Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2015, 03:10 PM

1 posts, read 800 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am in the middle of renovating my new condo and I have a few questions for you about color, light fixtures and a few other details.

First I will try to explain the space to you as I do not have any photos of it yet. The living room, kitchen and dining room are all one space shaped in an "L". The ceilings are quite low (maybe 7.5' tall) and there isn't all that much natural light coming into the living space. I am a young single male and looking to decorate it to look modern, masculine but warm and welcoming at the same time.

The only pieces of furniture I have so far are a dark chocolate brown sectional and a gloss white TV bench. When it comes to picking a dining table, kitchen cupboards etc. what sort of colors would go well with what I already have?

I would like to go with a dark floor but bring in some warmth with the paint, which brings me to my second question; what colors would work well on the walls in a space I described with the furniture I have currently? Would like to keep them all the same color with one accent wall.

Thirdly, light fixtures. Since the ceilings are low I don't want anything low hanging to make the room appear any lower than it is.

Thanks!

Last edited by Dylan780; 03-09-2015 at 03:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 09:46 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,041,229 times
Are you carpeting or putting in hard surface floors? I think I'd maybe use a mid tone for the floors, honestly, since you have a low light and low ceiling situation. If you want to keep your brown sofa and white TV bench, I'd use brown and white for sure. I think you could use almost any color you like for room, and then choose your accent color accordingly. If the brown sofa reads very dark, then I think you could probably use lighter, warmer tones for the walls. But I do like grays, foggy blues and greens, and these would work well with masculine feeling furniture.

I am going out on a limb and recommend you not add black furniture to your room, because I don't think black adds a lot to a room, especially a room with less light than you might want. You will have some black anyway, probably from your TV and possibly other accessories.

Here is a pic I found that might inspire you: Brown Sofa with Chaise Lounge - Traditional - den/library/office - Georgette Westerman Interiors

You can see a dark brown sofa with white accents and a neutral wall color. I don't know why you couldn't add a blue or green printed rug into the scheme instead of the salmon colored one.

The problem you will have is that with the brown sofa, and probably brown furniture, you will have an awful lot of brown going on in there. Here are some grayish furniture options for you from the Basset site:

End Tables | Accent Furniture

Not sure if the white of the TV table will blend with these, but many of these look masculine and quite nice to me. Add a white fake fur throw (find these at Pottery Barn) to the brown sofa. Or use a cowhide rug on the floor.

Your accent wall will depend on the color of the rest of the condo. I applaud your idea of painting all the walls, save the accent wall, the same. You might think of adding a cool color as an accent if the rest of the walls are warm toned, or a warm toned accent wall if the rest of the walls are cool.

I hope some of these ideas helpl Have fun!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating