U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 01:58 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,612,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
IMO, it is garish. BUT it is for your home, and your home should be decorated by you to please you.

Almost none of the paintings and prints I have evoke enthusiastic, positive comments. And the somewhat largish, brightly painted carved wooden statue of Shiva made in south India in the living room gets bug-eyed looks at first and then prompts sneaky, side-ways glances if people hang around.

However, I am comfortable with it all, and by all means get that painting if you like it.
LOL, I can just imagine that.
My mom has this carved wooden mask of an Indian goddess of love or something, we all love it because it has sentimental value as a gift and a good luck charm; but objectively it's a bit strange looking and we've had many guests ask '...what...is that?'

But yea I get that art is for me blah blah. BUT like I said, I also want my house to look nice and don't want visitors to think I've got bad taste I have some things in my home that I love and that have special meaning to me even if they may not be to everyone's taste. But this is something I want to buy mainly for aesthetic appeal so I don't want to spend money only to have it look bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 02:02 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,612,765 times
I guess a follow-up question would be: is there such a thing as relatively cheap artwork, which doesn't LOOK cheap? (not photography as we've got enough of that at home). Or does that not exist?

Old 09-16-2014, 02:12 PM

484 posts, read 641,585 times
I think he paints light very well and find his style fun.

There are all sorts of price points for artwork. Most standard prints on Etsy go for around $18. Originals usually start from $40 upwards. Who is to say what is bad art? I did nearly all the art in my home, to my liking and decor - I can't imagine caring what other people think about what I hang on my walls?

Edit to Add - kind of reminds me of these two : Sidorov

Old 09-16-2014, 02:15 PM

41,246 posts, read 59,570,416 times
I think artwork looks cheap if in a cheap looking frame (plastic, or overly ornamental, too heavy, or just plain wrong), or prints on cheap paper. The theme alone - no. Some people like Rembrandt, others love Picasso, or Kandinsky ...
and spend hours discussing:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._moma_2006.jpg
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_CwSYMd9KuC...0/DSC_2440.JPG
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee,
Minnesota, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 09-16-2014, 02:41 PM

25,348 posts, read 16,307,209 times
It looks as if the linked artwork is "recreated", perhaps of a larger original. But the medium is oil on canvas. I would check to see what this really is. Is it brushwork over a print? Was the original larger?

Basically, if you love something, put it in your house. Don't expect it to be valuable, unless you can afford to buy from a nice gallery, or directly from an artist whose works are valuable.

Some of us like some things and other like other things. At this price, you can afford to splurge, if you truly like it, and enjoy it, whether or not it is "tacky." But a tipoff is the discounted price. No artist discounts his or her works like that, unless they aren't selling at the higher price. If you love it, get more info from a person before you buy. But I see no reason why not to buy it if you know what you are getting upfront.

Old 09-16-2014, 02:51 PM

484 posts, read 641,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
No artist discounts his or her works like that, unless they aren't selling at the higher price. If you love it, get more info from a person before you buy. But I see no reason why not to buy it if you know what you are getting upfront.
Depends on how established one is. I do custom originals for just over $100, and while I *am* a professional (in that I am hired to do just that) I am not a high profile artist. I don't really think just because I have a low price point, I do tacky art.

Old 09-16-2014, 03:07 PM

5,444 posts, read 5,169,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Wonder that that really means though.... I never heard of a reproduction/copy/whatever being called a recreation!
I think it is called a "recreation" because the artist is doing the work themselves and just using the original as a reference. Because it is paint, it is not going to be an exact copy of the original. Just my hunch though.

edit... also because when people see the word 'copy','duplicate','reproduction', you automatically assume that they slapped the original on a scanner and printed the image.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:06 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,212,223 times
He explains on the site what he means by "recreation" and there's also a link to a video to explain it. It's still an original piece of art, but he isn't putting any thought into it, just looking at the original and trying to recreate it, as many times a day as he has orders.
Leonid Afremov, Oil on canvas, palette knife, buy Original Paintings, art, famous artist, Recreation, official page, online gallery

Old 09-17-2014, 10:46 AM

3,763 posts, read 10,976,479 times
OP -

I agree with others that its your home, you should definitely decorate it with items that YOU love!

That said, I clicked on the link a little hesitantly (because of some of the initial comments by people who thought it wasn't to their tastes) - and was surprised by how much I really love it!

Really lively and bold and fun! I choose to think it is a couple walking in Paris under the fall trees... but really it could be anywhere.

It would really be a statement piece - I think its great. Unframed it would look quite modern, however if you're willing to invest in a frame - it could really look great either modern or more traditional.

Be warned though - frames can be quite costly.

I have had several pieces reframed (I buy old paintings from antique stores that I like, not by any listed artists, but just paintings I love and get them reframed -- often the frame costs 3x the cost of the painting).

I really love the painting - but even if I didn't - its your dining room, decorate it with joy and love it!!

Old 09-17-2014, 11:32 AM

21,981 posts, read 13,004,242 times
It's not my personal taste. But it's not inherently tacky or anything. If you love it and it will make you happy to look at, and it happens to fit your budget, then go for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating