U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 03:14 PM

3 posts, read 9,812 times

Advertisements

I wanted lamp shade to be the color scheme for my living room. But my couch seems too dark to flow with the bright colors, Open to all suggestions. FYI i like bright colors but open to darker colors. HELP PLEASE!
Attached Thumbnails
Need help with my living room!-fullsizerender.jpg   Need help with my living room!-img_8517.jpg   Need help with my living room!-img_8518.jpg   Need help with my living room!-img_8519.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2014, 06:11 PM

43,012 posts, read 94,946,213 times
I love where you're going with this. I would totally put a turquoise sofa in that room!

Check this out: http://cdn.homedit.com/wp-content/up...blue-sofa1.jpg

Old 09-23-2014, 10:53 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,612,107 times
The sofa doesn't flow with the style or color scheme of the lamps and the rest of the room; if you can change it, it would make a huge difference to the overall look since the sofa is such a large major element in a room, you won't get the feel you're going for with this one. You need something a lot 'lighter', design-wise, with clean lines, like Hopes posted, funkier and more modern; mid-century modern styles would work really well here too. If you don't want to commit to a bright colored sofa I'd go with a white or a gray, which would be a great crisp background to the brighter colors - you could echo the lamp colors with pillows and throws. Think lots of white, light tones to set off the bright colors without looking too busy.

Old 09-23-2014, 11:00 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,612,107 times
if you don't want to spend much, something like the Ikea Klippan would look great here, in white or grey: KLIPPAN Loveseat - Granån white - IKEA

Old 09-23-2014, 11:04 PM

5,626 posts, read 5,389,890 times
I dont see the problem. It bring in the brown from the chair, etc.

Old 09-24-2014, 12:08 AM

50,000 posts, read 39,777,061 times
In an ideal world - change the sofa entirely. A mid century modern sofa in a pink or orange, or even a green or rich blue - any of the colors from those fabulous lamp shades - would be FANTASTIC.

However, if you can't afford to change out the sofa, then get a LOT more colorful with those throw pillows - definitely some pinks and oranges and a zap of green or blue. A bold stripe in those colors on one or two pillows would be divine, but so would a chevron pattern. Then buy a luscious, richly textured throw in pink or orange and fling it across one side of the sofa.

Cute stuff - I love the direction you're taking the room.

Old 09-25-2014, 01:05 PM

3,399 posts, read 4,718,190 times
If you can't get rid of the couch add the couch color around the room. Brown pillow on the chair, Brown drapes on the window pulled open, Brown large pottery with your other colors foliage in them.

Old 09-25-2014, 02:36 PM

2,079 posts, read 2,004,450 times
I like the furniture. Your color palette is similar to mine. I would just got with a solid single color lamp shade instead of the pattered one you have. Personally I like to keep my large expensive items in neutral colors and use small items for my color accents. That way it is a lot less expensive when you decide you want to change your accent color.

Old 09-25-2014, 03:26 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,952,165 times
I agree with the above poster: In an ideal situation ( and you were designing using someone else's money) a lighter sofa would be wonderful but I also think what you have could work as well. It will keep the room from becoming too childish. I would sofa as a neutral and add color in other ways. A colorful area rug to delineate the seating area and a mix of colorful pillows on the sofa and chair ( keeping the brown/tan) as the unifying color. Right now the walls, the rug and the sofa blend together so throws, wall art and pictures in colorful hues would brighten the whole room.

Old 09-26-2014, 08:27 AM

4 posts, read 2,847 times
Hi everyone!

I'm new to this forum. I registered because I'm decorating my new house and I wanted to get some ideas.
I read this topic and I wanted to answer you because last year I had the same problem in my old house. Tried to solve it in different ways but none convinced me.
One of my friends told me to search through internet. I found a website that sells second-hand furniture. It was very useful for me. I bought floor lamps and a few colourful cushions and my house looked amazing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating