U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 01:16 PM

5,075 posts, read 8,901,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glopop11 View Post
Yes, I'm not trying to add value. I'm trying to not turn people away when they see the old nasty carpet.
We're in the process of removing 2 year old carpet that was put in to replace the old nasty stuff prior to sale. It kind of sucks to be dumping 2 year old carpet but it has't held up well. It was, however, nice to be able to move things into the house without NEEDING to replace old carpet immediately, but it seems like a waste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 01:56 PM

20,419 posts, read 39,104,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
We're in the process of removing 2 year old carpet that was put in to replace the old nasty stuff prior to sale. It kind of sucks to be dumping 2 year old carpet but it has't held up well. It was, however, nice to be able to move things into the house without NEEDING to replace old carpet immediately, but it seems like a waste.
Yep.
That is why - in my area, at least - a flooring allowance is preferred.

Old 09-25-2014, 06:52 AM

33,066 posts, read 61,882,928 times
If you're having the carpet replaced for a sale, I'd say carpet all rooms with the same material.

If you were replacing carpet just because you wanted new carpet, I'd say do what pleases you most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
Then why are you doing it at all? If you're so concerned about waste and all.

Old 09-25-2014, 07:04 AM

20,419 posts, read 39,104,111 times
mkarch said it has not held up well; that is the reason for the replacement.
It MAY also be the wrong color/style for their furnishings.

Old 09-25-2014, 07:17 AM

33,066 posts, read 61,882,928 times
Ah, apologies. I missed the "not holding up well" part.

Old 10-18-2014, 06:33 AM

11 posts, read 19,106 times
Texture of the carpet depends upon it's piles, it is the top surface of the carpet and it varies in heights as well as density. Therefor selecting a carpet is most for decorating your home.

Old 10-21-2014, 11:17 AM

15,856 posts, read 25,993,380 times
Just food for thought.
A friend bought a house a while ago, the whole entire house was carpeted in a light gray tweed sculptured rug. It wasnt ugly, it was just the whole houe.

My friend ripped it up before moving day and had the floors sanded.....
then talking to the neighbor one day, the neighbor said the previous owners had the carpeting installed ony a month ago when they put the house up for sale.

moral of story:
what you think might look nice, to someone else wont.

So it was a waste of money on the sellers side, a waste for someone to lay, a waste for the new people to rip up and throw away...

dont do anything, leave what ever floors you have, remember this is the real world, not HGTV

Old 10-21-2014, 06:45 PM

11,547 posts, read 5,300,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Just food for thought.
A friend bought a house a while ago, the whole entire house was carpeted in a light gray tweed sculptured rug. It wasnt ugly, it was just the whole houe.

My friend ripped it up before moving day and had the floors sanded.....
then talking to the neighbor one day, the neighbor said the previous owners had the carpeting installed ony a month ago when they put the house up for sale.

moral of story:
what you think might look nice, to someone else wont.

So it was a waste of money on the sellers side, a waste for someone to lay, a waste for the new people to rip up and throw away...

dont do anything, leave what ever floors you have, remember this is the real world, not HGTV
I agree, but for some reason most real estate agents push people to install new flooring. And yet I have had more than one tell me that the people who do install new flooring will lose money. It doesn't raise the value of the house enough to pay for it. Maybe most agents are not good enough to get potential buyers to envision what the house could look like when the buyer decorates it. Or they are just lazy.

Old 10-22-2014, 07:28 AM

452 posts, read 767,381 times
I agree with Nightcrawler. If the carpet does not show any stains and is in good condition leave it alone. If it does show stains have someone come in an clean it and get all the stains out.

The biggest issue with selling is having a pet, it is either you are a pet person or not and when you sell you cut half the people out when you have one. If you are a smoker you cut your audience down significantly.

Old 10-22-2014, 07:34 AM

21,981 posts, read 12,999,855 times
I think it's a catch-22. Buyers are very likely to want to put down flooring of their choice. But they are also turned off by worn, stained carpet. I personally think that if you have a good real estate agent that you trust, they are going to be the best opinion on whether it's worth it to replace carpet that is really beat up and prevents a house from showing well, or if you can get away with cleaning the current carpet. And while it's true that you may not see a direct return on investment, if your house sells more quickly, that's a benefit to factor in. That's particularly true if you house is vacant and you are paying 2 mortgages - the carrying costs can easily cover new carpeting in just a month or two!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating