U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2014, 08:34 PM

2 posts, read 2,818 times

Advertisements

We just moved into our first home and are having a heck of a time trying to figure out what type of furniture we should purchase for our living room (bottom left room) and where to position it. The room is just plain awkward.

The right side of the room is comprised of the front door of the house an archway leading to the dining room leaving little wall space for furniture. The left side of the room has the same issue with a fireplace and windows on each side. Lastly, the bottom side of the room is all windows and the top side of the room is just a wall.

We have a blank slate and don't know where to start. Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

[IMG][URL=http://imgur.com/NC8bAxf]http://i.imgur.com/NC8bAxf.jpg[/URL][/IMG]

I should add that we would like to use the room for just hanging out, watching television, and entertaining. Also would really like a sectional, but don't think it would work with the floor plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2014, 09:05 PM

43,012 posts, read 95,112,532 times
Can you move the front door to the center of the 11'-11" wall of the dining room? That would pretty much solve your problems.

Old 09-03-2014, 09:27 PM

2 posts, read 2,818 times
Agree, but don't think that's in the cards any time soon

Old 09-04-2014, 12:30 AM

43,012 posts, read 95,112,532 times
If you weren't trying to watch TV in there comfortably, there are some great arrangements that will look good in there. But it's not going to work with a TV, not even over the fireplace because the room is too narrow to be far enough away from the TV to watch it up that high.

What I'd do is make your dining room your living room and vise versa. Put the sectional in the corner of the 11'-11" and 14'-2" wall. Put your TV against the 10'-4" wall. Remove the door to the hallway or switch the hinges so it opens into the hallway.

In the dining room (the former living room), put the table in the top half of the room. In the bottom half of the room, put two chairs with a table in between in front of the wall of windows for a seating area for reading, etc. Or if you entertain often, put the dining table in front of the windows, and have seating areas on the top half of the room as an extension to the living room where the sectional is located. It's a 21' long room. You can easily divide it into two areas so the dining table doesn't look lonely in there. The beauty of this is that room will always be clean for it being where the entry is located, and the living room can be messy if people stop by unexpected and you don't want them to see it.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:45 AM

10,780 posts, read 9,416,027 times
Furniture placement in that room isn't an issue. It's furniture placement and still being able to have a TV in it that's going to be your problem. OP, I feel your pain as I have the same issue with my living room. Tons of doors, windows, and a fireplace without any logical location for a TV. I just had to put the TV in a somewhat inconvenient location and live with it even though I can't stand it really. Made matters worse when my husband came home with one of those huge TVs one day too. You're either looking at putting the TV in a location so it blocks a window (ugh) or putting it on your one wall with the furniture placed around the fireplace and having a funky angle if you ever want to watch TV (another ugh). Either way, you're not looking at something easy.

My suggestion. Go with a placement that works for you even if it means breaking a cardinal decorating rule (such as a TV in front of a window next to the fireplace). You have to live in the house and sometimes that means having to break the rules, so to speak. Just remember, when you do go to sell it, the TV will have to come out.

Old 09-04-2014, 04:14 PM

25,466 posts, read 16,415,619 times
I can't identify which is the dining room? There seem to be three large rooms that don't have closets, so I don't think they are bedrooms. And where are the windows?

Without more info, I have to think the two large rooms are living areas? The middle room could house the TV, and the fireplace room could be arranged more formally. If the dining area is the large room in the middle, then, I agree that you could swap functions, although the living area is large for a dining room, and perhaps you don't need a formal dining room? You could also make the difficult room a double office, and use the middle room as your living area, but it is a shame to lose the fireplace for your l.r. in that case.

I'd like some more info please on your situation.

Old 09-04-2014, 07:32 PM

14,740 posts, read 21,786,838 times
Hire an interior designer.
They are experts at this.

Old 09-07-2014, 06:46 PM

50,732 posts, read 40,119,236 times
I'm going with Hopes on this one - if you don't want to put the TV in front of a window (ugh) I'd switch rooms as well. Put the dining room table at the "bottom" in front of the windows, and put a seating arrangement (two chairs and an ottoman in between maybe?) on the blank wall at the top, maybe with bookshelves behind them - with actual books in them - making a sort of reading nook. With the fireplace in there, it would be so cozy - and you could see through the arch into the living room when you have company. You could finish it off with a small buffet/serving piece on the wall across from the fireplace between the front door and the arch way.

Then you could put your sectional in the lower right quadrant of what used to be the dining room and put a big TV on the wall opposite it. You might even have room for another smaller chair in there - maybe one that swivels so you could swivel it around to watch TV. Put a big square coffee table nestled in the L of the sectional. Lots of comfortable seating then!

I'm hoping that's a cool little breakfast room off the kitchen (top left hand corner). If not, then you may have to get creative with eating space in that kitchen. Is there room for an island with two small stools or chairs tucked beneath it? Or maybe a small drop leaf table or cafe table and two chairs on the wall to the right of the stove.

Cute floor plan by the way. YOU SHOULD POST PHOTOS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating