U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 01:18 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,612,765 times

Advertisements

Just curious to get people's opinions: do you think these paintings are pretty or tacky?
Leonid Afremov, oil on canvas, palette knife, buy original paintings, art, famous artists, biography, official page, online gallery, fall alley, autumn, park, landscape, trees, forest, leaf, garden, night, rain, outdoors, large artwork, fine

I want a big colorful piece of art to brighten up my very neutral dining room. I don't want to commit to anything expensive, but also don't want it to look tacky or cheap.
Personally these seem a bit tacky to me, but at the same time I can't help but love how they look, the colors are so pleasing and uplifting and I feel it would just make me happy to look at. But I don't want it to 'cheapen' our house.

Would these be considered in the same vein as Kinkade paintings we've discussed here a while ago?
And does anyone have suggestions for sources of nice colorful art, possibly abstract, that's not expensive yet not the $20 HomeGoods style, and that won't look dated in a few years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 01:21 PM

20,419 posts, read 39,109,823 times
Not pretty, not tacky... but cheap, and not MY style.

But if YOU like it, go for it! I fail to see how one painting you love can cheapen your house.

Old 09-16-2014, 01:22 PM

41,228 posts, read 59,553,532 times
I don't think so. Art is matter of taste. If you like it, and it fits with your interior, then who are we to tell you not to do it?
You should not decorate your home based on other people opinion. It's your home.
I like it too

Not sure how $3,500 painting is "cheap".
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee,
Minnesota, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 09-16-2014, 01:25 PM

The link above took me to the page that said this:
Title: FAREWELL TO ANGER by Leonid Afremov

Size: 24"x36" (60cm x 90cm)

Condition: Excellent Brand New

Gallery Estimated Value: $3,500

Medium: 100% hand painted oil painiting on Canvas by Leonid Afremov - Recreation of an older painting

Signed by Leonid Afremov, Certificate of Authenticity provided.

the certificate of authenticity will include the name of the owner who purchased the piece of artwork. The certificate is signed by Leonid Afremov. If you buying this painting as a gift, please provide us the name of the gift recipient for the certificate. We can also ship to the address of the recipient of your gift.

79%
Size 24"x36" (60cm x 90cm) ID: 1637
Location Boca Raton, Florida

Regular price: $650.00
Today price: $139.00

It is NOT a $3,500 gallery original.... it is a "recreation" of one.

Old 09-16-2014, 01:34 PM

Oh, OK.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee,
Minnesota, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 09-16-2014, 01:35 PM

13,515 posts, read 14,941,260 times
IMO, it is garish. BUT it is for your home, and your home should be decorated by you to please you.

Almost none of the paintings and prints I have evoke enthusiastic, positive comments. And the somewhat largish, brightly painted carved wooden statue of Shiva made in south India in the living room gets bug-eyed looks at first and then prompts sneaky, side-ways glances if people hang around.

However, I am comfortable with it all, and by all means get that painting if you like it.

Old 09-16-2014, 01:36 PM

Wonder that that really means though.... I never heard of a reproduction/copy/whatever being called a recreation!

Old 09-16-2014, 01:46 PM

Copy of canvas oil prints or oil paintings is a replica, non-original recreation, recreation (re-creation) of original composition.

Old 09-16-2014, 01:48 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,612,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Wonder that that really means though.... I never heard of a reproduction/copy/whatever being called a recreation!
I believe it's because the artist himself is the one painting these reproductions?

Old 09-16-2014, 01:49 PM

33,068 posts, read 61,890,891 times
Why are people so worried about what other people think?

It's your house! Decorate it as you please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating