U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2014, 08:31 AM

2,865 posts, read 1,890,947 times

Advertisements

I am looking for advice on window treatments for a casement window. The Hunter Douglas blackout cellular shade that was on the casement window in what used to be a bedroom but is now my office died last night (with an assist from me, to be honest, although I was trying to revive it, not kill it). It was here when we bought the house in May, never stayed up properly, and while it would have been okay for a bedroom, is not suited to an office.

Now I have my choice of window treatments, and I'm trying to figure out what would work best. When I sit at my desk, the window is directly in front of me, and it faces west. With nothing on the window, when I am working in the late afternoon, the sun is blinding and very hot.

I am hopeless at home décor and don't even know what all is out there. It doesn't seem reasonable to try to get in a decorator for this one tiny window in an office no one sees, but we have access to a great handyman who can put up anything we purchase.

Any ideas? I would ideally like a shade or blind that will let in some air from the open window while protecting my eyes from the glare. And I'm hoping to avoid the irritating "clunk clunk" of a partly drawn shade repeatedly hitting the window frame when the window is open and there is a breeze.

I kind of like the idea and look of swing-away curtain rods, but I don't know if that would be appropriate.

Thanks much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2014, 11:22 AM

33,072 posts, read 61,890,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
I kind of like the idea and look of swing-away curtain rods, but I don't know if that would be appropriate.
If you like it, it's appropriate.

Old 09-23-2014, 12:25 PM

3,403 posts, read 4,719,617 times
If you own this home maybe you should consider an awning on the outside to shade the window and keep the heat at bay a bit.

Old 09-23-2014, 04:21 PM

13,394 posts, read 51,357,936 times
Faux wood blind-
and they come with hardware where you can mount them so they don't swing.

Another option to consider- solar film.

Old 09-24-2014, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
If you like it, it's appropriate.
Thanks--I meant more, would it meet my requirements, rather than if it would look okay. What was in there before looked hideous, so whatever I do will probably be an improvement, but my office is pretty spartan, and I didn't know if it would look a little frou-frou to have swing away curtains.

Old 09-24-2014, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
If you own this home maybe you should consider an awning on the outside to shade the window and keep the heat at bay a bit.
Thanks for the suggestion. I think I want to keep the entire sky visible when the sun isn't in the west, and we don't have awnings on any of the other windows.

Old 09-24-2014, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Faux wood blind-
and they come with hardware where you can mount them so they don't swing.

Another option to consider- solar film.
Thanks for the suggestion! After thinking over the options I know of, I do feel blinds would probably would have most of the features I am looking for.

I never thought of solar film, I wonder if it changes how colors look from inside?

Old 09-26-2014, 04:30 AM

13 posts, read 12,539 times
Irootoo,

Solar film idea is good but it will surely change colors look from inside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating