U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 11:26 AM

15,856 posts, read 26,052,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I think it's a catch-22. Buyers are very likely to want to put down flooring of their choice. But they are also turned off by worn, stained carpet. I personally think that if you have a good real estate agent that you trust, they are going to be the best opinion on whether it's worth it to replace carpet that is really beat up and prevents a house from showing well, or if you can get away with cleaning the current carpet. And while it's true that you may not see a direct return on investment, if your house sells more quickly, that's a benefit to factor in. That's particularly true if you house is vacant and you are paying 2 mortgages - the carrying costs can easily cover new carpeting in just a month or two!

wouldnt bother me at all because either way it is getting ripped up and thrown out.
so in my mind, even though i would rip up brand new carpeting, it seems better to rip something old and worn up makes you not feel as bad.

who cares what the realtor says, in the long run, its your home do what you want.
persoanlly i would not waste money on updates, sell as is and call it a day.

there is a buyer for everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2014, 03:35 PM

23,503 posts, read 12,042,977 times
In my area the realtors say the buyers don't want to fix up the house. They want move in ready. The more it looks move in ready the faster it will sell.

Old 10-22-2014, 05:29 PM

15,856 posts, read 26,052,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
In my area the realtors say the buyers don't want to fix up the house. They want move in ready. The more it looks move in ready the faster it will sell.
That is what your realtor is saying. There are many people that want to make it their own, and like to do home projects. I think there is this HGTV big mis-leading thing, where people move in and just place their furniture and start watching TV.

This is not reality, unless your moving into a custom home.

The everyday home buyer just doesn't move in and start living. It doesnt happen that way.

No ones taste is the same, everyone has to paint, no matter how clean you are.

Old 10-22-2014, 09:31 PM

50,731 posts, read 40,119,236 times
Fresh paint and new flooring will help a house sell, generally speaking.

True story - from just a few months ago:

We had been looking at homes for several months. Most were in the $105-$112 per square foot range (common for nice homes in this area). Most of these homes were in good condition but needed a bit of tweaking just for our personal taste.

We went to an open house in the neighborhood we were interested in. The price had just been reduced and the house was listed at $79 a square foot. Inside the house was old, worn carpet, lots of wallpaper...but a great floor plan and really quality construction -in other words, great bones.

We made an offer, and got the house for $77 a square foot. No, we STOLE the house at $77 a square foot.

We put $17,000 into redoing all the floors and the seller removed the wallpaper and painted the walls neutral - at their cost. We put in mostly hardwoods, but some nice carpet in the minor bedrooms and beautiful accent carpet (wool) up the stairway. So we ended up "paying" $84 a square foot.

If the sellers had removed the wallpaper prior to the offer, and replaced the carpet with the same general stuff we put in, they could have sold the house for at least $100 a square foot. The house is 2500 square feet. Do the math - that's a $40,000 difference. FORTY THOUSAND DOLLARS.

By the way - that's the budget we gave ourselves to really pimp out the kitchen and back yard - WOOHOOOO!!!!!

Old 10-25-2014, 09:34 PM

25,466 posts, read 16,415,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glopop11 View Post
I am replacing the carpet throughout my home prior to putting it up for sale. I'm not sure if I should use the same carpet in every room. Currently, I have the same Berber in the living room, going up the stairs and in the upstairs hallway. Each of the three upstairs bedrooms have a different color of regular (non Berber) carpet. There is also a family room, separated by French doors and one step, off of the living room that has regular carpet but is a similar color/ shade as the Berber.

I will definitely replace the Berbered areas with new Berber. But what should I do about the family room and bedrooms? I like the look and feel of regular carpet in the bedrooms, but is it ok if each bedroom has the same carpet? Should they all be different or the same? And what about the family room?

Thanks in advance!
I would carpet in the same neutral tone throughout your home's carpeted areas, unless there might be one special room where you could put a related but still neutral carpet. Berber is a dated look. Keep an open mind, but consider using a more current style of carpet. Ask your realtor for advice about what style works for your area. There is a sort of rule, that you should not have more than 3 flooring choices in a home. I think that is a little extreme, if the house is large, but you get the idea.

Old 10-26-2014, 03:42 PM

19,188 posts, read 5,179,932 times
If your carpet might prevent the house from selling then put in new.
Yes, the people may rip it up, or like it, who knows, at least your house
will look more attractive. All the same neutral tone is probably safest.

Old 10-26-2014, 03:52 PM

39,184 posts, read 48,160,480 times
I think you should get all the same carpet everywhere. Get a nice medium pile neutral that will not draw attention to itself.

Old 10-27-2014, 10:25 AM

11,372 posts, read 10,989,340 times
I'm having the same issue - the carpet in my master thanks to kids is ratty, stained, and worn. All of the cleaners in the world aren't going to make it look any better. So it will have to go. In my area at least the carpet would be a liability even if someone intends to replace it with flooring of their choice. The previous poster is right - you won't see any added value but if something is a detractor, replacement can decrease the amount of time that it would sit on the market. Flooring credits aren't the norm here unless the floors are really dated/bad. Even if people do desire wood floors, I've seen few homes voluntarily give credits for a wood floor. I can only assume that if wood floors are so important, people would just narrow their search to homes that have mostly wood floors.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:17 PM

28,362 posts, read 34,934,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
wouldnt bother me at all because either way it is getting ripped up and thrown out.
It would bother me. I wouldn't buy a house that had nasty carpet. Period.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:29 PM

598 posts, read 465,051 times
If you are thinking of doing this to sell your house, it will be a big waste of money. Most people these days do NOT want wall to wall carpeting. It is highly likely that the buyers will rip out what you just had laid down. I had a similar situation when I sold my house last year. The carpet was 15 years old and out of date. The tile in the kitchen and entry was also out of date. I asked my real estate agent about replacing the flooring or giving a flooring allowance. He was against doing either. He said whoever buys it will put in their own flooring, and once you start giving a flooring allowance, it gives the buyers ideas and they'll start to want an allowance for other things that are not "perfect" He said just price it based on the location, the market, and the condition of the house. So I did, and since mine needed some remodeling, it was priced less than comparable houses in my area. It did sell in a reasonable amount of time, after one price reduction. After reducing the price, I received 3 offers, all above asking price. I went with the highest one and have no regrets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating