Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 12:19 PM

157 posts, read 499,063 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone!

I attached some pictures of our front door area...(we got some rot issues with some of our front door trim molding - we are in the middle of replacing this.) Since we will be working on our door trim, we decided we would like to add some color to our wood sections of our front door and sidelights! (The door and sidelights have trim around the glass area.)

My house is a Sherwin Williams Mocha 6067, and the house trim is a dark chocolate brown color. All of the window trim is white (just like the window above our door)...we do NOT want to paint those - we will keep them white.

I need advice/suggestions on colors for door & trim??

(Storm door is full screen - I also have an all glass one)
Front Door - Paint Color Help-phpogefhuam.jpg
Front Door - Paint Color Help-php5jdmuaam.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 01:24 PM

18,461 posts, read 31,608,337 times
While I personally would have liked the door brown, like the trim on the peak of your house, you can't, because the window above the door is trimmed in white, the door needs to be white to match it, otherwise the window will look out of place.

Too bad the window wasn't brown, then the doors could have been brown.
I don't really care for the white with that house color, but sometimes it cannot be helped.

Maybe also hunter green, but then again, the white window over the door will stick out like a sore thumb.
I think we need to see a full face of the home to really give a better idea.

For color, I like the greens with the mochas. Maybe a burnt rust / orange? golds? yellows?

if though you want color, then i think the sotrm door should be the same color though. I cant imagine a colored door and sidelights then a white stoem door, sore thumb, is all i can think of.

if the door was green and then you can get a green storm door, that would look nice.
maybe in the sidelights you can have the glass, stained glass with a pattern to make color.

Old 09-18-2014, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
While I personally would have liked the door brown, like the trim on the peak of your house, you can't, because the window above the door is trimmed in white, the door needs to be white to match it
What if I leave all the trim around the door area white along with the little trim that surrounds the glass areas of the glass sections? Leave the storm door white too? I would only paint the inserts?

That's exactly why I'm having so much trouble deciding...that white! (I attached a pic of the house...windows all have that white trim)

Front Door - Paint Color Help-house.jpg

Old 09-18-2014, 08:05 PM

18,461 posts, read 31,608,337 times
ok, I think you can just paint the side lights a color of your choice. luckily it isnt a large amount so if you dont like the color you can paint it over.

what about the garage doors, could they be the same color as the side lights? would that be too much color?

maybe the garage doors could be white to balance the house with the white windows???? they are too blah the brown they are now though.

Old 09-18-2014, 11:39 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,007,271 times
I've heard a red front door is lucky. At least you'd be able to find it easily, I'd expect.

Old 09-19-2014, 07:22 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,886,085 times
Paint the door and the sidelights the same dark brown as the trim. Leave the garage doors alone.

Put a planter in front of that "column" between the double garage and the RV garage with a smallish green shrub to add interest over there.

Old 09-19-2014, 07:47 AM

9,283 posts, read 14,885,573 times
To me, that house is crying out for color. It looks so gloomy to me. Door could be bright cranberry red, or as the another poster suggested, some shade of yellow or gold or even a light bright blue. You might also pick up the same accent color in flower pots in the yard or some other decorative accessory- something to brighten up the picture! Maybe highlight that raised element that's on the top of the garage.

Old 09-19-2014, 08:31 AM

1,166 posts, read 1,379,390 times
I agree, a bright red or blue (turquoise would really pop against the brown) would really liven it up.

Old 09-19-2014, 11:59 AM

Thank you all for your suggestions!!

Old 09-19-2014, 07:35 PM

146 posts, read 293,418 times
My home is light tan with with darker tan/brown trim. All the windows and doors have white vinyl trim. The doors are deep purple (Behr Napa Harvest). We kept the sidelights white. IMO, the purple doors really brighten up the place yet blend well the browns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating