on top

Console table or tall metal open bookcases by couch,
Couch
Recliner on the far side of the doors by couch
Coffee table in front of couch
End table on each side of the couch
TV set up on the wall facing couch, between windows
2 more chairs for company angled in each corner
Bookcases on the door wall as they fit
Rug under all this to separate it from the play area

That's about how I envisioned the space being used but left out the "buy extra furniture" part!

Old 09-04-2014, 09:30 AM

LOL I always encourage getting more furniture, something to shoot for. Could even pick it up off of craigslist, not hard.

This is great room with lots of space. Do you need the french doors to remain? The opening of them is bound to get tedious if this is your main hang out area. As much as I like them maybe you should think about taking them off and finishing an opening there.

Old 09-04-2014, 10:11 AM

43,012 posts, read 95,112,532 times
With that furniture placement, you just have a tiny walkway all around the room.

Not all rooms are meant for floating sofas, especially with that much furniture.

Old 09-04-2014, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
With that furniture placement, you just have a tiny walkway all around the room.

Not all rooms are meant for floating sofas, especially with that much furniture.
It doesn't seem like there is a need to be walking through the room near where the tv is so that's not a huge concern, though easy access to the tv and seating is necessary.

A lot of what is included on that floor plan is oversized, too. There's no way they need a 3ft deep computer desk (1.5-2 ft is more than sufficient, and I wouldn't go deeper than a 12-15" deep console table, either. Standard bookcases are usually 11-12 inches deep, and smaller side tables of 15-16 inches will shave some space, as well as aiming for slimmer occasional chairs (think 28-30), though 32 inches isn't terrible.

The only other thing I noticed is that the OP said the French doors are closer to the tv wall, which would mean sliding the bookshelves into a different position and probably losing the occasional chair in that bottom corner altogether.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating