U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 09:17 AM

36 posts, read 41,511 times

Advertisements

Thanks fellas... yea I like the way the floor turn out... glad I choose porcelain tile instead of laminate or wood. Installing the baseboards today

planning to replace the fireplace door with something like this... and repaint to bricks in gray or white.

http://images.lowes.com/product/conv...2076012030.jpg

Shop Pleasant Hearth Easton Black Large Cabinet-Style Fireplace Doors with Smoke Tempered Glass Glass at Lowes.com

Last edited by Beretta; 10-25-2014 at 07:04 PM.. Reason: copyright
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2014, 10:31 AM

5,075 posts, read 8,909,900 times
Great improvement. I'd try painting the fireplace a slate gray before deciding to tile over it. Normally I'm against painting natural stone but that rock really doesn't fit with the room.

I'm curious why you decided to go with wood grain porcelain tile. I've seen a bunch of it in the bog box stores and it looks pretty good, just not a material I'd given much consideration to.

Old 09-23-2014, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
Great improvement. I'd try painting the fireplace a slate gray before deciding to tile over it. Normally I'm against painting natural stone but that rock really doesn't fit with the room.

I'm curious why you decided to go with wood grain porcelain tile. I've seen a bunch of it in the bog box stores and it looks pretty good, just not a material I'd given much consideration to.
The reason why we went with porcelain tiles is because we have three dogs that stays indoor. Heres a quick photoshop of a diff fireplace.

Old 09-23-2014, 10:45 AM

2,885 posts, read 3,613,998 times
Looking great!

Old 09-23-2014, 10:47 AM

47,295 posts, read 45,670,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r1cky68 View Post
The reason why we went with porcelain tiles is because we have three dogs that stays indoor. Heres a quick photoshop of a diff fireplace.
I like the stone. I think a more substantial wood mantel would make the difference.

Old 09-23-2014, 11:57 AM

5,075 posts, read 8,909,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I like the stone. I think a more substantial wood mantel would make the difference.
I had that thought as well, perhaps something like a rough wood beam in a similar color to the floor. After seeing the Photo shop, I'd clean up the stone as best possible before making a decision. It actually looks pretty good with the new front.

Old 09-23-2014, 01:07 PM

1,149 posts, read 2,002,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r1cky68 View Post
You are doing a fantastic job! I think that fireplace cover works great and would look really good with stacked stone instead of the existing stone. They have the veneer panels, ledgestone or something like that, and I'm sure that you, or whoever did the floor, could easily demo the existing stone and install it.

Once you start, it just snowballs .

Old 09-23-2014, 01:57 PM

86 posts, read 112,581 times
Looks great! Can't wait to see more pictures!

Old 09-23-2014, 04:09 PM

323 posts, read 646,314 times
I really like the flooring you chose. I think you once you put the new face on the fireplace, that stone might actually work too. I would swap out the mantel for a big hefty timber mantel shelf--no corbels, just a straight shelf--and see how it looks. If it still doesn't suit, I'd look into doing what PennyLane suggested and using a veneer over the existing stone. I would not paint it.

Old 09-25-2014, 12:00 AM

Ran into a little issue today... Now that the kitchen is opened with the living and dinning room. Time to paint the ceiling... The contractor suggested leaving the kitchen area gloss white because of cooking stains. And the rest of the room texture white.

I was thinking it might look weird with a line / border dividing the kitchen and living / dinning room???

Should I paint the kitchen area ceiling gloss white and the living and dinning room texture white? And have a border paint of gloss and texture paint between kitchen and living / dinning room?

Or paint the entire ceiling one color? Gloss white or texture.

Anyone got some suggestions? Thanks.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating