U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 11:35 AM

5 posts, read 6,792 times

Advertisements

I have a huge design dilemma of my square shape living room with kitchen (picture below). Due to the square shape, I’m not sure how to place the furniture in the room.

My wiches and dilemmas:
• Creating a modern, bright and open space
• Couch should be big enough and presenting a place where the whole family or friends hang out
• Dining area should be big enough for min 4 people
• Placing a kitchen in a straight line or in L-shape?
• Necessary to have enough storage room for kitchen appliances
• Where to put a TV stand?

Does anyone have an idea how to solve these dilemmas ? I would be more than grateful for all of your help
Attached Thumbnails
Square shape living room with kitchen-living-room-kitchen.png  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 11:37 AM

20,419 posts, read 39,116,618 times
Knowing how much of that ~100 sq ft the kitchen takes up would be helpful...

Old 09-08-2014, 11:58 AM

The room is now completly empety. On the picture it's only illustrated where the place for the kichen sink, electricty etc is provided

Old 09-08-2014, 12:04 PM

20,419 posts, read 39,116,618 times
Without knowing cabinets/appliances info - how many there are, how they are placed, AND their size - it is tough to plan out the rest.

Old 09-08-2014, 01:03 PM

1,315 posts, read 1,677,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oksem View Post
The room is now completly empety. On the picture it's only illustrated where the place for the kichen sink, electricty etc is provided
I guess I am a little confused by the diagram. So, it is about a 10' x 10' space. Is this for just the living room/ dining area and the kitchen is next to this space? Or does this space also have to include the kitchen appliances? I can't imagine a 10' x 10' square space big enough for more than a dining area, let alone a kitchen and living room as well.

Mary2014

Old 09-08-2014, 02:12 PM

I think I see the problem. It looks like the OP may be referring to 31 square meters and made an error converting to square feet. If 31 square meters that would be approximated 335 square feet, not 101 sq ft.

Mary2014

Old 09-08-2014, 02:45 PM

Mary 2014 you are completly right. I checked again and realized that I used the wrong coverter - I'm from Europe and I'm using m 335 sq ft is the right number. TNX

Old 09-08-2014, 03:10 PM

So OP, looking at the left side of the square it looks like you have two windows. The right side of the square toward the top looks like the entry way into the room. The top of the square where there is a little black line toward the left side - what does that represent? The bottom of the square toward the left, what does the white and black lines represent?

Mary2014

Old 09-09-2014, 01:48 AM

Left side: upper part are balcony doors, lower part is window.

Yes on the right is an entrance

Ignore the black and white box, it's nothing

Old 09-09-2014, 06:37 AM

OP,

Having seen a few House Hunters International TV programs and that in some countries it is the norm for the kitchen to move with the former owner that would explain why you just have the plumbing in place for a kitchen and nothing else. I am going to assume that you are the new owner although I seem to recall that sometimes installing the kitchen may also be the responsibility of a renter as well.

Since the square is 18 feet x 18 feet, for ease of discussion I am going to divide it up into 9 squares of 6' x 6'. Squares 1, 2 and 3 across the top of your diagram, 4,5 and 6 across the middle and 7,8 and 9 across the bottom.

Since the balcony door falls into square 1, we don't want to place any furniture so that it would block access to the balcony door. The entry door falls into block 3, so that area has similar restrictions (although it looks like you may be able to place a coat rack or small table or bookcase to the right of the door as you enter the room).

The kitchen cabinets/counter top because of the plumbing and electrical requirements by necessity will need to run along where it says "kitchen installations" along the right edge of blocks 6 and 9. Assuming a standard cabinet depth of a little over 2 feet, that will take up a little over 1/3 of each block.

I am more comfortable working in feet rather than meters, but, as a general reference a 6' x 6' block of space is a little less than 2 meters x 2 meters. Actually, a 6.5 x 6.5 area would be equal to 2 meters x 2 meters. I chose the 6'x 6' blocks to define various areas in the room as a reference point because I just figured out how much space I need in my own place for a small table to seat four people. It turns out that I need a minimum of 6' x 6' and a slightly larger space (7x 7 or 8x8 would be preferable).

So, now that we have some reference points we can look at some possible layouts. Others can jump into the discussion using the same reference points. I am not good at attaching pictures, but, maybe someone else can draw up what I have tried to describe in words.

Mary2014
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating