Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2014, 02:37 PM

1,680 posts, read 2,559,252 times

Advertisements

Anyone remember those Pier I "speaks to me" commercials? Well, now I am beginning to understand where the idea came from...

I am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel when it comes to having lived through the renovations of a 15 year old condo I bought a few months ago. Up until now everything was stored in closets, drawers or moved out to my three season room while the renovations were being completed. Now that the flooring has been installed and the painting has been completed I am starting to find places for all of my stuff.

I had everything pretty much worked out on paper or had a good idea in my mind where things would go only to have my 100 year old ladies roll top desk speak to me "Here? Really? I would much rather be over there in the corner next to the window." Of course the sewing table decided it wanted to be next to the desk and not in the spare bedroom... and many of the pictures decided they wanted to be on different walls. I was really glad the couch and the antique 9 x12 rug decided they liked it just fine where they were, because, it would have been no easy task to move them.

It's comical, but, these objects do seem to have their own idea of where they want to reside- regardless of where I thought I would put them! I think the Pier I commercial got it right, things speak to us. They seem to be particularly vocal when they have lived in a home for a very longtime and then you suddenly up root them and move them to a new home

Mary2014
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 03:05 PM

324 posts, read 837,549 times
So funny you mention this. I was just talking to my husband about those old Pier 1 commercials and blaming them for why I came home with a metal owl wine cork holder. What can I say, it spoke to me! It now sits on a shelf in my kitchen gazing over at the wine rack. Whooo wants a glass of wine? Yoooou do!

Er, anyway, yes, things do seem to speak to us. I know I kept trying to move my antique buffet to a different corner and it just wasn't having it. It like being the centerpiece of the room I guess. LOL

Old 09-17-2014, 08:47 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
What usually "speaks" to me has champagne sophistication...

...my wallet has beer budget!!!

Old 09-22-2014, 05:21 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
When we arranged furniture in our latest home, I had definite ideas where everything should go, but a couple of items told me they didn't like my choices. It was pretty funny trying to find the place for an old Victorian loveseat. It hated everywhere I tried to put it, but finally settled for my bedroom. Funny that its upholstery didn't seem to be right for the room, but when we put it in there, it sort of sighed and started to blend in. So, yes I understand. But honestly, I don't remember that Pier 1 commercial.

Old 09-23-2014, 12:11 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
I do remember that Pier 1 commercial, and I can really relate to it!

Here's my very favorite little corner of my house - each of these pieces "spoke to me" and wanted to be together. By the way, the library table was made by my parents when they were young, and is full of antique books, the photo is a photo of a sheep I took while in Yorkshire, the porcelain sheep is an antique from an old Nativity set, the lamp is an Art Nouveau/Jugenstihl lamp I found in Germany and rewired (and spent a fortune on the lampshade, but hey, it spoke to me too!), and the plant is a houseplant that my daughter gave me to "babysit" for three years while she lives in Guam.

Each piece would be a personal favorite on it's own, but together...I just love them even more. They really wanted to be together in my new house, even though I certainly hadn't envisioned them together!

Old 09-23-2014, 11:23 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Well, since I saw one just the other day it's pretty easy to "remember" them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating