U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 09:40 PM

47,361 posts, read 45,785,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
Just curious to get people's opinions: do you think these paintings are pretty or tacky?
Leonid Afremov, oil on canvas, palette knife, buy original paintings, art, famous artists, biography, official page, online gallery, fall alley, autumn, park, landscape, trees, forest, leaf, garden, night, rain, outdoors, large artwork, fine

I want a big colorful piece of art to brighten up my very neutral dining room. I don't want to commit to anything expensive, but also don't want it to look tacky or cheap.
Personally these seem a bit tacky to me, but at the same time I can't help but love how they look, the colors are so pleasing and uplifting and I feel it would just make me happy to look at. But I don't want it to 'cheapen' our house.

Would these be considered in the same vein as Kinkade paintings we've discussed here a while ago?
And does anyone have suggestions for sources of nice colorful art, possibly abstract, that's not expensive yet not the $20 HomeGoods style, and that won't look dated in a few years?
It reminds me of the Roybal paintings they had at starving artist parties in the 1990s:

J Roybal Paintings, Painting by Roybal

I consider it on the same level as a Kinkade print.

When we were first decorating, I liked to use museum prints of famous works, like:

Grazing Horses IV (The Red Horses) - Franz Marc - WikiArt.org

I would go to the MOMA website and look at their prints:

http://www.momastore.org/museum/moma...%20+%20Posters

With quality framing, you can have a really nice piece for under $200.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 09:51 PM

3,408 posts, read 4,732,871 times
It is garish, and trendy in my opinion. I don't think it will stand the test of time and you won't resell it for what you paid. I agree with Wmsn4Life museums have spectacular prints that can be framed and look great in your home.

Old 09-19-2014, 08:42 AM

1,167 posts, read 1,150,958 times
If you like it, and it goes with your home, pay for some quality framing and stick it on your wall.

You're the one that lives in your home and you're decorating it to your style, not that of occasional visitors.

Old 09-19-2014, 10:03 AM

3,281 posts, read 4,972,083 times
I like that style of painting and would hang it in my house. I guess it just goes to show how taste specific art is; I would never hang that horse painting linked above in my house. I don't live on a prairie and I don't like horses! If you like it, you should get it.

Personally, I would rather get something hand painted by an actual person than a print of something that was made by someone famous a hundred years ago. Every person in the universe seems to have prints of famous art; there's no intrigue there for me because they are so common now. I want something at least semi-unique. I'm sure people think the art I have in my house is horribly tacky since I painted most of it myself. That said, when we sold our last house the buyers wanted every single painting I did and, oddly enough, didn't want the 2 professional paintings we had that we had paid quite a bit of money for! So, I guess I'll just count that as a win and forget what everyone else thinks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating