U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-07-2014, 10:30 AM
 
1,315 posts, read 1,677,991 times
Reputation: 2543

Advertisements

My brain is hardwired to be left handed. I view the world counterclockwise and right to left. I flip through magazines back to front. Even words I use seem to be a mirror image of that of a right handed person - for example - my right handed friends would say "it's about a half mile UP the road" while I would describe the place as "it's about a half mile DOWN the road".

I noticed when viewing condos to buy that were the mirror image of each other, I had a strong preference for one layout over the other because the flow of one was much more comfortable to me than the other.

Now that I am arranging furniture in my new place I am noticing my being left handed is having a great impact on where and how I tend to place furniture. For example, my swivel rocker must be in a corner of the room that allows me to place a small table to my left when I am sitting in the chair.

Several people (and internet layout suggestions) recommended the placement of my bed on the wall opposite the bedroom door. I tried it that way and could not stand it - so the bed is now on the opposite wall - the same wall as the door.

I am beginning to think that all the articles about furniture placement were created by right handed people. If you are left handed don't be surprised if you find yourself more comfortable with a mirror image of a suggested layout.

Mary2014
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-07-2014, 11:35 AM
 
43,012 posts, read 94,991,988 times
Reputation: 30461
I've never thought about this until reading your post. My sectional has end tables on both ends. As I type this, I'm sitting on the side that has the end table to my left even though I'm right handed. I'm the only person in the room so I have my choice of seats, but I've chosen to sit on the left side. I always sat on the left side of my parents' sofas. I have always preferred to lean on the left arm of a sofa or chair. That leaves my right arm, my dominate arm, free to move around. As a result, I'd want an end table to the left of a chair. It's more natural for me to reach across the front of my body to get something from an end table than it is to twist my arm that is closest to the table to get something from it.

I think you simply have specific preferences that has nothing to do with decorating being for right handed people. Your wanting a bed on a different wall really has no baring on your being left handed unless your room is so small that puts "your" side of the bed close to wall. Anyone, even a right handed person would prefer the bed elsewhere if that was the case.

If you were going to talk about where dishwashers are placed, I'd agree with you. Mine, btw, is to the left of my sink even though every family member is right handed. Whenever we sell our house, I'll let you know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2014, 11:41 AM
 
Location: southwestern PA
20,419 posts, read 39,122,875 times
Reputation: 39163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary2014 View Post
My brain is hardwired to be left handed. I view the world counterclockwise and right to left. I flip through magazines back to front. Even words I use seem to be a mirror image of that of a right handed person - for example - my right handed friends would say "it's about a half mile UP the road" while I would describe the place as "it's about a half mile DOWN the road".

I noticed when viewing condos to buy that were the mirror image of each other, I had a strong preference for one layout over the other because the flow of one was much more comfortable to me than the other.

Now that I am arranging furniture in my new place I am noticing my being left handed is having a great impact on where and how I tend to place furniture. For example, my swivel rocker must be in a corner of the room that allows me to place a small table to my left when I am sitting in the chair.

Several people (and internet layout suggestions) recommended the placement of my bed on the wall opposite the bedroom door. I tried it that way and could not stand it - so the bed is now on the opposite wall - the same wall as the door.

I am beginning to think that all the articles about furniture placement were created by right handed people. If you are left handed don't be surprised if you find yourself more comfortable with a mirror image of a suggested layout.

Mary2014
I don't see how your preferences have a thing to do with you being left-handed.
It is simply what YOU prefer, and nothing more....


And the 'flow' of mirror imaged floor plans are the same 'flow' - mirroring does not change that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2014, 12:27 PM
 
Location: Coastal Georgia
39,084 posts, read 48,037,614 times
Reputation: 66503
I am left handed too, Mary2014. I also do the backward magazine thing, and if given the choice would place a side table to the left of my chair. Do you go to the left side of the grocery store first, or the teller line the farthest to the left at the bank? I do. Sometimes, I feel like a salmon swimming upstream.

I think that we lefties are very accustomed to functioning in a right handed world. We acclimate easily to things like gear shifts, scissors and hose winders and other things geared to a right handed world.

In answer to your question, if you can't place things the way you want them in your own home, where can you? Let the right handed people acclimate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2014, 02:38 PM
 
1,315 posts, read 1,677,991 times
Reputation: 2543
gentlearts,

When I am sitting in a chair the table is to my left because if I am reading I prefer the light coming from the left. If it is the table with my old fashioned corded phone sitting on the table it must be to my left because the phone is always up to my left ear.

The bed placement on a particular wall was because I did not want to walk all the way around the bed every time to access the master bathroom. It is not like I can't get out of bed on the right side, my instinct is to go to my left.

And when it comes to hanging clothes on hangers we drive right handed people crazy! They will often turn the hanger around in the closet so the front of the shirt is on the right side - we lefties always have the front of the garment on the left side of the hanger.

Some of this maybe be just me as others have suggested, but, some of it I think is because our brains are wired a little differently.

When my mother was alive and would come for a visit- she would always reorganize my kitchen cabinets because everything was in the wrong place. She would do the cooking all week and when she left I would put everything back in the "left" place. I was the only leftie in my entire family and things like sewing she had to find a left handed friend to show me how to hem a dress. She could never quite understand why I could not hem in the same direction as a right handed person.

Mary2014
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2014, 02:59 PM
 
43,012 posts, read 94,991,988 times
Reputation: 30461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary2014 View Post
When I am sitting in a chair the table is to my left because if I am reading I prefer the light coming from the left. If it is the table with my old fashioned corded phone sitting on the table it must be to my left because the phone is always up to my left ear.
I hold the phone to my left ear so my right hand is free to do other things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary2014 View Post
The bed placement on a particular wall was because I did not want to walk all the way around the bed every time to access the master bathroom. It is not like I can't get out of bed on the right side, my instinct is to go to my left.
I'm right handed and prefer to sleep on the left side of the bed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary2014 View Post
And when it comes to hanging clothes on hangers we drive right handed people crazy! They will often turn the hanger around in the closet so the front of the shirt is on the right side - we lefties always have the front of the garment on the left side of the hanger.
My clothes are hanging facing left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary2014 View Post
Some of this maybe be just me as others have suggested, but, some of it I think is because our brains are wired a little differently.
I'm sure your brain is wired differently. Everyone's is. Even right handed people do things differently from other right handed people. It is an interesting subject. I stated earlier that everyone in my house is right handed, but that's not true. My son is cross-dominant. It's different from ambidextrous. He does some things with his right hand and other things with his left hand. He does not favor one hand over the other overall. His tasks are about equally split using different hands. He has the further complication of his dominant eye being the opposite of his dominant hand for some tasks. As a result, we had to have hunting rifles custom designed for him.

Last edited by Hopes; 09-07-2014 at 04:18 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2014, 03:03 PM
 
Location: southwestern PA
20,419 posts, read 39,122,875 times
Reputation: 39163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary2014 View Post
The bed placement on a particular wall was because I did not want to walk all the way around the bed every time to access the master bathroom.
That is not exclusive to lefties at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2014, 03:45 PM
 
1,315 posts, read 1,677,991 times
Reputation: 2543
Hopes,

I know some people who don't seem to have a problem doing some things left and some things right handed. In fact most of the left handed people I know use their right hand to operate a computer mouse. They can use their right hand to operate the mouse and take notes with their left hand.

I am one of the few lefties I know who uses my left hand to operate the mouse and changed the computer internal settings on the mouse so that a right handers "right" click of the mouse is a "left" click on my mouse.

Bottom line it sounds like many of my furniture placement choices seem to be personal choices that right handers make as well.

Mary2014
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2014, 04:28 PM
 
43,012 posts, read 94,991,988 times
Reputation: 30461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary2014 View Post
I know some people who don't seem to have a problem doing some things left and some things right handed. In fact most of the left handed people I know use their right hand to operate a computer mouse. They can use their right hand to operate the mouse and take notes with their left hand.
They're doing it because they feel forced to do so since the world is made for right handed people. My son's cross-dominant is different from that. His mind makes a natural preference for certain tasks. He'll hit a baseball like a lefty. He shoots like a lefty. He plays lacrosse like a righty. There's no rhyme or reason to it. You'd think he'd hold a baseball bat and a lacrosse stick the same. He digs with a shovel like a lefty. He writes and eats like a righty, except when he cuts meat with a knife. He does like a lefty. When cooking, he stirs food like a lefty but flips food like a righty. He writes like a righty. I could go on and on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary2014 View Post
I am one of the few lefties I know who uses my left hand to operate the mouse and changed the computer internal settings on the mouse so that a right handers "right" click of the mouse is a "left" click on my mouse.
That's really interesting. You truly are hard-wired because you didn't adapt like most lefties do, huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary2014 View Post
Bottom line it sounds like many of my furniture placement choices seem to be personal choices that right handers make as well.
I think so. Everyone likes their furniture their own way for a variety of reasons.

Last edited by Hopes; 09-07-2014 at 04:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2014, 04:45 PM
 
Location: Coastal Georgia
39,084 posts, read 48,037,614 times
Reputation: 66503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary2014 View Post
gentlearts,

When I am sitting in a chair the table is to my left because if I am reading I prefer the light coming from the left. If it is the table with my old fashioned corded phone sitting on the table it must be to my left because the phone is always up to my left ear.

The bed placement on a particular wall was because I did not want to walk all the way around the bed every time to access the master bathroom. It is not like I can't get out of bed on the right side, my instinct is to go to my left.

And when it comes to hanging clothes on hangers we drive right handed people crazy! They will often turn the hanger around in the closet so the front of the shirt is on the right side - we lefties always have the front of the garment on the left side of the hanger.

Some of this maybe be just me as others have suggested, but, some of it I think is because our brains are wired a little differently.

When my mother was alive and would come for a visit- she would always reorganize my kitchen cabinets because everything was in the wrong place. She would do the cooking all week and when she left I would put everything back in the "left" place. I was the only leftie in my entire family and things like sewing she had to find a left handed friend to show me how to hem a dress. She could never quite understand why I could not hem in the same direction as a right handed person.

Mary2014
The thing I find MOST vexing is winding up a garden hose. It is always pre bent backward and very hard to figure out for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top