U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 03:53 PM

5,444 posts, read 5,171,975 times

Advertisements

I just had this mental image of the movie One Hour Photo with Robin Williams. I think your wall will end up looking like this. (not as bad, but you get the idea)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 04:05 PM

25,366 posts, read 16,324,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgmv90 View Post
I guess maybe 100 photos or such. I dont want a cluttered look. But enlarging a few photos, I just dont know if I can choose that few. Plus, I don't have a lot of wall space for photos, so I thought I would pack it.
Here's an idea: choose several shots that are high quality, and have them enlarged. You can crop and enlarge them, and if they are online, you can even sharpen them or rid them of flaws. When you get the shots you want, and the sizes you want, have them printed or print yourself and then frame. I've framed a million things, and I advocate using similar frames for all. But do put some of them into wider mats for interest. At any rate, hang these and look at them for a year or two. Then frame another batch, and put the first batch away. Eventually you will have many photos to rotate. And you can put the holiday pics up at the holidays, and the school pics up in September--that sort of thing.

Another thing to think about is using those large frames with multiple openings cut into mats. Pottery Barn sells these, and they are very nice. You could hang three of these with several pics, and because the mats and frames are so well done, they will look nice.

Wood Gallery Multiple Opening Frames | Pottery Barn

Pottery Barn also carries dimensional framing options. Have a look at their site for inspiration.

I think hanging a wall of similarly framed 4x6 photos would be sort of boring.

Old 09-05-2014, 02:46 AM

10,291 posts, read 19,725,796 times
My brother had a huge picture frame full of photos. It was probably about four feet wide and about three feet tall, it was huge. It was filled with a bunch of photos. There were color photos, black and whites, sepia tone, all different sorts. The naked baby on a fur, the kids on the pony, the old guy on the tractor, the first fish, everyone lined up in front of some monument, etc. etc. Some overlapped others, some didn't, it was a great display. I was looking at them trying to figure out who the people were, they kinda looked like relatives, but nobody I recognized. So I figured they were all my sister-in-laws' people. Nope. Turned out he'd gotten them all at a yard sale and made a collage of them. Turned out great, much more interesting relatives than the ones we were issued!

Old 09-08-2014, 09:32 PM

19,147 posts, read 5,169,027 times
I had boxes of pictures in the basement where no one could see them...I bought a lot of those small picture
albums, filled them up and put them in 2 big wicker baskets in the family room...it took a lot of time but I'm so
glad I did, everyone enjoys going through them now.

Old 09-08-2014, 10:05 PM

1,360 posts, read 2,212,744 times
I like the first photo, the tall frame. I think by putting them all in one big frame (that you could make to size), it looks less cluttered and it would be easier to move.
How to Decorate with Small Photo Prints - Digital Photography & Creative Lifestyle : Digital Photography & Creative Lifestyle

Old 09-10-2014, 11:02 AM

1,167 posts, read 1,148,722 times
Go to Shutterfly or any of those services, make yourself a photo book and plop it on your coffee table.

Old 09-10-2014, 04:33 PM

39,094 posts, read 48,048,649 times
I'm not going to tell you what I would do, which is pare it down and use black frames. If you are adamant to put them all up, then draw a square space with faint pencil lines, use push pins to place them (some will overlap). You can move them around to arrive at the most pleasing combination. You can rearrange them every so often for variety.

Old 09-10-2014, 04:35 PM

39,094 posts, read 48,048,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekemom View Post
I had boxes of pictures in the basement where no one could see them...I bought a lot of those small picture
albums, filled them up and put them in 2 big wicker baskets in the family room...it took a lot of time but I'm so
glad I did, everyone enjoys going through them now.
I have seen this done with an old vintage suitcase, slid under a coffee table, and filled with pictures. It can be slid out when folks want to look at the photos.

Old 09-13-2014, 06:06 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,271,018 times
I would pick something where it would be easy to change the photos and then periodically replace the ones on display with new ones. That way you would have a ever changing display.

Old 09-15-2014, 10:07 PM

5,075 posts, read 8,905,433 times
Pare it down to 4-5 favorite family members and leave the rest out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or