U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 09:34 AM

3,406 posts, read 4,730,892 times

Advertisements

I don't know, I know several people that have magazine cover homes and keep them perfect and invest in lots of strategic lighting. It's a high standard and not everyone can do it, those who do are compulsive cleaners and not easy to live with. Mine is half and half, because those people are relatives and I have to have them here, yikes. They live by the philosophy of "don't put it down, put it away!".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 11:06 AM

584 posts, read 1,831,453 times
Yea, I was sort of wondering those things too, where is the coat that gets worn everyday, or the soap dish, keys, shoes, etc....so I was wondering if they have like an exact spot for everything tucked away, or if they just shove all that in the closet. I really love the look of these designed rooms, but trying to add the everyday life stuff and not totally ruining the clean look would be hard. I'm still trying to figure out how to put up family photos like in the magazines without spending a fortune on the frames.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:13 AM

10,780 posts, read 9,413,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgmv90 View Post
Yea, I was sort of wondering those things too, where is the coat that gets worn everyday, or the soap dish, keys, shoes, etc....so I was wondering if they have like an exact spot for everything tucked away, or if they just shove all that in the closet. I really love the look of these designed rooms, but trying to add the everyday life stuff and not totally ruining the clean look would be hard. I'm still trying to figure out how to put up family photos like in the magazines without spending a fortune on the frames.
Don't forget the amount of work they put into moving furniture, etc that makes for a great photograph but not for great living. Really look at those photos sometime and see how close together some of the furniture appears or how many knick knacks, etc they have that would make using some of said furniture be impossible. There's a whole job on photo shoots with just styling for those shoots.

Here's a blog and her personal experience with having a magazine shoot done.
Behind the Scenes of a Magazine Photo Shoot - Southern Hospitality

Old 09-04-2014, 02:46 PM

23,501 posts, read 12,038,295 times
Have lots of storage areas to put the stuff that doesn't fit in a picture perfect home.. and don't shop a lot.. no extra gadgets, stuff, nana.. and it will be much more easier to achieve. We all have a dream of what our house should look like but then there is reality.

Old 09-04-2014, 03:19 PM

3,554 posts, read 5,391,218 times
I think some people in here might be surprised at how our house looks on a fairly regular basis. Nearly zero cords visible anywhere with the exception of some movable or table-top items like coffee pots, laptops as needed, etc. All our cords are routed out of site (in walls, in the depth of the floor joists, etc.). We also keep an extremely neat house, but it is just two of us and a dog. When something gets used it gets put back when it is done for example. We are not obsessive *cleaners* (scrubbing, vacuuming, etc. are not done super frequently) but we are both very detail driven and just enjoy keeping a neat house. And surprisingly for us at least it isn't very hard at all if you have routines. Now, I do understand that not everyone can or even wants to live like that. For us it is easy and keeps the house relaxing and stress-free.

Now, that doesn't mean we don't have the occasional dog toy stranded throughout the floor

I posted a thread on our living room makeover awhile back - that's pretty much what our living room looks like, minus the exact position of a couple pillows or the occasional coffee or adult beverage on the coasters. But some people here would probably think we had to straighten for the 'magazine' type effect. It's just our personal quirks of neat and orderly.

Old 09-04-2014, 03:56 PM

25,446 posts, read 16,399,133 times
I think of magazine interior shots as inspirational. You can't replicate any of them in detail, but you can get such things as good ideas about color, what goes together, maybe what is available and furniture layout. But I quit looking at decorating mags awhile ago because there is so little in their idealized pics that I can use.

If you want to look at great pics of beautiful rooms, and know where to get the stuff in the rooms, I suggest getting the Pottery Barn catalog. Maybe the Wayfair catalog as well. Also have a look online at their websites. They sites do a much better job with illustrating how to use their wares than most furniture sites.

I think some of the decorating bloggers address this when they post about how they arrange the shots for their blogs. And reading some of those bloggers will help you see that nice homes don't have to be as high end as most decorating mags portray. I like these sites, but there are many, many more out there:

Nesting Place

Home - Miss Mustard Seed

Jennifer Rizzo - Making Your Home Your Own

Design*Sponge | Your home for all things Design. Home Tours, DIY Project, City Guides, Shopping Guides, Before & Afters and much more

And Kathryn, for goodness' sake why aren't you writing a decorating blog? You'd be a great blogger.

Old 09-05-2014, 02:52 AM

10,317 posts, read 19,758,576 times
I find magazine cover houses scary and don't think I'd want to meet the people that live there. How can they live there? What do they do there? There never seems to be the accessories for living anywhere nearby. If they have any interests, they are interests that don't require any "stuff" do to them. Unless maybe they have a craft room tucked away somewhere but then you're hiding while doing your hobby. That seems odd.

Old 09-05-2014, 05:51 AM

1,361 posts, read 2,216,269 times
I just read this and though of all of you. Maybe one reason you can't replicate the magazine look is because sometimes it's not even real. Ikea uses computer generated images and I suspect a lot of others do computer tweaking too.
Ikea reveals 75% of catalog images are CGI - Home - TODAY.com

Old 09-05-2014, 05:58 AM

3,554 posts, read 5,391,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
I find magazine cover houses scary and don't think I'd want to meet the people that live there. How can they live there? What do they do there? There never seems to be the accessories for living anywhere nearby. If they have any interests, they are interests that don't require any "stuff" do to them. Unless maybe they have a craft room tucked away somewhere but then you're hiding while doing your hobby. That seems odd.
We have a lot of interests, but you're right that most of them don't require a lot of stuff sitting around. One of the biggest reasons is that Architecture, interior design, art, and furniture design are all interests of ours. My wife and I spend a lot of time on DIY projects around the house (built-ins, moulding, flooring, artwork, new lighting, etc.) - that is a major hobby of ours. So quite literally, you ARE looking at a lot of our interests when you are looking at our house but you wouldn't even realize it!

But for our other interests, yes they stay tucked away when we aren't utilizing them or simply don't take up much space. Reading for instance is big for both of us, but they just become another piece of the decor when not being read.

Old 09-05-2014, 06:35 AM

3,157 posts, read 3,222,947 times
I know a lot of people with magazine cover homes, but they all have a lot of money and no kids (or grown kids). We have one decent room that I made with help from an interior designer, but the rest of the house is kind of a mess in every way. I didn't pay much for the designer - you can actually get a consultation for a couple hundred dollars and they'll tell you what to change to improve your house. You can also pay a bit more and they'll come and redesign your whole house for you just by moving your furniture around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating