U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 01:09 PM

3,408 posts, read 4,732,871 times

Advertisements

Good suggestions all, but my question is: what is under the steps with the other brown chair? Why is there a chair under there? Or is that a mirror reflecting the living room?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2014, 01:45 PM

43,012 posts, read 95,112,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
Good suggestions all, but my question is: what is under the steps with the other brown chair? Why is there a chair under there? Or is that a mirror reflecting the living room?
It's the third piece to match the lighter brown sofa set. My guess is it's under the steps because there's no room for it in the living room with all of the other furniture

Old 09-25-2014, 11:47 PM

4,524 posts, read 4,211,198 times
I noticed that, too.

Old 09-26-2014, 02:05 PM

3 posts, read 3,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
It's the third piece to match the lighter brown sofa set. My guess is it's under the steps because there's no room for it in the living room with all of the other furniture
It is indeed there because there is no space anywhere else. I'm actually going to be getting rid of that loveseat pretty soon. It's sitting there temporarily.

Old 09-26-2014, 08:01 PM

3,408 posts, read 4,732,871 times
Thanks for clarifying that, yes it is a lot of furniture. Good thing you are getting rid of it.

Old 09-26-2014, 09:40 PM

50,729 posts, read 40,119,236 times
OP get rid of one more while you're at it. Seriously - or store them or let someone borrow them or put them in another room. If I were you I'd pare down to one large sofa centered in front of that TV, and the two chairs one on either side of that sofa, with a big round cocktail ottoman (richly patterned fabric) with matching/coordinating pillows on the sofa and chairs. Add some indirect lighting as well - larger than those standing lamps you have - they're too small. And yes - add a houseplant over by the window.

You have good bones but you need some COLOR AND LIFE in that room.

Old 09-29-2014, 07:58 AM

4 posts, read 2,856 times
I agree with Bmachina.
You need to bring light and clarity to the living room. If you have not considered changing the furniture, you can put a couch covers and cushions in clearer tones. Change the coffee table and put another bigger and square. Some flowers in a vase. That also gives you colorful. And I would change the tv table to another larger tv stand.

Also, I like the suggestion of Hopes. If you put the TV in the corner that will give the room a feeling of spaciousness.

Old 09-30-2014, 06:42 PM

25,466 posts, read 16,415,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
If brightening is the goal, I would paint the walls a very pale, misty blue. Think Cape Cod and the ocean.

The pre existing white shutters, white stair case, and white tile floor would go well with this color. Get rid of the plastic tv stand and the coffee table, and replace with some white painted furniture pieces to tie in with the white floor, windows and stairs.

I would throw lighter slip covers over those ultra modern, masculine, dark, cube chairs, and add accent pillows with whites, blues and browns in the pattern, to the brown side sofas.

These rooms may not be your style, but they can give you an idea of how the blue/white/brown color palette can work together with all the brown and white you already have. These rooms contain all the elements you already have to work with, the dark woods floors, the light tile floors, the dark brown couches and the white painted trim. You are only missing the accents and wall color:

]http://cmoii.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/living-room-interior-architecture-light-blue-wall-feat-white-ceiling-and-white-leather-four-pillow-couch-set-delightful-sunroom-furnishing-design-ideas-599x399.jpg
What Bmachina said.

When you get that yellow paint covered with a cool light tone, the warm tones of the other stuff will look better. I don't know if I would add white furniture though. But you could definitely add lighter toned wood furniture. The present TV holder is too puny for the rest of the stuff in the room, so start there and with a paint can.

Last edited by Beretta; 10-25-2014 at 07:12 PM..

Old 10-06-2014, 04:47 PM

2,087 posts, read 2,014,476 times
I love your furniture. I am going for much the same look. Warm, comfy earth and sky feel. Lots of dark browns wood grain and leather. Honestly I think you need to change your wall color for something a bit lighter. If you don't want to go with something like the blue someone posted I went with a very pale creamy brown color. I have Valspar paint and the color is called cream in my coffee. I also do have accents in a similar pale blue to what was posted. But just things like pillows and linens.

I wold also suggest a tall green plant (ficus?) or an orchid on a small side table, on that bit of wall to the right of the arched doorway.

Old 10-18-2014, 06:13 AM

11 posts, read 19,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
That room needs a red rug.

There's way too much furniture in that small room. Edit something out.
Hmm, rug is one of the best decorative items that is used for interior decoration, there is also few advantages of it such as by using it you can easily hide annoying stain, provides thermal resistance, room makeover be done such as it makes an appearance good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating