U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 06:58 AM

323 posts, read 647,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1cky68 View Post
Ran into a little issue today... Now that the kitchen is opened with the living and dinning room. Time to paint the ceiling... The contractor suggested leaving the kitchen area gloss white because of cooking stains. And the rest of the room texture white.

I was thinking it might look weird with a line / border dividing the kitchen and living / dinning room???

Should I paint the kitchen area ceiling gloss white and the living and dinning room texture white? And have a border paint of gloss and texture paint between kitchen and living / dinning room?

Or paint the entire ceiling one color? Gloss white or texture.

Anyone got some suggestions? Thanks.

I'm not sure what "texture white" is, but if it's that funky paint with granules mixed in; I would encourage you not to add any texture to the ceiling if there isn't any there already. I have always had just flat white ceiling paint in my kitchens and it was never a problem. I'm not sure what kind of cooking you do that stains on the ceiling are a concern. You know to put the top on the blender before you start it, right?

If you really want to do two separate ceiling finishes, IMHO you are going to need a hard division. A big square of gloss paint abutting flat paint would make me think you had some kind of ceiling damage and did a bad job of touch up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2014, 10:09 AM

36 posts, read 41,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyWhnChasd View Post
I'm not sure what "texture white" is, but if it's that funky paint with granules mixed in; I would encourage you not to add any texture to the ceiling if there isn't any there already. I have always had just flat white ceiling paint in my kitchens and it was never a problem. I'm not sure what kind of cooking you do that stains on the ceiling are a concern. You know to put the top on the blender before you start it, right?

If you really want to do two separate ceiling finishes, IMHO you are going to need a hard division. A big square of gloss paint abutting flat paint would make me think you had some kind of ceiling damage and did a bad job of touch up.
Texture white is the original white paint that's on the living / dinning room ceiling (non-gloss, flat white) probably going to do all flat white then...

Old 09-25-2014, 10:14 AM

2,885 posts, read 3,620,080 times
When we remodel our kitchen we made sure to purchase a high end hood/exhaust fan system, was worth it we never have food stains. If it was I, I want it all to look the same, it always looks strange in my book. I like my eye to just flow....

Old 09-25-2014, 10:41 AM

906 posts, read 1,380,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r1cky68 View Post
Texture white is the original white paint that's on the living / dinning room ceiling (non-gloss, flat white) probably going to do all flat white then...
I would do flat white in the entire area and make sure you have kitchen ventilation to the outside.

Old 09-27-2014, 02:13 AM

moving day...

Old 09-27-2014, 03:19 AM

10,321 posts, read 19,765,521 times
You could define the kitchen area by dropping the ceiling in there by a few inches. Or putting a beam line up near the ceiling to sort of mark off the kitchen space visually even if it's still open. Or a line of boxed uplights around the edge of the kitchen ceiling. Or put in in the tops of the doorways (with really tall doorways) and have that extend through the cut out window area as well. Just most anything to mark the kitchen area on the ceiling.

Was that corner that was removed structural in any way?

Old 09-27-2014, 09:50 AM

1,683 posts, read 3,163,785 times
Definitely paint it all the same. Years from now, if there are stains in the kitchen area, just repaint that area with the same flat paint.

Old 10-22-2014, 09:28 AM

updated kitchen cabinet

Old 10-22-2014, 10:29 AM

2,885 posts, read 3,620,080 times
Sweet~

Old 10-22-2014, 11:36 AM

6,032 posts, read 7,869,561 times
Nice work! Did you use a rustoleum product to update the cabinet color?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating