U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 08:52 AM

1 posts, read 591 times

Advertisements

Nice room eerieglamour! Have you ever considered getting a wall decal though? They have the ability to make the whole room blend without much effort at all. I used to have blank walls like yourself till my wife recommended I get a wall art sticker. We googled 'Infinity Wall Art' and found these epic tree designs that went above our sofa. I'm sure you will find one of that colour scheme or even better, good luck mate!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2014, 06:39 PM

6,009 posts, read 3,557,875 times
I love that lamp shade! Very fun! I'd get a brightly colored fluffy, comfy throw ( not a piddly little one, but one you can actually cuddle up with) for the sofa. Maybe check etsy for one "grab your eye" pillow that incorporates your sense of humor and style.

I'd carry some of the color from the shades over to the wall with the TV. Maybe three pieces of art, hung one above the other in a vertical line?
You could pull the sofa closer to the TV and put a console behind the sofa. Maybe some colorful pottery and fresh flowers on the table?

The cocktail table is lots of fun and it looks like a room that would be comfy to hang out in.

Old 10-05-2014, 06:28 AM

2,081 posts, read 2,007,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claircon View Post
Hi everyone!

I'm new to this forum. I registered because I'm decorating my new house and I wanted to get some ideas.
I read this topic and I wanted to answer you because last year I had the same problem in my old house. Tried to solve it in different ways but none convinced me.
One of my friends told me to search through internet. I found a website that sells second-hand furniture. It was very useful for me. I bought floor lamps and a few colourful cushions and my house looked amazing!
I love going into second hand shops. I have furnished my entire apartment with some wonderful pieces of furniture and accessories that I have found in local consignment and thrift stores.

Love the wall stickers above. I have a big blank spot on one of my walls that I keep thinking could use something like that.

Old 10-05-2014, 08:00 AM

39,098 posts, read 48,048,649 times
I think your instincts are fine. I see the edge of a picture or mirror above the sofa, and it is hung too high. It should have a relationship with the sofa, instead of just floating aimlessly above.
If it were me, I would have used the bold pattern on the pillows, not the lampshades, but that is personal preference. I would pull the coffee table closer to the sofa, and nudge the chair closer too.

There is a book I really find helpful when I'm trying to put a room together and I'm not quite sure what is bothering me. It is Decorating for Good, by Carole Talbot, (a step by step guide to arranging what you already have). It advises to treat each wall individually. Each plane will have a focal point, with your eye traveling a path (not bouncing from one place to another). For example, the bottom of the picture over your sofa should be about 6" above the back of the sofa. Now there is a path your eye will follow that is balanced. The author calls it peaks and valleys. Top of lampshades, up to top of frame, down to top of lamp. It makes a satisfying shape that is pleasing to the eye.
Some people can do this instinctively, and I usually can, but when I'm stumped the book helps me.

Old 10-06-2014, 08:14 PM

7 posts, read 4,079 times
Hi everyone!
I’m just new to this forum and I joined to this forum because I really love decorating my room.
If you like a colorful appearance of your room, I guess, you have to change the color of your sofa and the color of your wall as well. Something like mint green will look good in your room, and try to change your pillowcase too. I hope it will help!

Old 10-07-2014, 08:44 AM

12,478 posts, read 15,441,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChloeFields View Post
Hi everyone!
I’m just new to this forum and I joined to this forum because I really love decorating my room.
If you like a colorful appearance of your room, I guess, you have to change the color of your sofa and the color of your wall as well. Something like mint green will look good in your room, and try to change your pillowcase too. I hope it will help!

hi Chloe!! I agree with going with a mint green

Old 10-07-2014, 08:56 AM

14,184 posts, read 15,249,008 times
at the very least change the toss [pillows to pick up one of the bright colors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating