Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2014, 11:52 AM

671 posts, read 900,778 times

Advertisements

Need some help. Trying to buy couch(es) for my living room, but it is a bit of an odd one. [See Attached Image]

Only 1 outlet is grounded (2 other non-grounded)
We have a picture window on the left-hand side (only window in the room)
No cable outlet yet (so need to pick a place to run it to)
Fireplace (which I plan on using)

-I was thinking of putting the TV (corner stand) in the top left hand corner, that way I can use that grounded outlet via power strip, extension cord, etc. I would set the cable up through a wall/floor in that corner.
-Sectional couch that is 90" by 120" up against the right wall and the stairs. Only problem with this is that I'm worried it might block flow from the kitchen to the living room. In the top right hand corner a chair (maybe?). Maybe a second couch/loveseat against the picture window (but that would be right next to the TV, and might block access getting between sectional and couch and into the living room).

Any other ideas? I would rather NOT mount the TV above the fireplace, I'm not sure if the heat and smoke would ruin the TV, and I don't want cables hanging around in that area. The old owner had a loveseat on the left and a couch on the right facing each other, but no TV. I don't think that set-up will work with a TV.

Any ideas are appreciated... thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Need Help With Living Room Set Up-living-room-diagram.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2014, 04:24 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
Get an electrician to fix the outlets and/or put one in where you want to have the TV.

And if you can post some photos in addition to the diagram, it would help people give better ideas about furniture placement.

Old 09-25-2014, 01:13 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,216,301 times
Do you have any cable hookups in that room for the tv?

Yes you do have to get an electrician to figure out your plug in problems, you need more than one grounded outlet under the window.

How big is your mantlepiece over the fireplace, that would protect the tv a bit if you have to put it there.

And pictures would really help, I'd like to see the fireplace wall

Old 09-25-2014, 04:31 PM

671 posts, read 900,778 times
Some pictures.

All that furniture is going (minus the TV and mirror). I'd rather not hang the TV above the fireplace because I'm worried heat might damage it plus wires would have to go from TV down.

I'm thinking Loveseat against window, sofa opposite, recliner in corner by stairs.
Attached Thumbnails
Need Help With Living Room Set Up-20140925_173926.jpg   Need Help With Living Room Set Up-20140925_173946.jpg   Need Help With Living Room Set Up-20140925_174002.jpg  

Old 09-25-2014, 06:37 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,216,301 times
You do need to address the outlet situation, is that in your budget at all? The fireplace seems to be really leaving a lot of soot on the bricks, the flue must not be working right? Are you planning on using the fireplace? fixing it and cleaning it up? The huge tv is very awkward in the corner like that. It might get too crowded with both a couch and a loveseat. Maybe you could try 2 nice chairs and an end table in front of the window.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating